Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: moving the rally to the spring or fall

Quote Originally Posted by GSCookeMnster View Post
    I had planned to attend, but when the weather report came out Monday that it was going to be in the upper 90's in PA and all the NE, I decided to stay home. Nothing at the rally is worth riding all day in this heat.

I think Sept is the perfect time to ride, cool in the north and at least moderate along the middle belt of the country.
    I agree. I don't get the chance to do many road trips because I am still working, so I'll pick more favorable weather to head out. ATGATT and 100F/high humidity makes for discomfort. Sleeping in a tent when it's still 88F at 10:00 p.m. isn't too appealing, either.

Pick a cooler location, high up in the Rockies, or cooler time of year.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Last time I checked you can't please every one.
    i completely agree with this statement but the fact that this discussion is even taking place tells me there are some members that feel a change is is order. changing the month of the rally does not have to be something set in stone that can never be changed again. in fact, i think something along the lines of even years the rally is held in the fall and odd years it is held in July, thus pleasing the old school, dyed in the wool MOA members.

i also understand that once school starts some folks would not be able to attend, but i think the majority would plan there vacation around the timing of the rally, like most already do.

i am sorry if i came across as whining, i am not, i am merely trying to open the lines of communication to see if it is possible to change when the rally is held, and if it is not possible to change then to find out why.

Three points to remember.

Camp Gears is the future core of the MOA, its our only strong point grasping the " youth market share." WE can NOT afford to limit their rally involvement by having an event during thier school year.

There is also a " break even " point that WE have to obtain to have a successful rally or the MOA will be finacially bleeding regardless how intellegent our stewards have been or will be with the already declined membership.

Statdawg drank too much Kool aid in this heat. IMO its not as hot as 126 F on a road in Africa, so a little heat in Pennsylvania can be tolerant to see family.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

Camp Gears is the future core of the MOA, its our only strong point grasping the " youth market share." WE can NOT afford to limit their rally involvement by having a event during thier school year.
    yes the youth is our future but like most adults that will miss work for a week to attend the rally, missing a week at the beginning of the school year does not seem like that big of a deal to me. how many parents pull there kids out of school for a vacation in mid winter?

now please do not get me wrong, or take offense to my next statement but, if you base the time of the rally solely on the school year and Camp Gears attendance then your ignoring what the other 10,000 + members that attend may want. despite agreeing with you that the youth is our future you can't ignore the many for the benefit of the few, even if the few in this case are future MOA members.

al from chgo burbs lilredroadster's Avatar
    September would be the best. Most of us are past the age when we have kids in school and what percent are teachers?
    90+ temps are dangerous to be all geared up riding all day.
    MOA please take this into consideration!
    Al From Chgo Burbs
    BETTERMENT THROUGH BADGERMENT

Location arguments have been put out in the past as explanations for the level of rally attendance. The argument goes along the lines that you draw a 500 hundred mile radius around a rally site. The greater the population to draw from the greater the attendance is likely to be at a rally. Proximity to large populations seem to make the difference in attendance added to the core of membership that will turn up any time of the year

Changing time of year to take advantage of some of the areas mentioned before would seem to require selecting a site that is interesting and appealing along with maximizing the potential rider base in the 500 mile radius.

Getting there always creates difficulties for some no matter the time of year or location. Daytona Bike Week seems to draw big from Fly-Over-Land and the area around Lock and Dam No. 1 even though we have to shovel snow to get there.

Camp Gears ÔÇô "Camp Gears is the future core of the MOA, its our only strong point grasping the " youth market share." WE can NOT afford to limit their rally involvement by having an event during thier school year. " Are we limiting the involvement of youth riders in the areas because we ignore certain areas of the country? A spring or fall rally may require a shift in thinking and timing to address school and other issues raised.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

It's beautiful here in the SF Bay area right now, and normally is this time of year. High 70's. No humidity. Lots to do. TONS of awesome riding.

just sayin...

;-)
    Tom - MOA #156706, Hayward, CA
    2006 BMW R1200GS Adventure, aka "Gretel"
    1983 Honda V65 Magna - SOLD
    http://www.flyv65.com

Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar

The Time for a Change to Fall or Spring Rallies is long Overdue! Let's give it a try

My MOA # is 24810 and I joined MOA in 1980, started riding BMW in Germany in 1969 and never have stopped riding Beemers. I've been saying for years MOA needs to look at Spring or Fall Rallies, but MOA simply does not want to accept any status quo changes.

