Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rally was great!

Quote Originally Posted by Catman View Post
    I would like to personally thank the deer populations of Pennsylvania, New York, and Connecticut for maintaining such a low profile during the week of the rally. I did not see a one the whole time, and I hope that is true for others as well.

I encountered several during my regional rides but thankfully they were well behaved!!
    RadRider
    2014 S1000R,2014 R1200GS, 2013 Ural Patrol
    MOA #118928
    IBA # 46323

Clay
    Quote Originally Posted by jmirizarry View Post
    I encountered several during my regional rides but thankfully they were well behaved!!
    I did hear of one bear encounter though..someone from the MARS club want to speak up..

Best thing for me was meeting so many new people. In no particular order.......
    Thanks to Wayne and the Indy crew, for letting me hang out when I was 'all alone" in club camping.
    Thanks to Tricia for driving me around in that golf cart. Seat belts not required!!
    So cool to meet Kevin and his encyclopedic knowledge of R27's. Yes, they really are Airheads!!
    A few minutes with Tom, who took this rally rookie's opinion seriously, and shared his own thoughts candidly. This is a group I want to get more involved with.

To everyone who helped make it happen - Committee Chairs, members, and volunteers - thanks for making this movable city possible.
    And to Mark, Denise, and 'Roc', who maintained the illusion of everything running smooth as silk - THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
    Chaz
    The skill of effective coaching lies in asking the right questions.
    2002 K1200RS "Sonic" 1979 R65 "Hans"

It didn't go off without a hitch but...

Any and all adversity was handled promptly and efficiently by MOA staff, chair people or the ever important and always present volunteer's. Anytime I needed help or assistance I only had to turn my head in either direction and ask. I can even say that I felt somewhat cooler and almost chilly right after feeling the heat brought by the flame cars.

Ridin' Retired Ranger

Outstanding Rally - thank you all who made it possible!

Wow what every body else said!

This was my first rally. I bought my first Beemer in late March this year after a too long hiatus from riding. I'm 9000 miles into 3 mos of ownership already - I love it. Not only am I impressed with my R1200 GSA, when I got to meet the family that goes with it - now I'm REALLY impressed! I'm humbled and honored to be a new member of such an incredible crowd of folks. I've always felt the way you guys are -now I'm with like-minded folks.

There was heat and more humid heat, then there was spray tents, free water and what impressed me most - no one got ornery over it - no fights, no drunken testosterone tattooed chest thumping. Everybody was so friendly.

On Saturday, I found 45 miles of unpaved road off the 42N route - PA is so beautiful in the back valleys. On return to the fairgrounds, I had so much fun taking my GSA on the inner field and messing about with our pig bikes! I used to Enduro and Trials way back, it was like riding a bicycle, but 560lbs of it!! The bike is so much fun - no wonder so many people buy them!

I didn't get a chance to do very much in 2 days of attendance - but the vendors were all really nice and not in your face selling you their stuff. Several told me this is their favorite Rally to attend because of the caliber of people - I couldn't agree more.

So - thank you for welcoming me to your family - I feel privileged to be with such a fantastic group of people. You guys are like my sailing cruising buddies -where I've been the past years. Now I got 2 families!

Smooth throttles and spirited twisties!
    Tony

Stronger, Faster, Tougher iRene's Avatar
    I really enjoyed volunteering at the Country Store.

I had not done a stint at the Country Store before, as I'm frankly nervous about money handling.
    But WOW! The merchandise was all organized and clearly labelled, the prices were posted so we
    and the potential buyers could clearly see, and there were lots of calculators available.
    There were very competent point people handling the actual cashiering and card transactions.
    I guess they've done this a few times before...

Entirely stupidproof!! Even I could do it, and I had a wikkid pissah good time to boot.
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Sled Dog Touring Team | RSMaine | MOVermont
    '08 R1200GS | '60 R60

Only my 4th rally, and the facilities were first rate.

I liked the grid layout of the campsites. For the first time for me, we didn't have to ride our bikes through makeshift trails through tents and bikes.

(Anyone remember scaling the "hill of wet hay" to get to your campsite after it rained in Johnson City? hoofa!)

Everyone literally had an "address", and parked their bikes right on their "street".
    It was a fantabulous setup.

That, and the potable water located a few feet from every campsite. I don't remember that in camping areas before. It eventually became a life saver.

Well done rally. really well done.
    Sig? What's a Sig?

what I LIKED!

