Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rally attendance?

I had a group of FIVE leaving Friday 7AM to the rally... 4 cancelled due to the heat (prudence!) A few of us drove up (and I saw a TON of cars there) on Saturday for the day just so we could "attend"...

As was said, I think a LARGE number decided to bag it rather than suffer that heat o, heat exhaustion or worse heat stroke. I had a conversation with one of the vendors (and he was a young, thin kid!) and he said he was taken to the hospital the night before due to the heat....
    Phil W2GE
    2010 R1200RT 1998 KLX300R
    New Sweden BMW Riders
    iPhone5-> Zumo 660->SENA SMH10, Nuvi 500,

Registered User Luvmybeemerbike's Avatar
    This was my first MOA rally and I thought it was extremely well run and organized. Yes, the weather was horrible, I felt and got sick and I didn't get to enjoy the rally as much as I wanted, but still had a good time. If I have to really complain about anything it's the lack of support for my particular BMW model. Would I attend another one? Maybe. I liked the antique BMW's in one of the buildings, if you look real close, you can see Bob, from Bob's BMW fame sitting in front of one or more of his bikes, very cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." --John Lennon

It was a good time . . .

You can piss and moan all you want. We responded to the needs of the attendees. They were uncomfortable but remained calm. Weather is a variable.
    It was not perfect. Next time get off your Lazyboy and man up or woman up. It was a quality presentation.
    The beer was too cold and it must have been good because it almost ran out!
    Campbell Tellman II

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    I feel the need to highlight a distinction here.

Yes, the weather was inclement, but it's not like a dome of hot was parked directly over Bloomsburg. That heat wave covered half the nation and there was no way anybody could have predicted the timing or extent of it. So let's not blame the organizers for the weather; let's just ask that they show a bit of flexibility going forward.

I didn't attend because (1) I travel with my dog and Barley has a tough time dealing with heat in that fur coat of his, and (2) I suffered from heat stroke twice while in the military and don't tolerate heat very well myself anymore. Personal choice. If I miss a rally now and then the world isn't going to end.

But all this talk of heat and miserable conditions is threatening to overshadow the hard work put in by scores of volunteers before and during the rally. The act of pulling a small town together for four days is pretty impressive!
    Well put and I volunteered running water and ice to all the water stations that were put out. I ended up going down inside the education building from not eating , the heat and my blood pressure topped off .. My fault I did not eat , but tried to keep everyone cool with fresh water and ice .. I did stay hydrated but not eating did me in .. I love volunteering and encourage others do so too ..
    Ever hit 2 deer at 65 m.p.h. and survive ? Then you never have lived life

Kevin

I had this week slotted for vacation for 6 months now, and unfortunately work kept me around until Friday night. I did ride up from DC leaving at 5am and the ride was just awesome with nice weather in the mid-70's all the way up. It didn't get hot until mid-morning, and then it did indeed get hot and muggy. Was it uncomfortably hot? You bet. Did all the free bottles of water handed out by volunteers every time I turned a corner make it quite bearable? You bet

My hat is off to all the volunteers, you all did a fantastic job and I had a blast.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Rode up from FL expecting the usual Pocono Summer cool air. What a shock!
    My brother and I camped Thurs night, but moved to the dorms on Fri.
    I left Sat AM to head back to FL and it was some of the hottest riding I've ever done.

I do think the rally staff did the best they could and made a great effort to keep everyone as cool and hydrated as possible. THANK YOU!

As far as the heat, I just kept thinking about our troops in Iraq faced with 100+ degree heat and kevlar on top. My ride seemed much more comfortable!

I would certainly agree

that the organizers and the volunteers did yeoman's work under severe conditions. And no one could have expected or predicted such insane heat. But perhaps if the rally wasn't held in the hottest month of the year, there would be less chance for such an awful weather pattern to be part of our event.

I know that this has been addressed before, but how can it NOT be at least discussed again??

scott c
    Somers, NY

Just enjoying the ride.......

I LOVE this BMW MOA family! Thank you all for the positive comments.

This reunion tested us all, but we all made the best of it and had a great time.

As to future planning, we'll learn from this and make Missouri even better.

See you all there.

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Quote Originally Posted by sdpc2 View Post
    that the organizers and the volunteers did yeoman's work under severe conditions. And no one could have expected or predicted such insane heat. But perhaps if the rally wasn't held in the hottest month of the year, there would be less chance for such an awful weather pattern to be part of our event.

I know that this has been addressed before, but how can it NOT be at least discussed again??

scott c
    There is a thread rolling on this already. Go chime in....
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges"!

1983 R100RT (and broke my leg)
    1996 K1100RS-SE

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    I had this week slotted for vacation for 6 months now, and unfortunately work kept me around until Friday night. I did ride up from DC leaving at 5am and the ride was just awesome with nice weather in the mid-70's all the way up. It didn't get hot until mid-morning, and then it did indeed get hot and muggy. Was it uncomfortably hot? You bet. Did all the free bottles of water handed out by volunteers every time I turned a corner make it quite bearable? You bet

My hat is off to all the volunteers, you all did a fantastic job and I had a blast.
    Amen Ted, even though I didn't make it, I know that at any rally volunteers are the backbone of the event.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges"!

1983 R100RT (and broke my leg)
    1996 K1100RS-SE

GIZMO
    Quote Originally Posted by GSCookeMnster View Post
    I would suspect the weather caused this dramatic lowering of attendance. Once again, the national doesn't serve up anything that's worth riding in this heatwave. Let's get the rally into a timeframe that is more favorable to riding, to hell with all the other considerations!
    This has been requested, discussed and kicked around many times before.... ain't gonna happen.

Holly, the Awards & Tally Chair said 7330 in attendance.
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Attendance vs. passes sold? I would say they sold in excess of 10,000..but how many of the pre-registed showed up? My wrist band said 10,309 but who's counting..
    The numbers on the wristbands do not correlate to the attendance numbers.
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Director - Ambassador
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Was it uncomfortably hot? You bet. Did all the free bottles of water handed out by volunteers every time I turned a corner make it quite bearable? You bet

+ a million
    Sue Rihn #43753

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    This has been requested, discussed and kicked around many times before.... ain't gonna happen.
    never say never
    Sue Rihn #43753