Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Green light triggers

Green light triggers

Anybody ever used one of those green light triggers? If it would really work would be money well spent.

What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar
    Results and reports both vary ...

I'm theological about it: those who swear by them are predestined to, and those who swear at them are predestined to.

Put me in the latter camp. Besides, I prefer running the light to waiting on it!
    '98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.

Got my vote

Seems to work well, although I push down on the center stand to get it closer to the ground.

I don't use 'em 'cause someone told me the magnetic field pulled the lubrication out of the clutch splines...

It's true

but only if you are using German Air in the tires.

Sounds like you do...

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    I actually tested my green light trigger on my RT. I go to work the same way almost every day. For a week I rode with the trigger and my wait time for the left turn arrow was under a minute every time. I took the same route for the next week and my wait time if I was the only one in the left turn lane (which I usually am) was two minutes plus.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

BobFV1
    Quote Originally Posted by DION1951
    Anybody ever used one of those green light triggers? If it would really work would be money well spent.
    I bought one for my R1150R and I put it on the center stand with a nylon cable tie - I thought, boy the catalytic converter gets awfuly hot and it might burn right through the nylon - well on the first ride it did - 20.00 down the tubes.

Then I bought a "Signal Sorcerer" when I got the RT. Mounted it with "permanent" industrial adhesive supplied with the unit. It stayed put for about 2000 miles, then on a 400 mile ride I started to smell something like burning vomit, and sure enough, it had come off and the permanent industrial adhesive was cooking. So I am down 40.00 and have no device on my bike. Harumph...

The Green Light trigger is no more than a ceramic magnet that you can buy for under $5.00 at any Home Depot or Lowes; and they come in packs of TWO for this price. Don't be fooled by the NEW plastic coating/cover which the Green Light guys added to cover the obvious magnet. Buy the Home Depot or Lowes stuff along with some industrial two sided tape, affix to the closest part of your motorcycle in relation to the ground and enjoy the benefits of tripping the stop lights as the cages do.
    I mounted two of these on the bottom fairing of my RT and they work flawlesly.

Quote Originally Posted by DDHR1150RT
    The Green Light trigger is no more than a ceramic magnet that you can buy for under $5.00 at any Home Depot or Lowes;
    I mounted two of these on the bottom fairing of my RT and they work flawlesly.
    Just don't run over a rich guy, or you'll ruin his Rolex.
    Paul

Smile

Thanks for all the info! So this is where all those retired comedians gather to exchange material! I think I'll be headed down to my local Home Depot for a couple of magnets.

I just make sure to stop over the sensor cut and then hold down my centrestand. Should be enough iron. And if you ride an older bike the steel wheel rims will help too, as will the bottom frame tubes.

I once lived in an apartment complex that had gates. They were activated for exiting vehicles by the same type of sensor. I had a K100 at the time, and I was amused that the K would not trip the sensors but my bicycle would! The K had almost no ferric metal within 12" of the ground. The axles, crankshaft and ring gear in the FD were by my estimation the only steel close enough to possibly be read and obviously they weren't.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

JOECUBANA

It's a dilemma

This topic is something I start to get complaints about each summer...

Along with everything else, I am also the traffic engineer for our city and take care of the signal system. Unless someone has a full dress HD with lots of chrome, most other bikes won't change the magnetic field. Unless you have someone come in a cage, you could wait forever. (I have been known to do some right turns on red then a U'ey).

People complain but there's not much we can do. Turn up the sensitivity on the detector's amplifier and cars in the adjacent lane can give a false call for a left turn. Or else cars cutting a corner tight can trip the opposing streets.

Guess we never thought of recommending these to the rest of the local bike community......

JC

srb
    mine works fine, but you have to go over the light sensors at about 10-15 mph. those sensors are what's buried in the pavement about 12 yards before the actual stop line. if i am going too slow over that area the light will not trigger. if i travel over the sensors at 10-15mph the light will trigger. it just forces you to make a more firm stop than you might have otherwise.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BobFV1
    I bought one for my R1150R and I put it on the center stand with a nylon cable tie - I thought, boy the catalytic converter gets awfuly hot and it might burn right through the nylon - well on the first ride it did - 20.00 down the tubes.

Then I bought a "Signal Sorcerer" when I got the RT. Mounted it with "permanent" industrial adhesive supplied with the unit. It stayed put for about 2000 miles, then on a 400 mile ride I started to smell something like burning vomit, and sure enough, it had come off and the permanent industrial adhesive was cooking. So I am down 40.00 and have no device on my bike. Harumph...
    Try stainless steel safety wire. You can order it from Summit Racing.com. If the caticalysmic converter (yes I called it that,,,because back when these things first came out and we found that we were trading unburned hydro-carbons for sulfuric acid....well...) melts that stuff you can probably collect the insurance on the bike.

Talking Welcome Dion;their cover is now blown

Quote Originally Posted by DION1951
    Thanks for all the info! So this is where all those retired comedians gather to exchange material! I think I'll be headed down to my local Home Depot for a couple of magnets.
    Pretty astute observation for a guy with seven posts.
    Ba da boom!!
    Sometimes,nothing is a real cool hand.