Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: The worst part of the rally.....

Quote Originally Posted by kemosabe View Post
    My two cents worth:

Pros: No one could have predicted the weather, so I made the best of it with friends I like to be around.

CONS: BMW MOA NATIONAL RALLY HAS NO BUSINESS offering the gay, lesbian, transexual, bisexual community a platform of performance at the national rally. (LGTB or was it LGBT?) printed in our rally handbook for a forum in in the arena. That was what it was, wasn't it? That was what everyone around our camp space said the LGBT was, and there were many who were peeved that MOA would sponsor this.

Boos at the closing ceremonies bothered as being 'low-class'.
    That's what it was. I couldn't agree more!
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    2013 GL1800 Goldwing
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Don't even bother wasting your time. I've been trying to get the religious nuts banned for over two decades but they still keep letting them in, even giving them space to practice their weird rituals. Creeps me out even knowing they are around, that anyone could be one of them. But what are you going to do? I just keep an eye out for them and if I see someone that has "that look" well I just turn and go the other direction. There is just no place for that kind at our rallies.

[Note: For further reading, please see "The Art of Satire"]
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

And let's not forget those rituals called Yoga. I'm sure I heard chanting.
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT
    MOA-133005, RA32109, IBA #37923

Someone posted above regarding the rally handbook. I was thrilled when I saw what they were handing out at registration. An extremely well done professional rally handbook with a boat load of useful information.

Let's not forget that the tentative schedule was posted in the latest ON. However, the sheer comprehensiveness of the schedule made it almost difficult to find something. 4 days or so of events and seminars and meets and meetings covering 9+ pages of the magazine means that something's going to be overlooked for sure. Some color coding of event types - Technical, Travel/Tour, Administrative, Model Specific, etc etc would be a good idea. Likewise, removing the recurring administrative events and showing them once with "office hours"? It wasn't necessary to list ice sales from 8 am to 9 pm every day or the Daily raffle drawing every day, twice a day or that the beer tent was open 11 a to 12 a each day. A single block with:

• Ice Sales 8a -9p Th - Sa
    • Daily Raffle Drawings 10a, 2p Th - Sa
    • Pin and Patch Table 8a - 6p Th - Sa
    • Registration Open 8a - 8p Th - Sa
    • etc...

You get the idea. That pairs down the daily lists considerably. Then organize it by topic.

I did a search of the online July ON and couldn't find Jack Riepe's name in the schedule of events. I don't have my rally handbook handy so I don't know where it showed up there.
    My point being that finding something I DID want to go to was not as easy as it could have been given the sheer number of events available.
    Nik #140220 - '88 K75C | '96 R1100RS | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

Some color coding of event types - Technical, Travel/Tour, Administrative, Model Specific, etc etc would be a good idea.
    Great idea - would really make going through these much easier!
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Ridin' Retired Ranger

+1 Well said

Quote Originally Posted by mumster View Post
    i thought about complaining how hot it is... Then i realized that: 1.) it isn't 109 degrees; 2.) i'm not 5,700 miles from home; 3.) i'm not dressed in a full bdu uniform and helmet and carrying 70+ lbs.; and 4.) there is very little chance that anyone will shoot at me or that i might drive over a bomb in the road today! Thank you to all who serve.
    +100

RkyMtnMan
    Don't even bother wasting your time. I've been trying to get the religious nuts banned for over two decades but they still keep letting them in, even giving them space to practice their weird rituals. Creeps me out even knowing they are around, that anyone could be one of them. But what are you going to do? I just keep an eye out for them and if I see someone that has "that look" well I just turn and go the other direction. There is just no place for that kind at our rallies.

[Note: For further reading, please see "The Art of Satire"]
    :

Ridin' Retired Ranger

Overall - outstanding but...

I've read the whole list of comments - I'm a noob, first rally and here's my 2c.
    - The venue I thought was perfect - lots of space in an adorable town with great motorcycle routes around. Normally PA is very comfortable this time of year. You could have taken a ride into the hills north to cool off. Fairgrounds are always stuffy and hot.
    - The book is great, but needs some refinement. I like the comment about vendors mapping page - list and where they are on the map. We use that in the boat shows - works great so you don't have to wander looking around.

