Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: moving the rally to the spring or fall

Hybrid View

moving the rally to the spring or fall

i know this topic has been discussed before but given the high temps this week in PA i am wondering what it would take for the powers that be in the MOA to move the national rally to either the spring or the fall. by keeping the national rally in mid July there are certain parts of the country (Arizona, Nevada, southern California, Texas etc.) that are excluded from the rotation just because of there climate in mid July. lets all be honest here, how many really like riding day in and day out in 90 + degree weather only to get to the rally and find that the night time temps & humidity don't offer any relief to those that choose to camp on site. what harm is there in trying to have the national in the fall next year, perhaps even alternating the month the rally is held each year. by doing that it will be pretty obvious by the attendance and member feedback which time of the year the members prefer our rally to be held. if i am out of line by suggesting changing the rally to a different time of year then i apologize, but given the fact that upwards of 10,000 riders will be on the road in 90 + temps it only figures there will be a significant number that will succumb to dehydration or heat stroke. perhaps if the first aid tent was filled to capacity with dehydrated riders for the entire rally it might dawn on the executive committee that mid July might not be the best time to hold our national rally.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I was gonna ride there on Friday, but with forecast of 96-100 in Boston, I'm gonna pass.

Hope all that make the effort to get there have a good time and stay hydrated!
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Moondog
    Amen brother. Too damn hot to be on a bike or try and sleep in heat like this. One vote from me to move it to different time of year, especially if they hold it in Vermont again during the fall foliage. What more could one ask for?

BMWMOA, change ?

I can't be done.

Because, thats why.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by widebmw View Post
    BMWMOA, change ?

It can't be done.

Because, thats why.

Yeah, that seems to be the standard response. To be fair, one of the reasons the MOA Rally has such a great selection of vendors is the standard timing lets them plan ahead. But there are parts of the country I'd love to see. Just not in summer...

I was really hoping to check them out as I've been saving up for a shopping spree, but I just can't subject my trusty canine sidecar companion to conditions like this, so will reluctantly pass.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Early May would be good, early in the season. The #4 post has the explanation for not changing it.

Moondog
    Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    Yeah, that seems to be the standard response. To be fair, one of the reasons the MOA Rally has such a great selection of vendors is the standard timing lets them plan ahead. But there are parts of the country I'd love to see. Just not in summer...

I was really hoping to check them out as I've been saving up for a shopping spree, but I just can't subject my trusty canine sidecar companion to conditions like this, so will reluctantly pass.
    Too hot in Vermont? Say it ain't so...!

Quote Originally Posted by moondog View Post
    Amen brother. Too damn hot to be on a bike or try and sleep in heat like this. One vote from me to move it to different time of year, especially if they hold it in Vermont again during the fall foliage. What more could one ask for?
    As a former New Englander, I can assure you that camping in NE during fall season is a recipe for 50F and rain more often than not.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

I posted what I thought was a brief, but concise explanation of why we currently select dates in July for our rally. The "BOARD" does not make this decision - - - the decision is made by the general membership through the Membership Survey which is conducted every 4 or 5 years.

The last unbiased survey we conducted in 2009 of the membership
    indicated that overall, most members still prefer the rally in July,
    and on a weekend.

The 2009 survey I am talking about had several facets: One facet
    included telephone calls to members who were asked if they had 20
    minutes for this survey. Another facet happened at the rally in
    Johnson City (July 2009), where we conducted three Focus Group sessions
    comprised of randomly selected rally-goers, with some of the questions
    specifically centered on the National Rally. These telephones calls &
    focus groups were managed by a research company who is not affiliated
    with the BMW MOA. It was our goal to gather unbiased information where
    people could speak freely.

The results indicated that our members still prefer July weekends. You
    might be interested to know that the board recently decided that rally
    sites would be considered "earlier in the summer" if the dates were the
    only variable stopping us from considering a site.

As an alternative, we have started hosting Regional Events in the
    spring and fall, in attempt to accommodate those members who would
    prefer different months for their yearly gatherings. Maybe one of
    these would work better for you? This year we have a gathering in
    Cedar City, Utah in late September, and one in Tomah, Wisconsin on the
    last weekend of September.

Other considerations that we must take into account would be that we do
    not want to conflict with our Chartered Club rallies, and that our
    volunteer workforce may not be available during alternative dates.

Thank you again. I hope this helps to explain how and why we remain in July.
    Just because the answer is not what you want it to be, does not mean that the board isn't listening.
    so there's the answer in a nut shell. might just as well close/lock this thread then as everyone, myself included, who commented about moving the rally dates should be satisfied that the board has addressed this issue in it's entirety.

although this does answer any questions I may have, beware that the writing is on the wall, the only question that remains is whether you choose to see it or not.

so, now that we have gotten this all squared away and settled i would like to know how many people (teachers & school kids included) were treated for dehydration and or heat stroke at this years rally. i am sure the volunteers at the first aid station did an admirable job and should be commended, but out of the roughly 6800 rally attendees what percentage succumbed to some type of heat related illness.
    Last edited by nytrashman; 07-25-2011 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nytrashman View Post
    what harm is there in trying to have the national in the fall next year, perhaps even alternating the month the rally is held each year. by doing that it will be pretty obvious by the attendance and member feedback which time of the year the members prefer our rally to be held.
    i guess the harm is the risk we would face to the revenue that keeps the member benefits flowing. a financially unsuccessful rally is pretty painful for us.

however.... i sure would like to see some focus group research, as well as some more broad-based research, to see if this idea is feasible.

i know of one of the most perfect rally sites ever, except everyone will say **TOO HOT** and discount it out of hand.

but interestingly, it's actually the same temp there this week than it is here in the "north."

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

The ralls greaty i

Yes, it is July. Yes, it is hot. But that is the luck of the draw. If we had been here last week, the temps would have been in the 70s and not the 90s.

Did that whine come with your BMW?
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post

Thanks for advancing the discussion in such a constructive manner.

Yes, there is a bit of luck involved. But sticking with July means that there are some pretty interesting places (like Texas, Arizona, etc) that will never see a national.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    Yes, it is July. Yes, it is hot. But that is the luck of the draw. If we had been here last week, the temps would have been in the 70s and not the 90s.

The international rally is just one big commercialized event and when you seen one you seen 'em all, imo. I enjoy attending air head tech sessions much more than MOA organized events. They focus on camaraderie, good food and airhead beemers and to me that is what it is all about. So having said that about the international rally add the weather factor in and as far as I am concerned fugetaboutit. If the rally is held in Oregon, Washington, Idaho or Montana then have it in July but for the rest of this country do it in the fall. I am 67 and while that isn't ancient the thought of droning across this country in July on a motorcycle to swelter in a beer tent just doesn't get it no way no how.

We (wife and I) attended last years rally in Redmond only because we live in Oregon otherwise we wouldn't bother. If it weren't for the magazine I wouldn't waste my money on the MOA and here lately even the magazine is becoming less appealing. Again, imo. For me BMW lost its appeal when the company strayed very far from its roots that being to build a simple light weight reliable machine that is easy to maintain for its owners.

There, I feel better for having said all that as I sit in my Oregon home where the inside temp is a pleasant 66 un-airconditioned degrees.
    Jammess

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I'm sitting here in an airconditioned dorm in Bloomsburg only because I pre-registered long ago and prepaid for the dorm. I suffered through temperatures as high as 104 on the ride here yesterday. It's supposed to be 99 tomorrow with a heat index of 110. I'm not going to lock myself in by pre-registering and pre-paying for a room again. I'm to old to expose myself to the dangers of heat. This may be my last July rally. Today is cool with a current temperature of 96 with a heat index of 104.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

GSCOOKEMNSTER
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I'm sitting here in an airconditioned dorm in Bloomsburg only because I pre-registered long ago and prepaid for the dorm. I suffered through temperatures as high as 104 on the ride here yesterday. It's supposed to be 99 tomorrow with a heat index of 110. I'm not going to lock myself in by pre-registering and pre-paying for a room again. I'm to old to expose myself to the dangers of heat. This may be my last July rally. Today is cool with a current temperature of 96 with a heat index of 104.
    Yup, this is why I never pre-reg for the rally. I've reserved hotel rooms to some rallys, but I always check into their cancel policy. I want to be able to make the call last minute with no cost to me. I don't mind rain or cold mornings, but high heat is just too much to endure riding in.