Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Tent spaces

Quote Originally Posted by jnerges View Post
    I staked out my spot yesterday. Nobody better mess with my Biohazard Warning Area tape. Let me know if you want a spot too, right now, I have about a third of an acre for sale.

PS, Dear Moderators and Rally Staff, you are reading these posts, right?
    Right!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    Hope to see you there.
    I'll be easy to spot....I'm scheduled for 12pm gate duty on Wednesday and will checking for valid passports.
    98 R1200C Canyon Red

Hear that ticking sound? jnerges's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebgen View Post
    I'll be easy to spot....I'm scheduled for 12pm gate duty on Wednesday and will checking for valid passports.
    You must have your papers or you will be detained for questioning

I'm a new BMW rider, and this will be my first national rally. Have to admit, listening to all the grief here over camping territorial line boundaries has me worried about riding in solo and setting up. I'm in it for fun, so if this is really a big deal, I probably won't be back for the next one. I have to put up with enough BS in the real world, and don't expect to have to mess around with all this foolishness in the fun world. Any other rally (Hog Rock, Branson, numerous small weekend Missouri rallies, Sturgis, etc) I've just ridden in and said "Hey" to people around me and had a blast getting to know some new folks. I guess everything is different in the BMW world, but I sure hope that the survey results that stated that BMW drivers (car) are some of the most disrespectful of other drivers doesn't apply to the MC population.....

It is the same here

Quote Originally Posted by weschmann View Post
    I'm a new BMW rider, and this will be my first national rally. Have to admit, listening to all the grief here over camping territorial line boundaries has me worried about riding in solo and setting up. I'm in it for fun, so if this is really a big deal, I probably won't be back for the next one. I have to put up with enough BS in the real world, and don't expect to have to mess around with all this foolishness in the fun world. Any other rally (Hog Rock, Branson, numerous small weekend Missouri rallies, Sturgis, etc) I've just ridden in and said "Hey" to people around me and had a blast getting to know some new folks. I guess everything is different in the BMW world, but I sure hope that the survey results that stated that BMW drivers (car) are some of the most disrespectful of other drivers doesn't apply to the MC population.....
    There were over 7,000 great people at the rally last year and maybe 5 jerks. I call that pretty good odds. See you there; drop by for a beer.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

You won't be the only new guy there riding alone. I'm sure it will be fine. If you get there before I do, save me a spot.

There are some awesome people that come to the rallies and then some not so great ones . I made up my mind from last years rally I am going to find a spot away from others and become a loner in camping !!! You will find that saving spaces can only be done with people that have pull !!! Good luck and have fun ! Oh look for the only tent in no mans land ( that's me )
    Ever hit 2 deer at 65 m.p.h. and survive ? Then you never have lived life

Kevin

Hey....don't camp too far away. You just might end up having a great time. I mentioned my first national rally was in 2007 at West Bend...didn't know a soul. In addition to meeting a lot of really great people, I still remember having a terrific conversation with an 82 year old who rode in from Michigan of his /5. BTW....he was breaking down his tent after camping the entire rally.

Ride safe and enjoy the Rally
    98 R1200C Canyon Red

Tent spaces tend to get congested closer to the "action", or near the center of the fairground. It can get quite tight.

First, don't bother looking for shade. There just won't be much.

Second, if you want space, look towards the perimeter of the fairground. There is always room, just a matter of looking for it. You'll be farther from the vendors, beer tent, etc. It'll be worth it to many to take the extra couple of minutes to walk the extra distance. Is anyone in a hurry at these events anyway?
    Camping guy

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SherpaMayberry View Post
    It'll be worth it to many to take the extra couple of minutes to walk the extra distance. Is anyone in a hurry at these events anyway?
    No hurry, but old guys tend to have bad knees, hips, etc. and walking isn't so easy.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebgen View Post
    Hey....don't camp too far away. You just might end up having a great time. I mentioned my first national rally was in 2007 at West Bend...didn't know a soul. In addition to meeting a lot of really great people, I still remember having a terrific conversation with an 82 year old who rode in from Michigan of his /5. BTW....he was breaking down his tent after camping the entire rally.

Ride safe and enjoy the Rally
    I just might have the best party at the rally the further I camp outside the idiots that want to stack tents on tents for best spots like at Bloomsburg
    Ever hit 2 deer at 65 m.p.h. and survive ? Then you never have lived life

Kevin

Tent sites

I have met many friends now who I only see at rallies. The camaraderie is great. Hanging out with them is second to none. However when I an IN my tent I am sleeping. I do not have to have the security of my friends all around me. When I am awake, I know where my friends are and I can sit with them or vice versa. So if we are not sleeping next to each other it matters not. In fact I will make new friends with those who are sleeping next to me. Is that not the definition of sleeping together.
    2004 R1150GS
    AMA - BMWMOA - BMWRSOC - AZBEEMERS
    Gilbert, Arizona

I've just ridden in and said "Hey" to people around me and had a blast getting to know some new folks.
    That's certainly my experience with the MOA.

I'll be solo again this year -- let me know if you want me to stake out some space next to my tent ...
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    No hurry, but old guys tend to have bad knees, hips, etc. and walking isn't so easy.
    Remember, there's a rally shuttle to help with that.......Also most committee chairs that are running errands will give you a lift if they're going your way.
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

iscream-stop
    This is my first rally also and camping with my wife. Knowing no one and doing this all for the first time along with heat and stress of bring my wife will make it all a tense experience. Dealing with people stressing over spots is not on my agenda! I have hiked and rode hours and hours over mountains some time to find a camping spot away from anything. Why would I ride ten hours (being almost local) to cram my tent in where I can hear people ten spots over snore, fart and breath it all in. OUt in middle of no where is the way I have always rode so I figure that's the way I will be camping also.