Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Helmet speakers that sound good?

On the Road
    I'd love to be able to use in helmet speakers, but I don't know how you use them and wear earplugs, which are a must for me... and then I can't hear the music.

A couple years ago I found this simple way to make custom-fit earbuds, http://boingboing.net/2010/08/27/mak...wn-custom.html. I've tried several of the commercially available custom molded earphones and this works MUCH better than any of them. Plus, you can use whatever earphones you want - spend a lot for better audio quality (I've been using skull candy ink'd, $20 at Best Buy). The molding ear foam is $12 at amazin, http://www.amazon.com/Radians-Custom.../dp/B002CI4CPM.

Earbuds

Well, I have tried several types. I end up throwing the cheap ones away 'cause of poor sound or poor fit. I couldn't find any that would stay in my ear while I put helmet on.
    I have two sets of Bose earbuds ( one set is for sale BTW), I couldn't fit helmet at all.
    Latest try is a pair of Denons. They do fit rather deep into the ear, which is what I want, and they do sound OK. Helmet can be put on without pulling wires out. They do help somewhat with the noise in helmet. I read to many bad experiences of people trying to put speakers in their helmets. YMMV.

ARBMWrider

bluetooth helmet speakers

I've been using the Blueant Interphone F4 speakers with a Zumo 550 and now a Nav IV on the new bike. I consider the stereo sound to be excellent and there's plenty of volume to work through the earplugs I typically wear except on very short excursions. Would recommend the F4 based on my experience. The 550 had plenty of garmin bugs and had to have a dongle to get stereo; the Nav IV sound quality is a dream with the F4...however, I've got less than a thousand miles with the new system so the garmin bugs may show up yet....

Quote Originally Posted by rx35285 View Post
    Decent product, but they wouldn't even return an email when the mute switch on the cord failed. Yes, warranty had expired but the customer service could be better.

I found this thread while looking for replacement speakers to get away from the fancy cords required for the mic and other features.
    NO cords required, I'm bluetoothed to the Zumo and I have a full face helmet so my mic is flush mounted in the interior of the chinbar.

I found customer service to amazingly excellent!

But I called the 800 number. Sometimes email does not work well in these situations!
    "The Older I Get, the Faster I Was"
    '09 Black Metallic Sapphire "Fully Farkled" RT

Quote Originally Posted by jim rogers View Post
    i know there are a lot of folks that have had a bad experience with these guys. I am not one of them. But since the subject is speakers and not j&m corporate ... I have their speakers/mic installed in an arai profile (using their bluetooth rig). They are awesome. The fidelity is super. The system cranks out enough volume to hear quality, full stereo sound even over wind noise and earplugs. If i had my druthers, i would use bose in-ear headphones (the ie2 series). The new design keeps them in your ear with no pressure at all and, of course, the sound quality is the best around. Unfortunately, in virginia, code section 46.2-1078 says that is illegal to have any earphones (well defined) unless they are "earphones installed in helmets worn by motorcycle operators and riders and used as part of a communications system,". I figure i have a better chance of no ticket or beating a ticket by meeting at least two of the three (installed (not ear buds) and communication system (garmin instructions (one way coms) and cell phone (two way coms)). I never plan on riding two up. Since i spent 10 years as a patrol leo, i know how these folks think.

Jim r.
    ++1
    "The Older I Get, the Faster I Was"
    '09 Black Metallic Sapphire "Fully Farkled" RT

speakers

I have tried multiple speakers and IMHO, the SENA's offer the best sound quality and volume range of all the in-helmet speakers. I wear foam ear plugs and I can still hear everything - plus the foam seems to reduce the inherent "tinny" sound of such small speakers. Speaker placement is critical with these too. 1/2" off center changes the dynamics considerably. Unlike another poster, my SENA'S have been great -- reliable and so easy to use on the fly. I just got the upgrades for $49 each and the volume is even better plus they see to have fixed the buzzing problem their new ear bud base was experiencing when paired with an iPhone.

For ear buds, I use a Etymotics with the expanding foam inserts. These are the best at sound reproduction and ambient noise reduction that I know of. I am not crazy about any extra wires though so I mostly stay with the SENA's in helmet speakers.

On the Road
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSteve View Post
    I have tried multiple speakers and IMHO, the SENA's offer the best sound quality and volume range of all the in-helmet speakers. I wear foam ear plugs and I can still hear everything - plus the foam seems to reduce the inherent "tinny" sound of such small speakers. Speaker placement is critical with these too. 1/2" off center changes the dynamics considerably. Unlike another poster, my SENA'S have been great -- reliable and so easy to use on the fly. I just got the upgrades for $49 each and the volume is even better plus they see to have fixed the buzzing problem their new ear bud base was experiencing when paired with an iPhone.

For ear buds, I use a Etymotics with the expanding foam inserts. These are the best at sound reproduction and ambient noise reduction that I know of. I am not crazy about any extra wires though so I mostly stay with the SENA's in helmet speakers.
    I'm confused - are you using the sena with they etymotics (as in clamp kit for earbuds) or the smh10? thanks!

Speakers

Sorry for the confusion. I have 3 choices:

1. SENA with helmet speakers
    2. Etymotics plugged into iPhone (bypassing SENA)
    3. The new SENA base plate that would allow me to use the Etymotics through the SENA.

The 3rd option did not work for me at first since there was a persistent buzzing which, I am told, has been remedied with the SENA upgrade. I won't be able to check this until I get back to Asheville where I left the base.

On the Road
    no worries, thanks for the clarification!