While I regularly and routinely attend the MOA National Rallies, I do not attend them with the frequency I used to 32 years ago. Why? Because the summer heat is so oppressive.

While I do heartily applaud Camp Gears, Camp Gears's only been around for a few years!

MOA does not listen or care about moving the Rally time, that's why I go elsewhere now!
    Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    Yes, it is July. Yes, it is hot. But that is the luck of the draw. If we had been here last week, the temps would have been in the 70s and not the 90s.

Did that whine come with your BMW?
    The international rally is just one big commercialized event and when you seen one you seen 'em all, imo. I enjoy attending air head tech sessions much more than MOA organized events. They focus on camaraderie, good food and airhead beemers and to me that is what it is all about. So having said that about the international rally add the weather factor in and as far as I am concerned fugetaboutit. If the rally is held in Oregon, Washington, Idaho or Montana then have it in July but for the rest of this country do it in the fall. I am 67 and while that isn't ancient the thought of droning across this country in July on a motorcycle to swelter in a beer tent just doesn't get it no way no how.

We (wife and I) attended last years rally in Redmond only because we live in Oregon otherwise we wouldn't bother. If it weren't for the magazine I wouldn't waste my money on the MOA and here lately even the magazine is becoming less appealing. Again, imo. For me BMW lost its appeal when the company strayed very far from its roots that being to build a simple light weight reliable machine that is easy to maintain for its owners.

There, I feel better for having said all that as I sit in my Oregon home where the inside temp is a pleasant 66 un-airconditioned degrees.
    Jammess

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I'm sitting here in an airconditioned dorm in Bloomsburg only because I pre-registered long ago and prepaid for the dorm. I suffered through temperatures as high as 104 on the ride here yesterday. It's supposed to be 99 tomorrow with a heat index of 110. I'm not going to lock myself in by pre-registering and pre-paying for a room again. I'm to old to expose myself to the dangers of heat. This may be my last July rally. Today is cool with a current temperature of 96 with a heat index of 104.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

GSCOOKEMNSTER
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I'm sitting here in an airconditioned dorm in Bloomsburg only because I pre-registered long ago and prepaid for the dorm. I suffered through temperatures as high as 104 on the ride here yesterday. It's supposed to be 99 tomorrow with a heat index of 110. I'm not going to lock myself in by pre-registering and pre-paying for a room again. I'm to old to expose myself to the dangers of heat. This may be my last July rally. Today is cool with a current temperature of 96 with a heat index of 104.
    Yup, this is why I never pre-reg for the rally. I've reserved hotel rooms to some rallys, but I always check into their cancel policy. I want to be able to make the call last minute with no cost to me. I don't mind rain or cold mornings, but high heat is just too much to endure riding in.

Clay
    Yea it's hot here at the Rally..but I think the Rally people are doing an outstanding job in trying to keep us hydrated. I said the same thing to myself I don't need any thing..well I've spent over a grand in accessories. Very easy to get caught up in the moment of (heat) weakness

Clay
    currently at the Bloomsburg Rally

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I had a buddy head towards Bloomsburg from the Boston area today, after the second traffic jam in the first 30 miles, he turned around. "My head felt like it could explode!"

I hope we don't lose anybody, it's dangerous out there!
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

From MARS
    Looking at the pics of the Rally Voni is posting, some of the folks don't look too happy. I'm glad my projects prevented me from planning to attend this year; so I'm not disappointed by having to cancel. Its just not fun sitting around melting in the heat and humidity.

I'd vote to move the rally to a cooler time of year.

Tom

Vote for a Fall National

Last Saturday my wife and I got back from a week ride from Indiana to Arkansas, Missouri, etc. and had the "pleasure" of a week of 100 + degrees and a heat index of 115+ (at least the humidity was low @ 30% and the roads in NW Arkansas were awesome). I too was fully planning to go to the National in PA but, when I saw the heat forecast for the area and the heat here in Indiana, I decided to stay put as I was going to camp (solo ride as my wife is done with camping!). Too bad as I have not been to a National in a few years. Being empty nesters, I vote for a fall National....for what it is worth! Oh well...I guess I can tack three more vacation days back onto my available time off from work!