Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 57

Thread: Who do you blame

  1. #16
    Novice Adventurer Newstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Landenberg, PA
    Posts
    2,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    As a veteran MSF instructor, I can certainly sympathize with your 'rant,' but only up to a point.

    I too get 'blamed and flamed' on student-feedback surveys, where they list everything from rain to cold to heat as my fault, as if I had some mythical control over the elements of Nature.
    Is it your fault when they do not meet objectives and fail? Or is that just mine alone.

  2. #17
    just hangin' out 2bikemike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Knoxville,TN
    Posts
    1,210
    Quote Originally Posted by robnye View Post
    Blaming the MOA for having the rally in July?
    Yep. Don't get me wrong here, I loved my time at the rally. It was hot no doubt. But who controls the weather? Folks are wanting a later date like early September.
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    2013 GL1800 Goldwing
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

  3. #18
    Registered User marcopolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    655
    Some of the discussion about the heat and humidity reminds me how, a few months ago, people were complaining about the cost of the apartments at Bloomsburg university. Given their quality -- including central air -- they were a steal by any measure ($140 a night for a four-bedroom apartment with two bathrooms, four sinks, a full kitchen and a living room, not to mention excellent Wi-Fi). As someone who reserved an apartment at the first opportunity, they turned out to be a great relief from the heat (especially for sleeping). Thanks also to the organizers for laying on the shuttle bus too. All this to say, people had an opportunity months ago to avoid the situation some are now complaining about, but turned it down because it would have meant $35/night per person. Seems like false economy to me. Each to his own, I guess.
    Mark
    2006 R1200RT

  4. #19
    High & Dry statdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In the Endless Mountains
    Posts
    2,730
    Well folks its cooler in Bloomsburg and we had about 5 inches of rain since you left. I am sure glad it didn't rain for ya.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

  5. #20
    Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    3,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    Well folks its cooler in Bloomsburg and we had about 5 inches of rain since you left. I am sure glad it didn't rain for ya.
    What about that picture Voni posted of the tents in the swamp?
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

    -Tom (KA1TOX)

  6. #21
    angysdad
    Guest
    I've worked as a weather forecaster for Environment Canada for almost 30yrs. You can blame me. You will not be the first!

  7. #22
    High & Dry statdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In the Endless Mountains
    Posts
    2,730
    Quote Originally Posted by angysdad View Post
    I've worked as a weather forecaster for Environment Canada for almost 30yrs. You can blame me. You will not be the first!
    That explains it, we didn't get that cold Canadian high because of you. So when is it coming ? January !

    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

  8. #23
    sMiling Voni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    53 sMiles south of Alpine, TX USA
    Posts
    4,649
    That was Tuesday before the rally officially started.

    Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

  9. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by angysdad View Post
    I've worked as a weather forecaster for Environment Canada for almost 30yrs. You can blame me. You will not be the first!
    That's a good option. We've been blaming Mother Nature and her bad case of PMS.
    Dave
    '92 K75S, '08 F800ST
    Cedar Falls, IA

  10. #25
    Motorradfahrer
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    490
    I blame Al Gore.

  11. #26
    115189
    Guest

    Unhappy Too HOT

    My wife and I have attended a number of the BMWMOA Rallies, but this years event really got a lot of people thinking that the MOA really should consider alternate dates for the event. Our membership at the Rally is comprised of primarily older riders who frankly are not able to cope with weather extremes - especially the heat that we all went through last weekend. In our group of around 60 club members (Mac-Pac) we had two of our members picked up by the Medics on Thursday, one of which had to be admitted to the hospital. While I think everyone accepts that the heat was not planned or expected, there could have been some measures taken to provide additional relief - such as keeping open the General Store Building (which had AC) for those campers who were having problems from the heat.

    In the case of myself and my wife, we ended up packing up our tent and leaving Friday evening and heading home. I also felt sorry for the venders as it was frankly too hot to spend much time visiting the stands.

    The location could have worked our well and I'm sure the sponsors put a lot of time into the planning, but its time for the MOA to consider that July weather can become very hot and that a May/June or August/September date might be a better choice.

    Just my thoughts on the issue. I looked forward to the event since last year, but I like many others did not last the entire event - a loss for myself and also for the event.

  12. #27
    On the road again! R80RTJohnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    861
    Quote Originally Posted by 115189 View Post
    My wife and I have attended a number of the BMWMOA Rallies, but this years event really got a lot of people thinking that the MOA really should consider alternate dates for the event. Our membership at the Rally is comprised of primarily older riders who frankly are not able to cope with weather extremes - especially the heat that we all went through last weekend. In our group of around 60 club members (Mac-Pac) we had two of our members picked up by the Medics on Thursday, one of which had to be admitted to the hospital. While I think everyone accepts that the heat was not planned or expected, there could have been some measures taken to provide additional relief - such as keeping open the General Store Building (which had AC) for those campers who were having problems from the heat.

    In the case of myself and my wife, we ended up packing up our tent and leaving Friday evening and heading home. I also felt sorry for the venders as it was frankly too hot to spend much time visiting the stands.

    The location could have worked our well and I'm sure the sponsors put a lot of time into the planning, but its time for the MOA to consider that July weather can become very hot and that a May/June or August/September date might be a better choice.

    Just my thoughts on the issue. I looked forward to the event since last year, but I like many others did not last the entire event - a loss for myself and also for the event.

    Very well said. I hope that your fellow club members will have a speedy recovery.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

    Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

  13. #28
    Motorad motorad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    10
    The heat sucked, The Rally was good. I met a ton of new people. The misting tent was a great idea. It was a great effort by the crew to keep the water coolers full.
    Thanks for a good rally. It would be nice if I won a prize though. preferably and air conditioned bike and riding suit.

    James

  14. #29
    Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    739

    Thank You, 115189!

    Quote Originally Posted by 115189 View Post
    My wife and I have attended a number of the BMWMOA Rallies, but this years event really got a lot of people thinking that the MOA really should consider alternate dates for the event. Our membership at the Rally is comprised of primarily older riders who frankly are not able to cope with weather extremes - especially the heat that we all went through last weekend. In our group of around 60 club members (Mac-Pac) we had two of our members picked up by the Medics on Thursday, one of which had to be admitted to the hospital. While I think everyone accepts that the heat was not planned or expected, there could have been some measures taken to provide additional relief - such as keeping open the General Store Building (which had AC) for those campers who were having problems from the heat.

    In the case of myself and my wife, we ended up packing up our tent and leaving Friday evening and heading home. I also felt sorry for the venders as it was frankly too hot to spend much time visiting the stands.

    The location could have worked our well and I'm sure the sponsors put a lot of time into the planning, but its time for the MOA to consider that July weather can become very hot and that a May/June or August/September date might be a better choice.

    Just my thoughts on the issue. I looked forward to the event since last year, but I like many others did not last the entire event - a loss for myself and also for the event.
    Extremely well spoken, Sir! An outstanding post from a first time poster! You have summed up so perfectly what a number of we long time MOA members are thinking.

    "The location could have worked our well and I'm sure the sponsors put a lot of time into the planning, but its time for the MOA to consider that July weather can become very hot and that a May/June or August/September date might be a better choice."

    It's time this gets put to a vote by the General Membership, put a mail in postcard into the next issue of Owners News and let we the Members vote this in or out immediately!
    Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

  15. #30
    Registered User chasman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    1,115

    The membership has voted...

    During the Membership survey which was conducted in early 2009 and concluded with a random focus group being surveyed at the 2009 Johnson City rally, the VAST majority of responders voted to keep the rally in July.
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '13 R12GSA (the Outlaw), Black '02 K12RS (157K)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •