Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The worst part of the rally.....

Hybrid View

The worst part of the rally.....

Please post what you would change about the rally, if you could. Constructive criticism can be used to continue improving the National Rally for it's members.
    Having better weather is a given!

I would like to see a used parts area again..Also more than just one BMW dealer allowed to set up and sell new stuff...Where was MaxBMW? I remember when there was three or more dealers at these rallys...

Quote Originally Posted by khill View Post
    I would like to see a used parts area again..Also more than just one BMW dealer allowed to set up and sell new stuff...Where was MaxBMW? I remember when there was three or more dealers at these rallys...
    I heard there is an issue with PA in that a business license is required, and although not impossible to get, not worth the effort for small used parts vendors.
    09 R 1200 GS

Clay
    Quote Originally Posted by khill View Post
    ..Also more than just one BMW dealer allowed to set up and sell new stuff...Where was MaxBMW? I remember when there was three or more dealers at these rallys...
    Actually there where (3) BMW dealers on site that I observed...Bob's as usual, Montgomeryville and 2Jacks

My only negatives are directed more at BMW Corporate than the MOA whom I thought did a great job at this rally.

1. Why only bring the new GT and GTL's for demo's? Yes they are new game changing models, but not everyone is interested in one. I asked a BMW employee about this and was told that they wanted to make a big splash with the new model and they had a strong demo program at the local dealers for the other models. That is all well and good, but what about those folks who live 100+ miles from a dealer or don't have a dealer in their state? Do you really expect them to drive hours for a demo and then have the dealer ask, "What can I do to put you on this bike today?" The rally is a perfect way to demo without pressure especially if you are not quite ready for a new bike, but just thinking about it. I think Paul Thorn summed it up nicely by saying, "I think BMW is stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime." Which brings me to.....

2. Why did BMW schedule thier event opposite one of the main music events, Paul Thorn? He is a crittically acclaimed national touring act and deserved better. There were several local "cover" bands that could have been scheduled opposite and no one would have cared. But Paul is a top draw, which is why he has been asked to perform for us 3 years in a row now. I did hear that German party band early on as I was camped on the other side of the fence and they sure sounded like fun, but they are a party band for folks to party to. OTOH, Paul is a serious artist with a top notch band and deserved to have his portion of the entertainment schedule to himself. Everyone seemed to agree with Paul when he made that above statement!

Otherwise a GREAT rally!

Rick G
    2004 BMW R 1150 GS - My Big Black Pig!
    2009 Triumph T100 - Neo Classic Retro Tourer.
    2009 Vespa GTS 250 Super - Just for Kicks and Giggles
    2009 Sym Fiddle II - For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by RickG View Post
    My only negatives are directed more at BMW Corporate than the MOA whom I thought did a great job at this rally.

1. Why only bring the new GT and GTL's for demo's? Yes they are new game changing models, but not everyone is interested in one. I asked a BMW employee about this and was told that they wanted to make a big splash with the new model and they had a strong demo program at the local dealers for the other models. That is all well and good, but what about those folks who live 100+ miles from a dealer or don't have a dealer in their state? Do you really expect them to drive hours for a demo and then have the dealer ask, "What can I do to put you on this bike today?" The rally is a perfect way to demo without pressure especially if you are not quite ready for a new bike, but just thinking about it. I think Paul Thorn summed it up nicely by saying, "I think BMW is stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime." Which brings me to.....

2. Why did BMW schedule thier event opposite one of the main music events, Paul Thorn? He is a crittically acclaimed national touring act and deserved better. There were several local "cover" bands that could have been scheduled opposite and no one would have cared. But Paul is a top draw, which is why he has been asked to perform for us 3 years in a row now. I did hear that German party band early on as I was camped on the other side of the fence and they sure sounded like fun, but they are a party band for folks to party to. OTOH, Paul is a serious artist with a top notch band and deserved to have his portion of the entertainment schedule to himself. Everyone seemed to agree with Paul when he made that above statement!

Otherwise a GREAT rally!

Rick G
    I totally agree with what Paul said. Sadly,( for obvious reasons ) it'll probably be the last time he performs at a MOA rally!
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    '04 R1150RT
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

Felt Like BMWNA "highjacked" the Rally

Quote Originally Posted by 2BikeMike View Post
    I totally agree with what Paul said. Sadly,( for obvious reasons ) it'll probably be the last time he performs at a MOA rally!
    It felt Like BMWNA "highjacked" the Rally by holding an exclusive "party" just outside the MOA Rally gate; in poor taste at best and abusive at worst. Whoever signed off on that concept from MOA should reconsider trying it again in future years. An apology to Paul Thorn is only a small part of this needless intrusion. I hope that that deal was not the result of heavy-handedness by BMWNA, but just a poor decision by both parties.
    2002 R1150R Atlanta Blue
    2004 R1150RT Platinum
    2005 K1200LT Graphite
    www.linkedin.com/in/markmacrae

Unhappy

The worst part of the rally is that IT'S OVER and we won't see that group of friends again for so long. It was so close to home for us this year that it felt like it was done almost before it started...sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by clowry View Post
    the worst part of the rally is that it's over and we won't see that group of friends again for so long. It was so close to home for us this year that it felt like it was done almost before it started...sigh.
    +1

used bike area

1) In addition to a flea market mentioned above I would like to see a central area where people could park their bikes for sale. I enjoyed looking and dreaming about the used bikes scattered around the area, but a central location would be much more convenient and would likely mean I wouldn't miss some neat bikes!

2) It seemed like almost all the seminars on riding places were done by commercial groups. I have nothing against that, but it would be nice to hear ride-stories from members who can tell it like it is (embarrassing moments and all!). Perhaps to give them an incentive to spend the time preparing a good presentation, offer a free admission if they give a seminar?

Forgive me if things I mentioned were already previously mentioned as I didn't fully read everyone's comments.

First of all, why not move the rally to a different part of the season to where the weather is more enjoyable or to locations where the weather is nicer? Of course, don't want rally at the same locations all the time as its nice to be able to see diff parts of the U. S. This thread was started about this which I have not had a chance to read: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54631 I am being told by a rally chair that it will always be held at the same time and it will never change. I understand that many years over the past it has always been held the same dates. I don't know if people don't want to change the dates as they don't want change but perhaps changing the dates will do good? The reason the dates will not be changed because of the "excuse" that teachers and professors are out of school as well as kids are out of school. Also, I was told that HEAT can be controlled easier on a person than cold. How can heat exhaustion and dehydration be controlled much easier??????? I still won't understand this comment coming from person I spoke too and never will. I think that is incorrect. There were a lot of people going to first aid and having an ambulance trip to the hospital. Moving the time to where the weather is more favorable perhaps this won't be happening. Another situation of moving the time is having snow on a route traveling to a place is another reason why the dates won't be moved... well, can a person travel where they won't be hitting snow on their route? This is something else I will not understand as I am sure if you get the right dates for the season and area there can be a little better compromise. It is always talk about school teachers, professors, and kids being out of school is the "main reason" for the dates of the rally. How about everyone else that needs to take off work? Is that not something that is important that is looked upon? I know Camp Gears is a big event and I have no problem with Camp Gears but couldn't the rally dates be held during Spring Break where the weather is more favorable? Both kids, teachers, and professors will be out of school? All of us have to take off of work, why can't teachers, kids, and professors take off just like the rest of us? I think moving the dates to early spring or fall to have nicer weather would make the rally more enjoyable. Due to the weather this year, this was my worst rally I attended. I was sick and because of that I was not able to do any rides to explore the area as I normally do.

There were two good bands... Paul Thorn and the German band. The times were overlapping. A person couldn't enjoy both good bands at the same time. This sucked! The German band was extremely good who started performing before Paul Thorne was suppose to perform. This was the very first time the German band performed in the U. S. and the very first performance. It was a shame to have two bands performing together. I hope in the future rallies this will not happen again.

