Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Embarrassing closing ceremony

Quote Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
    I made my opinion know. You can't fix problems if you don't know they exist and a polite approach is always more accepted than just ranting and raving.
    Look forward to catching up with you next time.
    Ian.
    ++++1 on that. It just works so much better if we all start the conversation with respect for the other person. I don't have the time to troll the forum as much as I would like to, so I really appreciate it when I can engage in a productive conversation rather than dodge shoes.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Next year

I might make a donation to place the person who made the decision to bring the flame cars to the rally in a dunking booth filled with ice water.

That had to be surpassed by the person who then decided to have the cars make repeated runs despite the disapproval of the audience.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    I might make a donation to place the person who made the decision to bring the flame cars to the rally in a dunking booth filled with ice water.

That had to be surpassed by the person who then decided to have the cars make repeated runs despite the disapproval of the audience.
    You know - on a cool summer evening with a pleasant breeze, those 'flaming cars' might have proven to be curiously entertaining.

Just the wrong option at the wrong time, given short tempers and evaporated patience. Still doesn't excuse the rude behavior that became infectious.

I'm confident that for Sedalia, much criticism has been digested and efforts will be made to operate an outstanding Rally.

That seems to be the nature of this MOA venue - identify 'glitches' (NOT mistakes - just 'glitches') and keep the process evolving to produce a wonderful gathering of BMW owners.

See you in Sedalia!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.)
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer,THE REF Staff)
    Iron Butt Association Member # 34281

Believe me when I say that if there were one thing we could retroactively change about the Bloomsburg rally - that would be it. And no one would like to do that more than the guy behind those cars.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.

I'm sure the flame cars were contracted based on normal weather. If the weather had been normal, the flame cars would have been nice.

Being a tightwad, I can also understand why someone would decide to let them continue to complete their contracted runs. When I purchase something to eat that is less tasty I expected, I sometimes eat it anyway because I don't want to waste it and throw it away. I suspect someone didn't want to be accused of paying for something that was not delivered.

Nobody did anything they didn't think was in the best interests of the membership.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

JoeDabbs
    All these complaints...I chose to just walk away until the flames were over.

Code:
    If you don't need to be present to win the Grand Prize then why change the ground rules for the remainder. Please consider the hard-working volunteers out there who are excluded from winning under this strange rule, simply because they are busy volunteering somewhere else on site to provide the masses with First Aid cover, Security, BEER !!!! etc.
    If the prize donors insist that the winner be present then a proxy should be allowed to claim any prize won by a volunteer who is working at that time.
    At least twice that I can remember, someone in the crowd shouted out that the winner was working in the beer tent (or other place); someone got ahold of the winner, and they claimed their prize.

That's not a foolproof way of handling volunteers who are not present, but it can work. Despite that, there may still be a better way.

Muriel
    BMW MOA Secretary
    '07 F650 '12 F650 twin
    Running on One Cylinder - except when running on two

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muriel View Post
    Code:
    If you don't need to be present to win the Grand Prize then why change the ground rules for the remainder. Please consider the hard-working volunteers out there who are excluded from winning under this strange rule, simply because they are busy volunteering somewhere else on site to provide the masses with First Aid cover, Security, BEER !!!! etc.
    If the prize donors insist that the winner be present then a proxy should be allowed to claim any prize won by a volunteer who is working at that time.
    At least twice that I can remember, someone in the crowd shouted out that the winner was working in the beer tent (or other place); someone got ahold of the winner, and they claimed their prize.

That's not a foolproof way of handling volunteers who are not present, but it can work. Despite that, there may still be a better way.

Muriel
    Maybe the cell phone number could be included with the name and rather than having to be present they would only have to be reachable.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    Maybe the cell phone number could be included with the name and rather than having to be present they would only have to be reachable.
    Ahh, technology! Cool idea!

Muriel
    BMW MOA Secretary
    '07 F650 '12 F650 twin
    Running on One Cylinder - except when running on two