Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Most interesting moment or event of the rally?

Had I not seen Paul Thorn a couple weeks earlier, his band's set would have certainly been the highlight of the rally. As it was, his time on stage seem a little compressed and his stories between songs were shortened a bit to make up the time. Go see him again if you can - you will not regret it.

So, since I was already a huge Paul Thorn fan, the real surprise was Sister Sparrow and the Dirty Birds (friday night). This 9 piece band is a stand-out - amazing sound and a sexy singer with fantastic dynamic range. Go see them before they become huge.

Shooter Jennings was not in the same league with either of the two above bands. I laft after the first couple songs...

Quote Originally Posted by 2BikeMike View Post
    Because it's NOT the natural state of order.
    I feel a gravitational pull towards the dog house....

Quote Originally Posted by sati8d View Post
    My favorite moment was taking my new-to-me 09 GSA out on the track and playing in the dirt. Brought me back to my teens when I did enduro and trials. The only diff is I'm a wee bit older and could only last 4 times around. Also taking my first spill in the sand pit was actually quite fun - nice and sweaty and then being a sand-doughnut -lovely!
    If the Friends of Bill's can meet, then so can LGBTs, and everybody else - it's only for those like-minded people - nobody said you had to attend that hour. The point is taken though and these venues should be encouraged to meet, but not "sanctioned" by MOA.
    When you go on cruises and such, they offer available space on the side if you choose to, but it's not written into the sched. It's personal, so therefore do it for yourself.

Great job - family. Great job. I look forward to many more! I'm drinking the Koolaid.

I saw an awful lot of clean GS's on site. Good on ya for getting the beast dirty!

Can someone please explain to me what or who Friends of Bill are?

RkyMtnMan
    Perhaps not the MOST interesting, but certainly right up there, was discovering "hickory syrup" at the farmer's market.

Yummy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    .........please explain to me what or who Friends of Bill are?
    The Friends of Bill W is another name for Alcoholics Anonymous. It is their lesser-known name, usually used at times when discretion is required.
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenike View Post
    Kemosabe, LGBT stands for "lesbian, gay, bisexual and transexual" It was one of many firsts for the rally. Trying to be all inclusive ....
    I think it a good idea. They are a small minority in a minority of the population (motorcycle riders). I would think meeting similar people with an interest in motorcycles would be difficult in most places.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

This is now getting way off topic, but I would hope in this day and age, whether at a motorcycle rally, or anywhere in this fine country, that nobody would ever be excluded or frowned upon for being 'different', whether it be race, nationality, sexual preference, religion or anything for that matter. Live and let live. I'm trying to raise my 4 young kids a lot different than my parents raised me, or how they were raised. My 13 year old son had a blast at the rally and met some fine people there, with no predispositions towards anyone. I hope you'd feel the same way about him if you happened to meet him there. Bikers are a fine group of individuals in their own right, but everyone has the right to their own personal beliefs. I don't think anyone has the right to judge anyone else that way. Just chill and enjoy the diversity man. The country is a big place, and you're going to meet all kinds of everybody everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    The Friends of Bill W is another name for Alcoholics Anonymous. It is their lesser-known name, usually used at times when discretion is required.
    I thought it was a club that received speeding tickets for going over 100 miles an hour.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    I thought it was a club that received speeding tickets for going over 100 miles an hour.
    that is the Selected Friend of Wile. E. Coyote.

MOD Moment>

While most of this thread has had some great points and suggestions, a casual reminder to browse the Posting Guidelines:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/faq.php?...tingguidelines
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    in particular #3 & 4

3)Trolling and Baiting. Trolling is intentionally posting inflammatory subject matter, then arguing just for "fun." Baiting is pushing someoneÔÇÖs buttons to incite them to flame.

4)Creating a hostile environment. Our membership is a diverse community in terms of race, gender, sexual orientation and religion. Items offensive to, or that create an unfriendly environment for various people will be removed by the moderators with an explanation.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may have your opinions and views... However,they are yours and not shared by all.

Mod hat off <
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

No, it's not natural!
    Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, CPAPs and air conditioning.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

Edited. Eilenberger axiom rings true once again
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

No, it's not natural!
    Says who?

People are as diverse as the bikes we ride.

Apology

Quote Originally Posted by drubery View Post

I digress, this whole discussion is far from being about beemers! I am fairly new to MOA and cannot believe after attending this Rally (my first ) this is creating such noise, heck ya'all are louder than my stock GT pipes on the subject. Everyone I met was friendly, engaging, excited to be there and talk bikes, what a great time!
    Drubery, on behalf of many MOA members, I apologize! I've been thinking alot about this forum and the conversations that have been taking place in the past few days and I find I am somewhat embarrassed on behalf of the MOA and it's members. If I were a Noob to this group, I probably would not return. The behaviour and opinions of a few are not an indication of the group as a whole.

Friends are Family but do we really need to be so dysfunctional??? Come on, folks...we just shared a fantastic week together. Why ruin the afterglow? Thank a volunteer, remember the new friends you made, or plan to stay home next year.

From the Moderator Team
    For those of you that have been following this thread you will see that is now missing a few posts. This is in response to a disruptive post that has also been taken care of.
    An unfortunate result of this is the loss of some excellent, supportive posting that should make everyone proud to be a MOA member and epitomizes what the Club is about.
    Thank you all for your cooperation and ride safe. The Mod Team
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program