Thread: Rally Picture:Hmmm........What is wrong with that picture?

Hybrid View

Talking Rally Picture:Hmmm........What is wrong with that picture?

When this web site came up there is a picture of people sitting at tables drinking beer and they all have long sleeved shirts and jackets on? Where they at the same rally that I attended? : )

Jack Herbst
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
    When this web site came up there is a picture of people sitting at tables drinking beer and they all have long sleeved shirts and jackets on? Where they at the same rally that I attended? : )
    Old Rally picture. I have seen it before.

Jack
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

they all have long sleeved shirts and jackets on?
    brain freeze syndrome I'd say, obviously some of our southern brethren trying to keep their body core temps up ...
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

First, congratulations to the numerous people who put on what appeared from the videos to be a great rally. I wish I could have gone, but work kept me in San Antonio.

The post brings up an old question, is the middle of summer the right time to have the rally?

The post brings up an old question, is the middle of summer the right time to have the rally?
    Sure beats the middle of winter.... . .

Summer is the only season in North America that folks can rely on to get to any other portion of the country via motorcycle; winter and spring being ice-bound in many parts of the States.

With the onset of the "Holiday Season", which basically starts with Labor Day and the beginning of the "school year", it would be difficult to schedule a big rally in the autumn.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    Sure beats the middle of winter.... . .

Summer is the only season in North America that folks can rely on to get to any other portion of the country via motorcycle; winter and spring being ice-bound in many parts of the States.

With the onset of the "Holiday Season", which basically starts with Labor Day and the beginning of the "school year", it would be difficult to schedule a big rally in the autumn.
    I would have to disagree. Fall would be an excellent time for a large rally. From the looks of the crowds at the fair, it would seem that 95 percent of the participants don't have to worry anymore about taking the kids back to school or even going back to work.

I heard many, many people at the rally saying that the club should take into consideration the average climate specs of the proposed rally location before making a choice.

Back to the original question.

Just got my August ON, it's a picture from the BMW Motorrad Days in Germany July 1st-3rd...funny it was cold there in July,eh? But it was in the Alps
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    In an effort to further derail the original post...and in response to osbornk.....
    Wikipedia says:
    "One of the locations claimed to be the Geographic Center of the Contiguous (or Conterminous) United States is pinpointed by a historical marker that is located within a small park near the town of Lebanon, Kansas. It is located at the intersection of AA Road and K-191, accessible by a turn-off from U.S. Route 281 approximately a mile north of the town.

This marker and the purported center should not be confused with the geographical center of the United States, which is measured using all fifty states, not just the "lower 48.""

Having been born and raised significantly west of that point and now living a couple hundred feet east of the Pacific (where the high rarely reaches the upper 70's)......the common frame of reference for those in the 'East' has always puzzled me. Sort of reminds me of the New Yorker Magazine art where everything west of downtown NY is considered 'The West'....

But, since the nation is broken into 4 zones, I expect the National to be back within a reasonable distance in another few years. It is our peak season with a full house nearly all month and the Mendocino Music Fest, so I can't go anyway, but maybe some day we might actually Retire! Then we can ride to wherever it is....Y'All have fun in Sedalia, y'hear?
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >132,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Why have it east again? Hardly seems fair.
    I attended the "first timer's meet & greet" & a man (I forget his name, but he's part of the MOA leadership) fielded a question similar to this. He said the MOA divides the country into 4 parts & they rotate the rally between the slices.

39 - Bloomsburg, PA
    38 - Redmond, OR
    37 - Johnson City, TN
    36 - Gillette, WY
    35 - West Bend, WI
    34 - Essex Junction, VT
    33 - Lima, OH
    32 - Spokane, WA
    31 - Charleston, WV

etc. He said the rally is unlikely to ever take place in Canada again (last one was 2002, Trenton, ON) due to the number of people that cross the border & how many problems that caused. There's a whole list of requirements for the rally location, many of which I imagine are somewhat difficult to fulfill. Basically, it sounded like a pain in the neck to find a good rally location & I doubt they're going to ever find one that's PERFECT. Certainly, no matter where they choose to hold the rally some people will love it & some will hate it. They'll never make everyone happy.

Quote Originally Posted by ridewv View Post
    For example the average high temp in Sedalia MO in July is 89 degrees (7 higher than Bloomsburg).
    The average July temp for the Washington DC area this year was 84.5 degrees, the hottest July average in history, yet for several days in July, Washington DC was the hottest place in the north of the equator. One day the heat index was over 120 degrees. That is impossible to predict from the "average" monthly temperature.

Going by the "average" temperature isn't really the best way to go, since most of us (motorcycle riders) are rarely awake or riding during the coolest part of the day (call it 0200-0600). Maybe awake & *drinking*, but awake & riding? Not really.

