Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Embarrassing closing ceremony

Talking

This was my first Rally and I enjoyed all the events and vendors and food. I did not camp but stayed at the University Dorms which was a blessing. On the last day we arrived about 8am then left about 2pm to go shower (again) and get some early dinner to come back for the closing ceremony.

Luckily for us we arrived after 6:30pm or so and missed the flaming cars. I saw photos on the forum and I agree that that was more like something at a Harley rally. The reason we enjoyed the Rally so much is because it was unlike any other motorcycle event we have ever attended. Folks were polite and friendly despite the extreme temps and as two women attending we never felt uncomfortable or threatened in any way.

It's hard to please everybody, but nobody held a gun to your head to make you stay and sit in the bleachers for two hours. Use common sense and get out of the kitchen if you can't stand the heat. We arrived late and it was uncomfortable but we decided to stay because it was our first Rally. The many volunteers scrambled to get water to people throughout the weekend and did the best they could considering the conditions. I thank them for their efforts!

Thanks to all my fellow members who made us feel welcomed and safe!
    Patti B

'00 R1100R
    '08 F800ST

NE Arkansas - Between Goobertown and Buck Snort
    I was pre-registered, but stayed home because my wife developed a back problem and needed me here.
    But having endured two days of insane heat at Lima in 2005, I am grateful that I was spared a 2,000-mile round trip and three days of rallying in brutal heat.
    I've been going to BMW MOA rallies since 1986 and have come to dread the closing ceremonies because of the cutesy antics of some of the narcissistic MOA rally organizers who don't have the good sense to know that less is more when it comes to things like this. The closing ceremonies at Midland, Trenton, and Charleston stand out in my memory in this regard.
    It sounds to me like the rally organizers decided their show had to go on as planned, regardless of how much the crowd was suffering from heat.
    Sadly, we may be in for the same weather next year in Missouri. Let's hope the MOA folks learned something from this year's experience.
    John M. Flora
    '03 K1200GT, '94 K75S
    MOA # 23538, RA # 16295, AMA Life Member
    Secret Squadron # SQ24418

Here was what I was angry about the GS Giant.

1. I was angry I didn't own a GS, because frankly that whole thing looked like some of the most fun you can have on a motorcycle.
    2. I was disappointed there wasn't someone on the sport-touring side willing to think something like this whole thing up for RT riders -- bust their knuckles for months (for free) putting the vision (visian?) down on paper, recruite other selfless folks to come on board and help, and then put all the pieces together successfully to make it all happen.
    3. I was a bit peeved that the winner hopped on the bike and ripped up the track a bit to show off the prize. I would much have preferred another 20 minutes of speechifying.
    Just awful I tell you.

In all seriousness, no matter what I had a far better time than had I been sitting in my nice, air conditioned office and for that I thanks ALL the folks who worked so hard to make this all happen.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Sadly, we may be in for the same weather next year in Missouri. Let's hope the MOA folks learned something from this year's experience.

happy2ride

Not offended but still coughing

I am surprised that after 20 years of experience you still choose to attend the painstaking ceremony. I, with only 7 years experience, choose to forgo the excruciating pain and had a glass of wine and a scrumptious dinner.
    Having had many years of hosting radio, writing and TV announcing, I offered my services three times to help resuscitate the laborious program they call "the closing ceremonies", the only response I heard was "we're fine".

Here's a suggestion: after all the cigar and cigarette smoke I inhaled during this last rally, I think it appropriate to have oxygen next to the H2O stations for the next rally. The stench of a Macanudo under the food tent or the permeating odor of a sweat drenched cigarette, while listening to a performer, won't be high on my request sheet for future rallies.
    I do agree, the attention to details and the consideration of the attendees needs revamping.

Next year site in Sedalia,Mo. I will not be going - Heat is one thing, Tornado's are another. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wXYh...layer_embedded - site is a couple streets away
    '91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753

excuses

Quote Originally Posted by 119240 View Post
    Next year site in Sedalia,Mo. I will not be going - Heat is one thing, Tornado's are another. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wXYh...layer_embedded - site is a couple streets away
    Excuses are easy. How many motorcyclists have ever been killed by a tornado at a rally?
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    Excuses are easy. How many motorcyclists have ever been killed by a tornado at a rally?
    I'll go along with that one. Something tells me that statistically you're a lot more likely to get hurt riding a motorcycle than by a tornado. Checking the stats, annual tornado deaths are in the tens, occasionally getting into the hundreds. Motorcycle deaths run 2-5000 annually. And to get hit by a tornado when one recently landed in almost the same spot?
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

