Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rally attendance?

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    ...snip.....

But all this talk of heat and miserable conditions is threatening to overshadow the hard work put in by scores of volunteers before and during the rally. The act of pulling a small town together for four days is pretty impressive!
    +1

well said, Pete.
    Dave
    '92 K75S, '08 F800ST
    Cedar Falls, IA

Outstanding!!

The rally committee and volunteers deserve a round of applause. The rally was awesome, the riding was awesome, the entertainment was awesome. The sweltering heat was most unusual for PA this time of the year but with lots to do, see, and eat one could easily forget how hot it was and just deal with it. The food and bike vendors were excellent as well.

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I was one of the people hoping for 10,000. As I told a buddy Friday "it would be cool to break 10k, then I could say I kept the poo flowing for 10,000 people."

It's not really a goal per se but after Vermont (9200) 10k doesn't seem to far out of reach. I thought PA had a good chance of breaking the record because there are more people who live closer than Vermont.

Did the heat keep us form reaching 10K? Dunno, but I'm sure the heat played a huge role. As an aside today I'm hearing all the stories from folks in my office about how hot and miserable it was here and how our AC couldn't keep the office under 80. Personally I'm pretty happy I was roasting at a rally vs roasting in the office.

In this modern era of "accurate" weather forecasting and the drama that must be inserted into something as mundane as the forecast I fear folks have forgotten that weather is nature and we can not control or ultimately predict exactly what nature will do 12 months, 6 months or sometimes even 6 hours in the future. Weather forecasting is a matter of making highly educated guesses packaged as fact or in the case of the Weather Channel (i.e. the disaster channel) entertainment.

Somewhere along the way folks seem to have lost their ability to adapt.

Yup it was hot. The rally chairs adapted by bringing in misters, lawn sprinklers and directing us volunteers who could to load up our carts with bottled water and give it away. Next time you go to rally and it rains for 48 hrs ask yourself if you would rather it was 100 degrees and dry. There are stories of MOA rallies that were lakes and there are stories of rallies where it was too hot. One thing I've learned over the years is it might be hot or it might rain but if I'm ready for both it will be a great time.

Giving away water was a total blast, the best volunteer activity I've done in years. We loaded up our monster cart with almost 500 bottles and had a ball giving them away. The crew who rode with me enjoyed it too, as Leana said "how can you not enjoy doing this, it spreads instant happiness.

I had a great rally, my son had a great rally and I hope you did too. Now I'm looking forward to enjoying the rest of the summer and planning for next year!
    Last edited by robnye; 07-25-2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Well said Rob!

Well said Rob! Heat happens and we had no A/C before 1903 ever, that's why "summer people" headed for the hills! As you said we are failing to adapt, which is not good as a species!

And yes, rain for 3 days would have been worse. The committees did GREAT JOB and the large tents/awnings at the beer garden was a Godsend, as were the misters and free water. Could have neen a lot worse!

Mark
    2002 R1150R Atlanta Blue
    2004 R1150RT Platinum
    2005 K1200LT Graphite
    www.linkedin.com/in/markmacrae

Back road scratcher dcmcrider1983's Avatar
    I'm going to focus on the positives.

The Rally Organizers should be commended for:

Really pulling out the stops with the locals. Everyone (and I mean everyone I ran into) in Bloomsburg was glad to see us. I didn't get the same vibe in Redmond/Bend last year.

Arranging with the university for the reasonably priced air-conditioned dorms and shuttle bus that were welcome additions. As an ATGATT type, being able to keep the bike parked in the oppressive heat was a great option. In addition, on Friday I was able to ride the bus and get around while my bike was getting a tire change.

I loved the vintage display (not something you see every day.)

Outstanding collection of vendors in one place. In the age of the internet, a "petting zoo" of gear, parts and accessories is simply invaluable.

Who knew there was a scenic covered bridge and swimming hole within shouting distance of the fairgrounds?
    Paul Wilson
    Washington DC
    2009 R1200GS "Franz"

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Any that say.."I survived Bloomsburg"
    If they make it I will buy it!
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

Anyone notice the high water mark on the side of the stage? It was about 4' deep - that could have been the other extreme. Reminiscent of the '07 Guzzi rally in MN

yes it was HOT, but then again the weather (as has been duly noted) will do that which it will. anyone who waits for perfect weather will A: be disappointed and B: perhaps never leave the house.

this was my very first MOA [inter?] National Rally and i had a great time. i met LOTS of people, and volunteered in a couple locations around camp (beer *tent* & main stage) the heat was oppressive but offset quite adequately by the sheer enthusiasm of the organizers and the attendees. the food vendors were well selected with plenty of variety and folks were obviously happy with the beer... there were all the M/C related vendors which i might have hoped for and i bought a Vanson Mesh Jacket and some P3 flashing lights from Skene Designs... and had my Ohlins Shock adjusted, which the Ohlins guys were nice enough to do free!