Picking a place where the average DAYTIME temperature is below 90 degrees would sure be nice.
    I'm glad I went to the rally. I had fun hanging out with my friends, making some new ones, etc. I did not have fun at the actual rally/on the fairgrounds. It was miserable all day, every day. You couldn't even go to the seminars for some relief. Sure, you were out of the sun, but it was so friggin' hot & humid that it didn't really matter. You were still miserable, just not getting sunburned I don't know how the campers survived or managed to get any sleep at all. As long as they keep holding the rallies in the summer, my first rally will also be my last. I'm glad I did it once, though, and think the town of Bloomsburg really stepped up and were great hosts.

My guess is the tradition for holding the rally in mid-July was set back in the 70s when many of the organizers had school-year-based obligations (I'm just guessing) and now that tradition's been set & ingrained for so long that nobody feels it can be changed. I'm guessing it would be quite a challenge for the MOA leadership to change the date range of the rally - but it sure would be nice to see that happen. Surely they could try a September rally once & see what the attendance was like. Then at least everybody would know if high attendance is season-dependant.
    --
    - '05 R1200GS - '98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -

It is too bad Canada is off the list. I think it would be a great choice especially for State siders.

It is too bad Canada is off the list. I think it would be a great choice especially for State siders.
    I agree that there would be many parts of Canada that would be "prime" for another MOA rally.

How about an BMWMOA international lite. Might not be as big (vendors and attendees) but we can sure make up for it in scenery and riding areas.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

Quote Originally Posted by chiba13 View Post
    My guess is the tradition for holding the rally in mid-July was set back in the 70s when many of the organizers had school-year-based obligations (I'm just guessing) and now that tradition's been set & ingrained for so long that nobody feels it can be changed. I'm guessing it would be quite a challenge for the MOA leadership to change the date range of the rally - but it sure would be nice to see that happen. Surely they could try a September rally once & see what the attendance was like. Then at least everybody would know if high attendance is season-dependant.
    Not every BMW rider is a 65 year old guy in a Aerostich. Some of us are young and have young kids. If you truly want the MOA to die out from old age do everything you can to discourage new blood like changing the National to when the kids are in school in The fall.
    Sharon - WI Club
    1999 R1100R
    Really freakin' short 2007 F650GS
    2014 - Selling 92R100RT with EML sidecar and going to buy a 700GS Twin

In order to attract new riders to the MOA we must remain inflexible!
    14 R1200GSA, 93 R100R. No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by chiba13 View Post
    snip Surely they could try a September rally once & see what the attendance was like. Then at least everybody would know if high attendance is season-dependant.
    Still keeping this thread off-topic, I'll stick my neck out on this one. I've read in several places on the Forum over the past week that scheduling the National Rally in July is considered by some to not be a good idea and that having it in September or even October or perhaps May would be better. If one lives south of the Mason-Dixon line I can see where that might be a marvelous idea. I've heard it's very nice that time of year down south.

Feeling like a rather lonely voice out here in forumland, I'm not really in favor of moving the National Rally to early fall or late spring. Without any scientific stats to quote I would hazard the guess that the weather is the most stable and dry in much of the U.S. during July/August. I live in New England and up here before Memorial Day and after Labor Day our weather can be dicey at best. Sometimes we have stunningly gorgeous falls and the easy summer riding weather seems to go on forever and the riding is pure heaven and can go as late as November (no, I'm not one who rides all winter and I store my bike "off-site"). I've also seen our weather turn wet, cold, and inhospitable as if someone flipped a switch during the Labor Day weekend and stay that way until the snow flies. I've also seen New England have intoxicatingly beautiful springs that just sweetly flow into summer. I've also seen New England get snow as late a May 8th and I'm not talking a little dusting of snow - the storm I am recalling we got 6 to 8 inches of the wonderful white stuff and lost a lot of trees and bushes because they were in bloom. I've seen New England have late winter weather go on and on for what seems like forever. This year was a little bit like that.

The last National Rally I went to was in DuQuion, IL, and that year New England basically wasn't having summer - at all. It was sunny and hot at the rally and was just delightful *because* it was sunny and hot (not like the hot this year tho) and that was pretty much all the summer I got that year.

The last trip I took out west to CO on the bike was in mid-September of 2006 and the entire trip was cold. Of the 3 weeks that I was traveling there was only one day that I didn't have the heated grips turned on and all of my cold-weather gear on - and I mean ALL of it because I didn't own electrics at that time. That year was the year of the surprise September snow storm in CO that closed a lot of passes and at that point of the trip I was on a tight schedule to get back east. To find a navigable pass I had to go 2 or 3 hours out of my way south to find one. While the road was passable, the black ice and mid-20's temps were no fun.

So, no, I'm not really in favor of having the National Rally held in May, September, or October. Call me a wimp (I've been called worse) but I don't really savor riding in the cold, the rain, or a cold rain which IMHO you're more likely to have in May, September, and especially October - at least here in the great white north you are. Like most everyone else, I've been there, done that, and still don't enjoy the cold and/or rain on the bike. I'd rather ride in the heat - at least there's always a breeze blowing then.

respectfully, Rapunzel

2004 R115R, before that 1980 R65