THANKS to Statdawg;

Offering your home for GS activities is beyond what we've seen before at any National rally I've been to, in my very long rally'in past. Thanks for the generous hospitality indeed. We sure had a hoot of a time throughout the GS Gypsy Tour and so many to thank. The closing ceremonies are taking a hit here, as expected perhaps and the few days of heat came to a boil at the end. Many lost patience and thats the nature of the beast I guess in mass numbers! Maybe we can take a lesson from our destinquished past and move on to better days, cooler weather! The BMW'ON is the best representing factor for so much of what we as a rally attendee need to hear in these circumstances, so let the magazine represent so much more of this to many MORE members, than at the rally and keep us happier. I know the big rally is our premier annual event and much needs to be said, but please take note, listen up without taking offense, as none is really intended. Thanks again Chris and all the GS Gypsy riders and workerbees, I'll always treat as family. Randy

Closing ceremony

The closing ceremony has drawn complaints for the 28 years that I have attended the rallies. After this year's closing ceremony, it is obviously that MOA management has not heeded our pleas.

Those boos, and the steady stream of people leaving throughout the ceremony, were indicative that many rally goers were not pleased. And many of the older members were sick and suffering because of the heat. We were very lucky someone did not have a serious heat injury. Further evidence of a problem is how many names had to be drawn to find someone present to accept a prize.

Surely MOA management realized how hot it was in those stands. But despite obvious displeasure from many members, MOA management seemed determined to forge ahead, regardless.

After all these years of rallies, this is a simple problem to solve.

Give 30 minutes for recognition and announcements. Give 30 minutes for the awarding of prizes and awards. One hour is very sufficient for a closing ceremony, and it should not go one minute beyond the hour.

All grand prizes should be awarded whether the recipient is present or not. Why punish riders who have to be back at work Monday morning?

All information included in the ceremony is printed in the magazine, and can be read by members.

Come on, MOA. Fix this problem once and for all.

Come on, MOA. Fix this problem once and for all.

the MOA is not going to change anything, not the dates the rally is held, not the closing ceremony, nothing ! they don't care what anyone thinks, they will just keep on doing what they have always done, oblivious to what the membership wants. when rally attendance and membership falls off they will look to each other and wonder why. the writing is on the wall as to the future of the MOA if only they choose to see it.

"They" are us

If you are determined to change things, run for the Board and change them - I did, it was a very rewarding experience. You could even recruit a few other folks to run with you and make a major part of your platform reform of how the MOA does rallies.

If I liked what you put down outlining what the problem was and how you proposed to fix it you'd have my vote.

Ted
    Ted
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

When the next election????????? Who want to sign off my form????? Be careful what you wish for.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    "They" are us

If you are determined to change things, run for the Board and change them - I did, it was a very rewarding experience. You could even recruit a few other folks to run with you and make a major part of your platform reform of how the MOA does rallies.

If I liked what you put down outlining what the problem was and how you proposed to fix it you'd have my vote.

Ted
    Michael Johnston
    Founder: Veteran BMW Riders Name Change to: BMW Club Veteran Riders international
    www.veteranbmwriders.org

Quote Originally Posted by nytrashman View Post

the MOA is not going to change anything, not the dates the rally is held, not the closing ceremony, nothing ! they don't care what anyone thinks, they will just keep on doing what they have always done, oblivious to what the membership wants. when rally attendance and membership falls off they will look to each other and wonder why. the writing is on the wall as to the future of the MOA if only they choose to see it.
    You want some cheese with that??
    '04 Silver R1150RT "Big Oel". '05 Yellow KLR 650
    '00 Red Suzuki Bandit 600
    '65 Allstate/Puch 250 twingle
    "I just want somewhere to ride and food when I get there."

Quote Originally Posted by vetbmwrider View Post
    When the next election????????? Who want to sign off my form????? Be careful what you wish for.
    LoL - I am not sure, here is what I would do.

1. Read the bylaws, especially section 4:
    http://www.bmwmoa.org/club/about_the...bmw_moa_bylaws
    2. Call or e-mail MOA HQ and ask for the e-mail for the head of the candidate recruitment committee. Contact that person, they will have all the election info for you.
    3. Write up a 300 to 400 word position statement. Start with a broad outline of how you see things now and how you would like to change them. Then bullet your specific goals and how you want to achieve them. Then wrap up again in broad terms what kind of leader you hope to be and why folks should vote for you.
    4. Then get the word out on forums that you are running and start building up support!
    Ted
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages