Thread: RKA owner Richard Battles Video of Deer Strike

RKA owner Richard Battles Video of Deer Strike

Some readers may know Richard Battles of RKA luggage (and other stuff) in Sonoma County, CA. Richard was riding in Colorado recently (maybe today?) and struck an eight-point buck which crossed in front of him from right to left. He posted some video, and I think I've got the link below. He said he was riding his R1200 at just under 50mph at the time of the strike. Deer died, Richard has two broken ribs, and rode ten miles after the strike to be treated. Here's the link:

http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=ewmhea...L_5FaXWUus5QsW
    John Gamel
    2008 Kalahari Beige R1200RT
    LEOSA Certified

Yikes!!! He was lucky.
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Yikes!!! He was lucky.
    Somewhat lucky. Really lucky is when the bike doesn't go down and you don't get hurt.

The deer did make it a more interesting video.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Wow. Made my wife cringe and then ask if the deer was ok.

That video really brings an all too common reality home. The guy is riding at a sensible speed in broad daylight, and suddenly... No time to do anything.

Sure, those of us who are concerned about hitting a deer can decrease the odds by not riding at dawn, dusk or night. We can decrease our speed in the twisties to be able to stop if some stupid deer is standing in the middle of the road. We can scan like crazy for deer emerging from a ditch or cover.

None of these preventive measures would have helped this fellow or many others who have experienced similar accidents.

The fact is, there are just too damn many deer almost everywhere in North America. Neither regular hunting nor predators nor disease are keeping the populace in check.

My suggested solution? Commercial hunting. Prime venison, properly treated, is VERY good eating! Many folk who wouldn't think of picking up a rifle, much less learning how to clean and skin a deer, would be happy to buy venison in their supermarket. And I bet a lot of people are getting tired of hitting deer with their 4-wheel vehicles. It is expensive, though of course not nearly as dangerous as hitting one on a bike.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Commercial hunting might help in a some places, but deer are perfectly happy to live in areas where even archery hunting would be unacceptable from a safety standpoint.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Jack Herbst
    Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Some readers may know Richard Battles of RKA luggage (and other stuff) in Sonoma County, CA. Richard was riding in Colorado recently (maybe today?) and struck an eight-point buck which crossed in front of him from right to left. He posted some video, and I think I've got the link below. He said he was riding his R1200 at just under 50mph at the time of the strike. Deer died, Richard has two broken ribs, and rode ten miles after the strike to be treated. Here's the link:

http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=ewmhea...L_5FaXWUus5QsW
    I was in Paonia at the Top Of The Rockies rally this past weekend. He set up his display Wednesday PM and was suddenly gone on Thursday. We wondered why he up and left so suddenly. Now we know.

Glad he is OK. I am sure the bike is not. Thanks for sharing the video.

Jack
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

Rick is such a nice guy, hate to see this happen to him.

Glad it's only a couple of broken ribs.

Thanks for posting this.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.