I missed a training event that was poorly coordinated in the book. I signed up months ago for the Rawhyde training on Saturday - I'm a new GSA rider. I came to the rally for that and to buy a new seat (I got the seat). The coordinating directions said "Rawhyde training event will start at 8 a.m. at the designated area".....no designated area is printed anywhere in the book or the confirmation email.... I missed the training. Pretty p'd off over it having got up early and prepped my bike. Sat morning, I came 45 min early to look for "the designated area" - I asked around and some officials, ie with radios and special tags, didn't even know what the event was, much less where it was. I do want to thank the 2 "Go-fers" who helped me get in touch with Roc. They were the nicest folks! Thank you. I felt bad for Roc, no one was answering their radios, so it's not his fault.
    As a retired military guy, we're used to coordinating rather large events with lots of moving parts. There's always chaos. If training/events are taking place - we have a small staff at "stand-to" to make sure everything's covered. That was lacking.

In the end, after saying screw it and going for a lovely long ride north of Bloomsburg on great back dirt roads, I came back to the grounds to find them training in the field way over by the swim spot. I watched and then went and played in the GS pit inner field and had a grand time. Yes, I went dirt biking at 130pm, the hottest part of the day and had a blast! So no foul in the end.

- would suggest putting some big fans in the food tents to circulate/blow out the tent air. Outstanding job with the misting tents and over the pedestrian areas! You guys really did try hard and it was noted by all with whom I chatted throughout the weekend.

- last parting shot, as I'm up to $1.50 of my 2c - the flame cars were absolutely stupid and not in the character of our organization. Leadership should have just shut that down. It was already 95+degs and you guys turned on the flame throwers with the wind pushing the heat into the bleachers. That was really stupid and actually dangerous. Josh who won the GS Giant bike was more entertaining! It's a motorcycle enthusiast event - not a car show. A guy doing trix would have been more entertaining.

All in all - yes - outstanding - heat and all!

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ted View Post
    don't even bother wasting your time. I've been trying to get the religious nuts banned for over two decades but they still keep letting them in, even giving them space to practice their weird rituals. Creeps me out even knowing they are around, that anyone could be one of them. But what are you going to do? I just keep an eye out for them and if i see someone that has "that look" well i just turn and go the other direction. There is just no place for that kind at our rallies.

[note: For further reading, please see "the art of satire"]
    aaaahahahaaha!!!
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    For me, the most distressing part of the rally was to hear so many people in the crowd booing Vance, during the closing ceremony.

What a great way to discourage a phenomenal volunteer.
    That was pretty unfortunate. I know that a lot of folks put in a lot of time and effort to make something like this happen. I volunteer and help out, but that's a drop in the bucket compared to what the real movers and shakers do. And I appreciate their efforts.

OTOH, the audience - myself included - was sitting in the hot sun while the ceremonies were going on. I did appreciate the opportunity to thank the volunteers (and even the paid staff) for their efforts. However, some of the awards were unrelated to the rally. I felt a little like we were being taken advantage by an MOA who wanted to recognize folks for contributions unrelated to the rally. That seems like a good idea because there is no other congregation of a like number of MOA members, but while sitting there in the hot sun, it seemed a little less like a good idea. I suggest that the rally closing ceremony stick to the subject of the rally.

Beyond that, anything that can be done to keep the ceremonies a little snappier would be appreciated. There were numerous times when the MC called someone to the stage and we sat there in silence while they stood up and walked across to the microphone. That pattern repeated several times. It's only a few seconds, but a few seconds sitting in the hot sun can get long.

I appreciate that vendors expect the podium when donating substantial prizes. I also appreciate the vendors who probably had long speeches prepared and decided to cut them short.

