Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rally Picture:Hmmm........What is wrong with that picture?

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
    It is too bad Canada is off the list. I think it would be a great choice especially for State siders.
    I agree that there would be many parts of Canada that would be "prime" for another MOA rally.

How about an BMWMOA international lite. Might not be as big (vendors and attendees) but we can sure make up for it in scenery and riding areas.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

Jack Herbst
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    The Eastern states join the Atlantic Ocean or are connected to a state that joins the Atlantic. Anything west of the Mississippi is west.
    Now where did you get that information? That makes about as much sense as saying the Continental divide divides East and West! Draw a line down the middle of the U S North to South and you will have East and West. That would be a line that runs from approximately from North Dakota through Western Texas. Do the same for North and South or take a class in Geography.

Jack
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    The Eastern states join the Atlantic Ocean or are connected to a state that joins the Atlantic. Anything west of the Mississippi is west.
    in an effort to help keep this thread as far off the original topic as possible...

If you go by the club forums, MO is in the midwest.
    Being both a Civil War buff, and a Naval History buff ( I probably need to get out more...) mention made in several books I have with regard to Union forces securing "the great ship building centers of the west" are referring to St. Louis...

From where I sit, virtually everything in the United States is east... except Hawaii.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Growing up in SE Houston,TX, anything north of IH-10 was The North

Our geography lessons from the 'ol days said the Mississippi River was the east/west dividing line. Most folks do not factor in state 49 & 50 when using that theory. Watched an interesting show the other night on how we got the time zones lined up the way we did...all in all for the railroads scheduling.
    And if you get picky, Texas is more South than a lot of states claiming that status...I understand the Old South from Civil War era history as well

Back to the off track thread...
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Smile

I wore long sleeve micro-fiber shirts at the Bloomsburg Rally. Splashing water around your neck and down the sleeves gives you a welcome cooling effect that is suprising.
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

Quote Originally Posted by Rpbump View Post
    I wore long sleeve micro-fiber shirts at the Bloomsburg Rally. Splashing water around your neck and down the sleeves gives you a welcome cooling effect that is suprising.
    A good way to stay cool and keep the sun off.

Cool Stayed away from wearing cotton shirts

My wife and I bought a 'body rag' from the frogg togg venter. Kept it wet and around our necks for 3 days. The evaporating effect was very pleasant, but we also needed to supplement our fluid intake with electrolyte replacing fluids (not BEER - until the sun went down). We heard there was a river near by, but didn't get to go for a swim. Anyone out there get to enjoy the river?

Mike and Martine
    76 R90/6
    93 R100R Legend

The river was wonderful! We camped in the field down there and just walked over each day and floated around for an hour or so in the afternoon.
    14 R1200GSA, 93 R100R. No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Growing up in SE Houston,TX, anything north of IH-10 was The North

Our geography lessons from the 'ol days said the Mississippi River was the east/west dividing line. Most folks do not factor in state 49 & 50 when using that theory. Watched an interesting show the other night on how we got the time zones lined up the way we did...all in all for the railroads scheduling.
    And if you get picky, Texas is more South than a lot of states claiming that status...I understand the Old South from Civil War era history as well

Back to the off track thread...
    How true!

My best childhood friend moved to Houston from Dallas. Some of the kids in the neighborhood called him "Yankee" for years.

Quote Originally Posted by chiba13 View Post
    My guess is the tradition for holding the rally in mid-July was set back in the 70s when many of the organizers had school-year-based obligations (I'm just guessing) and now that tradition's been set & ingrained for so long that nobody feels it can be changed. I'm guessing it would be quite a challenge for the MOA leadership to change the date range of the rally - but it sure would be nice to see that happen. Surely they could try a September rally once & see what the attendance was like. Then at least everybody would know if high attendance is season-dependant.
    Not every BMW rider is a 65 year old guy in a Aerostich. Some of us are young and have young kids. If you truly want the MOA to die out from old age do everything you can to discourage new blood like changing the National to when the kids are in school in The fall.
    Sharon - WI Club, #GSGiants2014
    1999 R1100R
    1973 R60/5
    2014 - sold the sidecars and my super short GS! Bought a F650GS Twin

In order to attract new riders to the MOA we must remain inflexible!

