Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Embarrassing closing ceremony

Capt. Grudo

Embarrassing closing ceremony

I waited two days but cannot wait much longer. Here goes the closing ceremony was sad and, for me, embarrassing. I am a member for over 20 years and always thought that I am a member of a class act. After all, we ride that bike and not that bike. There is a bit of snobbery (justified in my opinion, till last rally) in belonging to this group. Then came the closing ceremony

The flame throwing cars were a combination of a NASCAR event / Monster car bash / and that brand rally. Very bad and very sad. But it gets worse. When the crowd boooed their displeasure and physical discomfort, we were told that we already paid for it  and it continued. Our leaders forgot that they are chosen and have to do as we desire. But enough was written on that aspect. The worse part of the closing ceremony were us. Yes, us, the elite.

Each tiny pause in the mc narrative was greeted with enthusiastic applause. I estimate that the crowd was applauding every 20-30 seconds. But it still gets worse. The lowest point was when the females amongst us (and some, well men) were screaming. Now, mind you, it was not shouting. It was not applauding. It was a screechy scream worthy of hysterical dim witted teenager at a rock concert, and it went on and on and on and on till I had to leave and find some quiet and intelligent company with my r1200gs.

Reading most of the other postings, I realize that I am in a tiny minority ÔÇô so be it. Most posts are like listening to callers to a talk show. Most call to express their admiration for the host and to declare to all the listening world how much they agree with him and how great he is, but what is the point? WasnÔÇÖt there enough self congratulating in this rally itself?.

Dear vendors, I love you, I really do. I just bought two helmets and a windshield from Revzilla and a big tank bag from Twisted Throttle. Had a great service at BobÔÇÖs when I visited the East coast etc. I also appreciate your gifts to us, but gifts should be just that, ÔÇ£giftsÔÇØ. You remind me of the obnoxious uncle that gave you a picture for your wedding ÔÇô provided you hang it in the living room. If you think that giving a free product to a lucky winner gives you any right whatsoever, especially the right to hold us as captive audience in the most uncomfortable conditions ÔÇô you are right. You are right but only with a subdued and docile audience like our membership. People that will be blasted by 60 feet flames on a 100 degrees days and stay to get more. Most other groups that I am familiar with would have left you alone with your flames.

OK. I feel better now.

BTW. When I asked some of my dear BMW riding friends that were with me in the rally for their opinion, the answer, in different forms, was What? You stayed for the closing ceremony?

Capt. Doron Grudo
    Master Mariner (Ret)
    Tulsa, OK
    Doron
    1991 K75
    2005 R1200RT - Totalled but not forgotten.
    2005 R1200GS

I too was embarrassed. The obnoxious booing was a totally classless act.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

My own 2 cents worth

I too was embarrassed by the booing. I thought that as a group, we had more class than that. Not to say that i disliked the heat from the flame car's any less. And i agree that after the first pass, they should have just stopped and taken their bow and gone away.

As far as the vendors go... maybe i'm just used to one dealer owner in particular who is known for being long-winded. The other's didn't bother me at all.

Frankly i didn't think that it was necessary to introduce every single person who did something for the rally. Why couldn't they have just add a thank you in the rally program, like a Broadway show does? That alone would have decreased the time that we sat in the 100 degree heat by 1/2 an hour.
    Somers, NY

Just enjoying the ride.......

Beer garden

Hi Scott:
    WOW ! From what I have been reading, I think that I was lucky to be running the BG !
    See you @ Heath
    Jim

Not the first time

I know of one donor who no longer gives a prize (it was substantial) because of booing at previous closing ceremonies.
    Volunteer for the 2014 Rally in St. Paul. rallyvolunteer@bmwmoa.org

Capt. Grudo

Whaaaattt ????

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    I know of one donor who no longer gives a prize (it was substantial) because of booing at previous closing ceremonies.
    Donor not giving a prize? and, OMG, it was a substantial one? What are we? a bunch of beggers? Is it a motorcycle riding meeting or a charity affair? Let me put it in simple terms. We all lack in Honor and Pride (except in commercials). Tell this donor (who, by the way, is a vendor and a for-profit shop) that he can stuff his substantial prize. Trust me that if his sales were suffering he would give two prizes and ask for booing. He is a bussinesman for crying out loud.

Oh, would someone write a nice post praising me, my riding abilities and my clever postings. I will pay $50 to the best post. No, I am not kidding !!! Sound insulting? What would you do for a freebie at the rally? sit in the sun for three hours?

Captain Doron Grudo
    Master Mariner (Ret)
    Tulsa OK
    Doron
    1991 K75
    2005 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by dorongrudo View Post
    Donor not giving a prize? and, OMG, it was a substantial one? What are we? a bunch of beggers? Is it a motorcycle riding meeting or a charity affair? Let me put it in simple terms. We all lack in Honor and Pride (except in commercials). Tell this donor (who, by the way, is a vendor and a for-profit shop) that he can stuff his substantial prize. Trust me that if his sales were suffering he would give two prizes and ask for booing. He is a bussinesman for crying out loud.

Oh, would someone write a nice post praising me, my riding abilities and my clever postings. I will pay $50 to the best post. No, I am not kidding !!! Sound insulting? What would you do for a freebie at the rally? sit in the sun for three hours?

Captain Doron Grudo
    Master Mariner (Ret)
    Tulsa OK
    Interesting question. Would I sit in the sun for three hours just for the possibility of winning a prize? My wife and I answered it with a resounding No. We went back to the dorm and stayed it out in the AC.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

Be prepared

I have been to these affairs before.

I was in the Boy Scouts. Be Prepared was our motto.

I took a cooler with plenty of beer and water and an MP3 player.

Of course nothing could protect me from the NASCAR/Harley based demo of flaming retards.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dorongrudo View Post

What an incredible post, class act, hit the nail on the head. Obviously written by a person of exquisite sophistication and wit. It only follows that he must be a skilled and talented rider, showing such depth and knowledge of the subject. Posts by dorongruder are the sole reason I renew my MOA subscription.

(and thanks for the shock a couple years ago!)
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Capt. Grudo
    Quote Originally Posted by 35634 View Post
    What an incredible post, class act, hit the nail on the head. Obviously written by a person of exquisite sophistication and wit. It only follows that he must be a skilled and talented rider, showing such depth and knowledge of the subject. Posts by dorongruder are the sole reason I renew my MOA subscription.

(and thanks for the shock a couple years ago!)
    ================

So nice hearing from you after such a long time. I am happy that you got good use of the shock. We riders should help each other. Now, as you are the best (and only) candidate, please send me your address and I will mail you the $50.
    Doron
    1991 K75
    2005 R1200GS

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I too was embarrassed. The obnoxious booing was a totally classless act.
    I am in totally agreement. What make's the above comment so disheartening is Paul was on the stage area, where he could hear the booing. I was hoping with the wind blowing towards the stands, the stage participants might not hear the disgruntled crowd's displeasure.

Yes it was hot (especially with the cars) and yes with the heat, the closing ceremonies were long. But it must have been very disappointing for people who had worked hard, for possibly two years to bring us this rally, to be treated so shabbily. They deserved better. Without an army of chairpersons and volunteers, our MOA Rallies will never happen. Tolerance, not crowd mentality was needed on the part of the grandstand attendees.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

My two cents- this was my first rally. I really did appreciate the efforts of the people who put this big event together.

However, I arrived 30 minutes before the start of the ceremony. I was in the first row of seats off the track baking in the sun. We all know how hot it was. The flame cars were a neat idea but given the conditions should have been cancelled. We did not boo the first time they went past. It was on the third or fourth pass that they got booed. After four days in the heat, this was PAINFUL!

Secondly, those who organized the closing ceremonies should have realized that 6 pm was a bad time to hold the ceremonies. The entire grandstand was roasting in the sun. Those on the stage, while hot due to the heat, were not the ones being roasted. Sorry. but the ceremony should have been pushed back one hour. By 7-715pm, the grandstand was in the shade and the conditions tolerable.

Third, I don't mind the acknowledging the efforts of those who make this organization as great is it is. However, given the conditions, many of the speakers should have been cut short. The GS Giant, a great event for the GS riders, was given WAYYYYYYY to much time in relationship to those in attendance. If, for example 600 people participated in someway, that left approx, 6000 people bored out of their minds. The video screens, the points totals, etc were fine but I really didn't need to hear how much roast beef or beer was consumed at a BBQ in April.

Fourth, people who do not like to speak in public should not be forced to do so. One gentleman, who is doing great things for the club, speaks in such a monotone he put many of us to sleep.

As for the Vendors, I think they should have been given their due. They gave the club great prizes. I think they deserved the 3-4 minute commercial to promote their companies. I had no problems with them.

My two cents...

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by rvb1019 View Post
    If, for example 600 people participated in someway, that left approx, 6000 people bored out of their minds. The video screens, the points totals, etc were fine but I really didn't need to hear how much roast beef or beer was consumed at a BBQ in April.
    i guess listening comprehension is hard.

Riders from around the country met up in western PA on Sunday prior to the rally. the bbq was on tuesday night before the rally, the end of the GS Gypsy Tour. the people who did this *loved* the event and had a *great* time.

does it not make *any* sense to you these people would like to share their experience with the rest of the family?

i feel that we should all try to be a little more open to others in our family. if only in the interested of delivering a membership experience that doesn't suck.

my two cents.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

let your fellow members bore you even MORE!

Qualified Fecal Stirrer KBikeKev's Avatar
    Nice video. Almost makes me want to get a GS, looked like a lot fun. At least you guys beat the heat!
    Kevin Wood
    MSG U.S. Army, Ret.
    BMWMOA 131753, ABC 129393
    99 K1200RS, 71 R60/5, 85 K100RS - SOLD