I was really looking forward to the BMW Demo Fleet Truck this year... and to only see 1600 GT's and GTL's was a "big" let down. I was totally in shock when I watched them roll out these bikes only. I was looking forward to seeing the other models. Of course these are new bikes and trying to be pushed, but this is a big BMW event... why were the other models forgotten about? I hear these were the only demos that dealers had to give for the Demo truck as they get the bikes from different dealers? Is that so? This is the first year where anything like this has happened... I hope this will never happen again in the future.

The attendance was low this year.... a lot of people didn't come due to the weather or they probably turned around and went home. This should have been spoken for at the awards ceremony when the door prizes were being called and no one was claiming their prizes they won because they had already left or left early due to the weather? Because of this, you could tell that the folks trying to call out the awards were getting upset and a few times the attitudes of giving out the awards... the person calling out the awards started to get a bad attitude. The way the awards were set up and how far one had to walk in order to get out and across the dirt track to the stage I am sure wasn't an added factor to how ones demeanor was getting. The fire flaming cars were not fun due to the heat.... the awards ceremony/closing ceremony.. part of it was nice and part of it wasn't nice. Some parts were long and drugged out and other parts were rushed through because of other parts being long and drugged out.... the parts that were rushed through should have not been rushed through as they should have had more recognition. I thought the awards ceremony was that you did not have to be present to win.... that is what I was told as well as some volunteers who worked the registration booth was even told that and come to find out a person had to be present to win. That was a little misleading.

I was hot and not feeling good from the weather and went into one of the vendor buildings for a second to see if they were open to try to get out of the heat and I got thrown out of the building which I feel was a little bit uncalled for. I understand a lot of people were stressed trying to get things set up and making sure things are going as planned but how I was treated that day I think should not have happened.

I think if it wasn't so hot and humid things would have been a little better and more enjoyable. I think there were some vendors that are normally at the rally were not there and not sure if that had anything to do with the weather or if it was another reason.

I hear over the years theft has been bad and each year it is getting worse... why can't we trust fellow BMW riders and not have theft happening during the rally? This is a shame to hear... something for those out there to think about and hope you are not the one reading this that may have taken something that perhaps wasn't yours.

Thanks to those who worked hard putting the rally together.
    Bye bye 2006 F650 GS for a 2011 F650 GS.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Actually there where (3) BMW dealers on site that I observed...Bob's as usual, Montgomeryville and 2Jacks
    plus Pandora European Motorsports (Chattanooga, TN) was set up outside. Had boots, helmets, a couple of motorcycles set up, great conversation, etc.

Registered User mariettaman29661's Avatar
    My two cents worth:

Pros: No one could have predicted the weather, so I made the best of it with friends I like to be around.

CONS: BMW MOA NATIONAL RALLY HAS NO BUSINESS offering the gay, lesbian, transexual, bisexual community a platform of performance at the national rally. (LGTB or was it LGBT?) printed in our rally handbook for a forum in in the arena. That was what it was, wasn't it? That was what everyone around our camp space said the LGBT was, and there were many who were peeved that MOA would sponsor this.

Boos at the closing ceremonies bothered as being 'low-class'.

Scheduling the Rally to conflict w/ Vintage Motorcycle Days in Mid Ohio

Having these two major motorcycling events scheduled for the same week/weekend was the worst thing about the rally.

Quote Originally Posted by kemosabe View Post
    CONS: BMW MOA NATIONAL RALLY HAS NO BUSINESS offering the gay, lesbian, transexual, bisexual community a platform of performance at the national rally. (LGTB or was it LGBT?) printed in our rally handbook for a forum in in the arena. That was what it was, wasn't it? That was what everyone around our camp space said the LGBT was, and there were many who were peeved that MOA would sponsor this.
    Perhaps they should have scheduled a bigots' meeting at the same time.