*nice compact fairgrounds, easy to cover all areas of interest
    *lots of pavement from the road into the fairgrounds (not a dirt/dust guy)
    *adequate shade in the form of tents/indoor vendor areas
    *plenty of water hose stations/thougtful spray spots
    *INCREDIBLE VOLUNTEERS EVERYWHERE!
    *every MOA Rally is like drinking from a firehose, so much to do!
    *best food vendors/variety in my 5 MOA Rallies
    *great music INSIDE the fence (no comment outside the fence)
    *met lots of nice people, especially all with the #1 buttons
    *I was preregistered, and went right to the front on Thurs. AM, amazing!
    *proximity to town was great
    *did not hear ONE complaint from anyone about anything, even the heat, really!
    *did not hear of even one tipover or accident or crash of any kind
    *the big screens at the CC were great
    *location East of the Mississippi
    *did I mention the VOLUNTEERS?
    2002 R1150R Atlanta Blue
    2004 R1150RT Platinum
    2005 K1200LT Graphite
    www.linkedin.com/in/markmacrae

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by markmacrae View Post
    *nice compact fairgrounds, easy to cover all areas of interest
    *lots of pavement from the road into the fairgrounds (not a dirt/dust guy)
    *adequate shade in the form of tents/indoor vendor areas
    *plenty of water hose stations/thougtful spray spots
    *incredible volunteers everywhere!
    *every moa rally is like drinking from a firehose, so much to do!
    *best food vendors/variety in my 5 moa rallies
    *great music inside the fence (no comment outside the fence)
    *met lots of nice people, especially all with the #1 buttons
    *i was preregistered, and went right to the front on thurs. Am, amazing!
    *proximity to town was great
    *did not hear one complaint from anyone about anything, even the heat, really!
    *did not hear of even one tipover or accident or crash of any kind
    *the big screens at the cc were great
    *location east of the mississippi
    *did i mention the volunteers?
    +1
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Suzuki Rally

Wow this reminded me so much like the Suzuki and Yamaha Rally..

When I think about it, I will always have to have a BMW just to play at real rally's. In Florida we have bike week in Daytona, but it is nothing like a BMW Rally. I had a great time as usual. However, this time I got my wife to go too on her bike. This was her first rally and now she is planning with me for next year. Yes we did camp in the heat. So I am here to tell all you volunteers that all the work and what you did was a huge success.

Great Job!

Cheers from Florida

This was my first Rally...and it far exceeded my expectations...GREAT!!!
    I enjoyed getting to see and get my hands on products in the vendors area that I had been looking at on-line for some time now...though I purchased more than I probably should have...and having the UPS store to ship home....
    Everyone was friendly and made you feel welcome...
    Food Vendors had great food and reasonable prices....
    Great Entertainment...!!! especially David Jacobs-Strain and Paul Thorn.....loved it!!!!
    I enjoyed the living history...myself being a WW2 buff...
    Getting to see all the beautiful BMW motorcycles....
    Special thanks to all the commitee chairs, and volunteers...Job Well Done!!!!!!!!
    Meeting New Friends!!
    I'll be back...............!
    when in doubt.........gas it....
    CWR

Things I liked:

• The Fairgrounds. Flat, water and electricity just about everywhere, and plenty of camping space.
    • Demo rides. I would have preferred to ride something other than the K1600 GT but I got to flog a nice ride for 45 minutes without getting badgered to buy it.
    • Beer choices. Something for everyone.
    • Musical entertainment. Sister Sparrow and the Dirty Birds was one helluva last-minute replacement band. And Paul Thorn lived up to my expectations.
    • Volunteers. From the Registration tent to the pairs working the gate behind the horse barns (and everyone in between), all of them did a tremendous job.
    • MOA Members. I got the chance to have extended conversations with a bunch of folks that I had never met. What a great bunch of people!
    • Commercial Vendors. I came. I saw. I bought. I'll pay next month.
    • Volunteers. Did I mention them already?

There were a few of the food vendors that were leery about joining us at this rally - they just didn't know what to expect. By Saturday, they were asking if it would be possible to work next year at the Sedalia Rally. EVERY vendor was complimentary on how friendly and polite MOA members were to them. Heck... they didn't even lock up their supplies at night because they trusted us. That is a tribute to the kind of people in the MOA.
    I like bananas 'cause they ain't got bones!

Fauster, great job on food wrangling! There were plenty of choices and I was happy to see they were all reasonably priced. In fact, I saw no reason to venture outside the rally grounds to eat. I'm sorry i never got to try the chicken and waffles - it sounded good but just too heavy a meal in the heat.

I'm glad it was such a positive experience for the vendors as well as their patrons.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    In fact, I saw no reason to venture outside the rally grounds to eat.
    Air conditioning! Most of the air conditioned eating establishments downtown had very reasonably priced food that was good. I ate two good meals at the rally but the shuttle bus made downtown restaurants very convenient.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Talking

Fauster.......Great Job!!!!!!!
    when in doubt.........gas it....
    CWR