i can tell you that it's a rare event which puts out coolers of ice water and then also staff volunteers to carry bottled ice water around to GIVE AWAY to their attendees! IMO the event staff is to be commended for their efforts to keep us all hydrated, if nothing else. anywhere else, it'd be water all right- for 4.00 a bottle!

cheers!
    Tom

angysdad
    Hat's off to the organizers and the volunteers.They deserve at least three rounds of 'Hoorah!!!'.
    At least two rounds of 'hoorah' should go to the attendees. It would have been easy to stay away. Those who did not attend have no reason to second guess their decision. It was VERY hot. 'I survived' shirts would definately be appropriate. I witnessed no arguments or voices raised in anger as one might expect when exposing thousands of people to such conditions. People looked out for their neighbours and we all got through it.
    A big THANK YOU to the 7000+ who made it a memoral event despite/because of the heat.
    As the new add says...'I am the MOA'...WE are the MOA!

Thanks to the organizers and volunteers. A wonderful job done by all. A big salute to all of those who camped. While I love camping, I'm really glad I had a dorm apartment. The accommodations, the food, and the shuttle were great. I had a good time as I have had at every MOA rally that I've attended. I think that I will skip Missouri next year though. Missouri in July is too hot for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    ..............Even Montreal was as hot as our rally so should we go further north ?
    Yes. Bring it here. Been in the high 60's to low 70's the past week.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

a "petting zoo" of gear
    Now that is right funny, right there!

BTW, you folks used 137 rolls of toilet paper in a bit over 24 hours................Yup, I always knew it, we are all full of _ _ _ _ !...... (Well, I guess we aren't anymore!)

And how about the Strawberry Shortcake! A 16" tall piece or wonder!

And the dancing condoms............you don't see that at most rallies!

And although it was much less, there were still some ass hats standing up on their pegs as they rode through the rally ground (I'm not sure why this bugs me so much)

And how about the machine gun demonstration out at the WWII re-enactment! Too cool! And the WWII folks in general were amazingly informative and extremely entertaining........and they did it all in wool uniforms!

And how about the rope swing down at the "crick"..........

And how about..............
    RoyB....
    2007 BMW K1200R Sport (abs),2007 Suzuki dl650 V Strom (abs),2004 Honda VFR (abs),1972 Honda Trail 90,
    2001 Moto Guzzi V-11 Rosso Mandello

Quote Originally Posted by rbertalotto View Post
    Now that is right funny, right there!

BTW, you folks used 137 rolls of toilet paper in a bit over 24 hours................Yup, I always knew it, we are all full of _ _ _ _ !...... (Well, I guess we aren't anymore!)

And how about the Strawberry Shortcake! A 16" tall piece or wonder!

And the dancing condoms............you don't see that at most rallies!

And although it was much less, there were still some ass hats standing up on their pegs as they rode through the rally ground (I'm not sure why this bugs me so much)

And how about the machine gun demonstration out at the WWII re-enactment! Too cool! And the WWII folks in general were amazingly informative and extremely

entertaining........and they did it all in wool uniforms!

And how about the rope swing down at the "crick".......

And how about..............

The shortcake was GOOD!
    2008 BMW R1200GS
    "Avoidance of danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." Helen Keller

Sorry, there was a slide with that information, and the country information but it was so hot that they were trying to move the ceremony along faster and the slide got lost in the process.

I am still unpacking and crunching numbers. It will be put on the site as soon as I can get it to Vince and will be in the ON later. In the meantime the slide said:

Total attendance: 7330

14 Countries present:

US: 5809
    Canada: 629
    Mexico: 8
    Australia: 3
    Belgium: 3
    UK: 2
    China: 1
    Germany: 1
    India: 1
    Israel: 1
    Norway: 1
    Pakistan: 1
    S. Korea: 1
    Sweden: 1

Caveat: All tallies are extremely rough this year. Hundreds of people were too hot to fill out their registration forms and all we got was a name; no other information whatsoever.

Holly Ralph
    Awards and Tallies Chair
    Volunteer for the 2014 Rally in St. Paul. rallyvolunteer@bmwmoa.org

Smile

"But all this talk of heat and miserable conditions is threatening to overshadow the hard work put in by scores of volunteers before and during the rally. The act of pulling a small town together for four days is pretty impressive! "

I agree with that statement! Many people worked hard, and thanks!! I was camped next to the ice truck trailer, and there was one guy who worked ALL WEEK long hauling ice, his shirt wet all the time,and not from ice!! I know there were others who worked, not rode around, equally as hard, it's just that I saw what he did, and most of it manual labor!!!!!!!!!!!!1