Jack Herbst
    If we are going to continue MOA nationals in the middle of summer at least have them some place above 5000 feet. Cool at night and tolerable in the daytime.

Just returned from Paonia, CO and Top Of The Rockies Rally. Great weather and incredible riding.

I assume the 2013 and the 2014 rallys will be in the Southwest and the Northwest according to MOA protocol and rules right? Divisian of the US in four equal land masses. NW, SW, NE, and SE.

The MOA should be a little more cognisant of the physical locations of these rallys so as to spread the distances that each member has to travel to attend. No the Mississipi is not the North South dividing line of the US. This is simply Eastern mentality.

When I was selecting and researching sites for a large aviation group (10,280 members) I always kept in mind the distace that all members had to travel each year. This included location, weather, facilaties,rooms and number of members in different states.

Why can't the MOA do the same? If you total the attendees you will find more people are staying in Hotels/Motels than camping. There are never any rooms available at the rally sites that are chosen. Choose a site with a larger population hence more available rooms. ie A/C Most of the MOA members are older and would prefer a room to a tent if any were available.

Jack
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Why can't the MOA do the same? If you total the attendees you will find more people are staying in Hotels/Motels than camping. There are never any rooms available at the rally sites that are chosen. Choose a site with a larger population hence more available rooms. ie A/C Most of the MOA members are older and would prefer a room to a tent if any were available.Jack
    A site with a larger population would almost have to be in or near a substantial city. Would members who live in or near a large city want to go to another city for a rally? Would those of us who live and ride in the country want to go to a rally in a large city? Would members want to battle city traffic to ride and would there be any good places to ride near the city?

Of the rallies I have attended, my favorites were Johnson City and Bloomsburg. I think a small city near a university is a good place for a rally. The facilities were not the best at either one but I thought there were other positives that outweighed that factor. The riding, peacefulness and friendliness of small cities are important to me. The lodging availablity at Johnson City was helped by it being near Bristol Motor Speedway that used to attract 160,000 people twice a year for NASCAR racing. The lodging availability at Bloomsburg was helped by the availability of dorms at the university.

The weather at Johnson City was very warm during the day but the nights cooled off nicely. The weather at Bloomsburg was a quirk that could not have been anticipated. It was cooler before and after the rally. The weather just happened to be hot that particular week as it was in about half of the country.

I hope the board continues to seek out locations in small cities or large towns with a college or university located near them. I think they should work with the educational institutions like the did with Bloomsburg University to make dorms available to the membership. The arrangements can be beneficial for all concerned. It gives members reasonably priced and convenient lodging and it increases the income for the college or university at a time when the dorms are normally empty.

Ken
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

If we are going to continue MOA nationals in the middle of summer at least have them some place above 5000 feet. Cool at night and tolerable in the daytime....

Jack
    I agree Jack.

But their problem with this is; the suitably large, "state fair" type locations above 5000' are going to be very limited. Especially in the east where they'll attract a large attendance. The problem they're having with their rally "model" is having all four; (1) location with moderate temperatures , (2) required large arena type site, (3) in the east or mid-west the majority of the time, (4) always in July.
    In order to attract and simply accommodate the most riders you can't do much about 2 and 3. Numbers 1 and 4 usually contradict.

One solution could be to just alternate a,b,c;
    a) Higher elevations (typically the west) in July
    b) East or mid-west in July and just deal with the heat and humidity.
    c) East, mid-west, even the south, in a suitable month. Maybe September?

This compromise still keeps the rally in July 2/3 of the time.
    But 1/3 of the time allows much more flexibility to choose a site in the east, mid-west, or south. It also accommodates those that have difficulty getting away in July (due to work, family activity, etc). This while offering the likelihood of moderate temperatures.

No the Mississipi is not the North South dividing line of the US. This is simply Eastern mentality.
    Jack
    I am sure you meant E/W, but where exactly would you draw the E/W line?

I have several maps that define Eastern US vs Western US. The Big Muddy is still that line.

I have three Rand McNally regional series maps that move Wisconsin,Illinois and Missisippi into the Central zone that is basically everything directly above Texas and the Big River to the East.( with those three state exceptions)

The Western zone is everything west of that Central block.

Noticed Rand's HQ is in Skokie, Illinois...maybe they didn't want to be Easterners according to their map zoning?
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait