Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: moving the rally to the spring or fall

moving the rally to the spring or fall

i know this topic has been discussed before but given the high temps this week in PA i am wondering what it would take for the powers that be in the MOA to move the national rally to either the spring or the fall. by keeping the national rally in mid July there are certain parts of the country (Arizona, Nevada, southern California, Texas etc.) that are excluded from the rotation just because of there climate in mid July. lets all be honest here, how many really like riding day in and day out in 90 + degree weather only to get to the rally and find that the night time temps & humidity don't offer any relief to those that choose to camp on site. what harm is there in trying to have the national in the fall next year, perhaps even alternating the month the rally is held each year. by doing that it will be pretty obvious by the attendance and member feedback which time of the year the members prefer our rally to be held. if i am out of line by suggesting changing the rally to a different time of year then i apologize, but given the fact that upwards of 10,000 riders will be on the road in 90 + temps it only figures there will be a significant number that will succumb to dehydration or heat stroke. perhaps if the first aid tent was filled to capacity with dehydrated riders for the entire rally it might dawn on the executive committee that mid July might not be the best time to hold our national rally.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I was gonna ride there on Friday, but with forecast of 96-100 in Boston, I'm gonna pass.

Hope all that make the effort to get there have a good time and stay hydrated!
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Moondog
    Amen brother. Too damn hot to be on a bike or try and sleep in heat like this. One vote from me to move it to different time of year, especially if they hold it in Vermont again during the fall foliage. What more could one ask for?

BMWMOA, change ?

I can't be done.

Because, thats why.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by widebmw View Post
    BMWMOA, change ?

It can't be done.

Because, thats why.

Yeah, that seems to be the standard response. To be fair, one of the reasons the MOA Rally has such a great selection of vendors is the standard timing lets them plan ahead. But there are parts of the country I'd love to see. Just not in summer...

I was really hoping to check them out as I've been saving up for a shopping spree, but I just can't subject my trusty canine sidecar companion to conditions like this, so will reluctantly pass.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Early May would be good, early in the season. The #4 post has the explanation for not changing it.

Moondog
    Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    Yeah, that seems to be the standard response. To be fair, one of the reasons the MOA Rally has such a great selection of vendors is the standard timing lets them plan ahead. But there are parts of the country I'd love to see. Just not in summer...

I was really hoping to check them out as I've been saving up for a shopping spree, but I just can't subject my trusty canine sidecar companion to conditions like this, so will reluctantly pass.
    Too hot in Vermont? Say it ain't so...!

Quote Originally Posted by nytrashman View Post
    what harm is there in trying to have the national in the fall next year, perhaps even alternating the month the rally is held each year. by doing that it will be pretty obvious by the attendance and member feedback which time of the year the members prefer our rally to be held.
    i guess the harm is the risk we would face to the revenue that keeps the member benefits flowing. a financially unsuccessful rally is pretty painful for us.

however.... i sure would like to see some focus group research, as well as some more broad-based research, to see if this idea is feasible.

i know of one of the most perfect rally sites ever, except everyone will say **TOO HOT** and discount it out of hand.

but interestingly, it's actually the same temp there this week than it is here in the "north."

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

The ralls greaty i

Yes, it is July. Yes, it is hot. But that is the luck of the draw. If we had been here last week, the temps would have been in the 70s and not the 90s.

Did that whine come with your BMW?
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

i guess the harm is the risk we would face to the revenue that keeps the member benefits flowing. a financially unsuccessful rally is pretty painful for us.
    i agree that a financially unsuccessful rally puts a strain on the operating budget but to dismiss the idea of holding the rally at a different time of year based on the above statement is the main problem with the MOA, there afraid of change.

look at the success Color in the Catskills has. it is held in the fall (think fall foliage rides) in upstate NY and from the beginning it was a huge success.

if the MOA wants to grow and thrive in the coming years then change in inevitable, and to me that means moving the rally to a different time of the year as well as finding ways to attract new and younger members.

i am sure the idea of changing the rally dates to a more rider friendly month offends some of the old school MOA members but i doubt these members would stay away from the national based solely on what time of the year this event is held.

same goes for the vendors, i highly doubt any vendors would stay away from the BMW MOA national rally based on what month is it held. they know we are all there to not only ride and meet old friends but to spend money, and that money can be spent in Oct. just as easily as in July.

no, that came from Touratech, although it was originally on back order it arrived just in time for the hot, humid weather that has engulfed the NE this past week.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post

Thanks for advancing the discussion in such a constructive manner.