It seems like there were a lot more club and individual awards at previous rallies. I hope these can be posted to the web site since they did not get covered during the abbreviated closing ceremony.

best,
    hank
    Hank Barta
    K1200RS, R100R/Velorex 700
    Beautiful Sunny Winfield, IL

Quote Originally Posted by sati8d View Post
    I missed a training event that was poorly coordinated in the book. I signed up months ago for the Rawhyde training on Saturday - I'm a new GSA rider. I came to the rally for that and to buy a new seat (I got the seat). The coordinating directions said "Rawhyde training event will start at 8 a.m. at the designated area".....no designated area is printed anywhere in the book or the confirmation email.... I missed the training. Pretty p'd off over it having got up early and prepped my bike. Sat morning, I came 45 min early to look for "the designated area" - I asked around and some officials, ie with radios and special tags, didn't even know what the event was, much less where it was. I do want to thank the 2 "Go-fers" who helped me get in touch with Roc. They were the nicest folks! Thank you. I felt bad for Roc, no one was answering their radios, so it's not his fault.
    As a retired military guy, we're used to coordinating rather large events with lots of moving parts. There's always chaos. If training/events are taking place - we have a small staff at "stand-to" to make sure everything's covered. That was lacking.
    Not really, the only Rawhyde Training on Saturday was their dealer clinic with Hermys BMW GSer's ( not mentioned in the program because it was not an MOA event, and this is the event you saw ). Rawhyde also had a "two day" adventure course offering on Friday and Saturday but that was solely run by them and they sent emails to those involved. The GS Giant Chair's gave them a meeting point and they were to inform their customers. Being a Chair, I even stopped by on Friday to see if everything was OK for them. You had to be there Friday, Saturday was day two. ........ again the GS Event folks gave them a place and it was their program. How stand on is that ?

The book was poorly coordinated because it went to the printer in May, a time we were still waiting GS event funding let alone trying to get people committed. I would like to see an app since we are dealing with the last minute generation now. Sadly I wanted everything done waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy back during the winter but moto folks can't see past the next weekend let alone the next event...........I have tons of emails I can't share to reflect this and a location change had to happen because of funding foot dragging. Hey but everything turned out well.

Come join the virtual GS Community in the clubhouse because traing will once again be offered.

As far as logistics ? Been there done that starting in the days of slide rules and black & white photos. My assessed community needs were met.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    I would like to see an app since we are dealing with the last minute generation now.

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    If only we had an expert in new media, experienced in ap design and layout, truly a genius at gathering and organizing information, and an experienced volunteer whose dedication to the organization and its members was simply unmatched .......

(why do I have a feeling there is now a price on my head )
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

(why do I have a feeling there is now a price on my head )

price? i volunteered to do an app like this for FREE earlier this year.

Heat is beyond the control of any mortal, the complaint really is how the adversity was met (or not met). Bottled water was good, misters were good, I saw a lot of paper fans going around (not sure where they came from, but if someone thought to have them made up and distributed around the grounds - bravo) but the buildings were equipped with AC that a) did not work and/or b) failed (one building never worked, the other two did and one failed, the third could not keep up but did provide a little cooling). All of the buildings were cooler than outside and offered some modicum of "relief". The facility manager should have had a crew in there and had it fixed same-day. This should be a contractual obligation. Either someone did not put enough pressure on them (specifically Paul Reichart, president) to do so, or some greater problem arose. Power was out in a portion of the third (arts and crafts) building that never had AC, I suspect the two are related. I saw no one working on the AC systems at any time. A member in another thread showed a portable AC generator truck, once the excessive heat was predicted, someone should have investigated one of those. No, I don't know what they cost... I said investigated. Maybe something like that needs to be budgeted in for future events as part of a back-up plan.

For years voices have raised the objection: CLOSING CEREMONIES NEED TO BE KEPT BRIEF. 2 hours in good weather is excessively long. 2 hours in blistering heat, with more than half the crowd sitting in the sun is begging for trouble. Studies show the average attention span is 40 minutes for a presentation. I do not mean recognition of achievements by people like Paul, Don, Ian, et al are not worthy of some time but there are mentions and items that can be posted in the magazine and not used to take up time at the ceremonies. Given the extreme situation, the ceremony should have been kept very brief and jumped right to the prizes and their sponsors - that's what the crowd showed up for. What happened to the old format where an award was given, then a prize, an award, a special recognition, prize... etc. keeps things interesting that way. Mix it up! (tm)

Like any good ol' family reunion though, fights break out, tempers are tested and someone ends up sleeping with the dog.
    John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)