Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Embarrassing closing ceremony

Next election process starts in January 2013. Good luck everyone!
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

I found this thread to be quite amusing. You'd think by some of the comments posted here we were locked in the grandstands and forced to stay at the ceremony. Of course looking back the flame throwers should have been canceled, and the long winded speakers should have kept it short. Bottom line is no one who was uncomfortable had to stay. Quit the whining, if the ceremonies pain you so much, why attend them?

Quote Originally Posted by MildBill View Post
    I found this thread to be quite amusing. You'd think by some of the comments posted here we were locked in the grandstands and forced to stay at the ceremony. Of course looking back the flame throwers should have been canceled, and the long winded speakers should have kept it short. Bottom line is no one who was uncomfortable had to stay. Quit the whining, if the ceremonies pain you so much, why attend them?
    Maybe because "you must be present to win."

regarding booing

I think that there may be more than one perspective on this, based on your location in the stands during the "performance" by the flame cars.

Early arrivals had the sense to sit in the higher seats, since only in this area was there any shade from the sun. Later arrivals, myself included, took the only available seats which were in the sun, and coincidentally, closer to the track.

As uncomfortable as the additional heat was from these cars, the heat emitted when two cars "flamed" simultaneously was dangerously hot. In fact, I was under the impression that the hair on several people had been singed as a result of this. People who were still entering the arena, and were in the walkway adjacent to the track, either ducked or tried to shield themselves from the heat. The screams coming from the rally participants were not those of someone enjoying the thrill. I don't think anyone exposed to this were the least bit amused by it. At this point the boo's started from the stands and I booed along with the rest.

This wasn't a matter of good manners, it was a matter of safety! This was one of the most foolish, no stupid, activities I have ever encountered. Thank God there were no serious injuries (that I am aware of).

Perhaps rally participants at the other end of the stands had a different perspective, so I wanted to present the other side of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
    I don't think anyone exposed to this were the least bit amused by it. At this point the boo's started from the stands and I booed along with the rest.
    people also booed during the presentation by the Foundation people.

really poor form.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    people also booed during the presentation by the Foundation people.

really poor form.
    After 72+ hours of brutal heat, patience and tempers were well below the wear bars by the time the closing ceremonies rolled around. And as for "If you didn't want to be there, leave" logic - wrong. Under current policy, you're forced to be there should your number be selected for a prize.

Every year, I'm eligible to win a $130,000+ airplane from the EAA - and I don't have to be present to win! The MOA Rally planners need to revamp the rules for the Closing Ceremonies.

As for 'booing,' something I've never done, despite attending numerous sporting events and competitive contests. Just seems a level of mob mentality and behavior that I think we should all be above - not because we're BMW owners - because it's immature and something we should have grown out of by now.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Booing

You ever been to an Eagles game? They booed Santa Clause one year. Tough crowd in good old PA.

We didn't just boo Santa, we threw snowballs at him. I for one, was pissed I didn't get the new BMW I'd asked him for. Anyway, I'm glad it was too hot for snowballs in Bloomsburg.
    My two cents, I understand the "must be present to win policy" the stands would have been empty, at the same time in this case and considering the heat, the whole thing would have gone smoother and faster by just picking a winner and moving on. I feel very bad for the organizers and volunteers, for the the most part it was a great event, it was just so damn hot!

I can't believe this thread still lives!
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    2013 GL1800 Goldwing
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

Quote Originally Posted by donmcdevitt View Post
    My two cents, I understand the "must be present to win policy", the stands would have been empty, ...
    If that is true, then I would say that the customers have voted and we should respect that. Does this not mean that the whole closing ceremony concept may need re-engineering?
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

One can only hope. IMHO anything over:45 is a load of.....
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 2BikeMike View Post
    I can't believe this thread still lives!
    I think this thread still "lives and breathes" because with next year in Sedalia, MO (a potential oven), members are looking for assurances / game plans that it will not be a carbon-copy of Bloomsburg, in terms of heat management.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    I think this thread still "lives and breathes" because with next year in Sedalia, MO (a potential oven), members are looking for assurances / game plans that it will not be a carbon-copy of Bloomsburg, in terms of heat management.
    dude.

we're going with turbine-powered flame cars next year, and using the afterburner to melt down a stack of rusted harleys.

Can we pile the harleys up and have them crushed by GS's before melting? We could put it next to the water feature for the competition.

I don't see any basis for a rally goer needing to be present to win a donated prize. How much of an advertising advantage or any advantage, goes to the donor who requires presence as opposed to one who does not? Some donors might object and no longer donate, if so it would make no difference for those not in attendance.

Since the closing ceremonies seem to continually generate complaints, lets eliminate the "winner must be present" option for our kind and generous donors. Surely they would be inclined to listen to reason. It's not right that they dictate a policy that causes so much anger & frustration among our members.

This accomplished, those who attend the ceremonies would choose to. Having an appreciative audience would make everyone feel better.