Yes, there is a bit of luck involved. But sticking with July means that there are some pretty interesting places (like Texas, Arizona, etc) that will never see a national.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

How many could not make the rally if it was ran when school was in session? Rather they are teachers or just parents this could be an issue.

I suspect you would find some that would complain if you had the rally in the spring or fall and the night time temperatures dropped into the 50's or 60's. Last time I checked you can't please every one.

Roy
    Roy G.
    85 K100RT Ol Ruby "Gone but not forgotten"

02 K1200LTC Hoss

GSCOOKEMNSTER
    I had planned to attend, but when the weather report came out Monday that it was going to be in the upper 90's in PA and all the NE, I decided to stay home. Nothing at the rally is worth riding all day in this heat.

I think Sept is the perfect time to ride, cool in the north and at least moderate along the middle belt of the country. I know this has been discussed before, and this thing about parents and teachers not being able to attend gets brought up. Yet, the nationals I've been to are attended by mostly a bunch of over-the-hill guys.

The weather does change week to week, and last week in PA I hear was better, but statistically mid-July to mid-Aug is the hottest time of the year. I guess I'll get my next chance to attend a national in about 4 years when it cycles around to this part of the country.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    It will be interesting to see what the attendance is considering the NWS excessive heat warning now in effect.

Excessive Heat Warning
    URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA
    400 AM EDT THU JUL 21 2011

...DANGEROUS HEAT WAVE TO IMPACT MUCH OF CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA
    TODAY AND FRIDAY...

PAZ027-028-036-045-046-049>053-056>059-063>066-220000-
    /O.CON.KCTP.EH.W.0001.110721T1600Z-110722T0000Z/
    /O.CON.KCTP.EH.W.0002.110722T1600Z-110723T0000Z/
    MIFFLIN-JUNIATA-FRANKLIN-SOUTHERN CLINTON-SOUTHERN LYCOMING-UNION-
    SNYDER-MONTOUR-NORTHUMBERLAND-COLUMBIA-PERRY-DAUPHIN-SCHUYLKILL-
    LEBANON-CUMBERLAND-ADAMS-YORK-LANCASTER-
    INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...LEWISTOWN...MIFFLINTOWN...
    CHAMBERSBURG...LOCK HAVEN...WILLIAMSPORT...LEWISBURG...
    SELINSGROVE...DANVILLE...SUNBURY...SHAMOKIN...BLOO MSBURG...
    BERWICK...NEWPORT...HARRISBURG...HERSHEY...POTTSVI LLE...LEBANON...
    CARLISLE...GETTYSBURG...YORK...LANCASTER
    400 AM EDT THU JUL 21 2011

...EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO
    8 PM EDT THIS EVENING...
    ...EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TO 8 PM EDT
    FRIDAY...

AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO
    8 PM EDT THIS EVENING. AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN
    EFFECT FROM NOON TO 8 PM EDT FRIDAY.

* TEMPERATURES...MID 90S TO AROUND 100 DEGREES.

* HEAT INDEX VALUES...105 TO 110 DEGREES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE EXTRA PRECAUTIONS IF YOU WORK OR SPEND TIME OUTSIDE. WHEN
    POSSIBLE...RESCHEDULE STRENUOUS ACTIVITIES TO EARLY MORNING OR
    EVENING. KNOW THE SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF HEAT EXHAUSTION AND HEAT
    STROKE. WEAR LIGHT WEIGHT AND LOOSE FITTING CLOTHING WHEN POSSIBLE
    AND DRINK PLENTY OF WATER.

TO REDUCE RISK DURING OUTDOOR WORK...THE OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND
    HEALTH ADMINISTRATION RECOMMENDS SCHEDULING FREQUENT REST BREAKS
    IN SHADED OR AIR CONDITIONED ENVIRONMENTS. ANYONE OVERCOME BY HEAT
    SHOULD BE MOVED TO A COOL AND SHADED LOCATION. HEAT STROKE IS AN
    EMERGENCY...CALL 9 1 1.

CHILDREN AND PETS SHOULD NEVER BE LEFT UNATTENDED IN VEHICLES
    UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. THIS IS ESPECIALLY TRUE DURING HOT
    WEATHER...WHEN CAR INTERIORS CAN REACH LETHAL TEMPERATURES IN A
    MATTER OF MINUTES. RESIDENTS SHOULD CHECK UP ON ELDERLY RELATIVES
    AND NEIGHBORS...AND REMEMBER TO PROVIDE PETS WITH ADEQUATE WATER
    AND SHELTER FROM THE SUN.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)