Thread: Navigator III Crash... what to do?

ExMaTprinLowerAlabama

Question Navigator III Crash... what to do?

I have an 06 RT w/ the BMW Nav III and lifetime maps. Should I send it in to Garmin for a flat rate $200 repair or replace it with the new and improved 660/665?

ExMaTprinLowerAlabama
    Not one reply...nada? Are we getting a bit cliquie here... or is everyone just on there way to the rally? The AMA discount is no longer available with Garmin so I'd be paying close to list price. But I don't like to throw more money at old technology... heck the Nav3 doesn't even change time zones on its own! But then again, the mount is already in place and I've paid for lifetime maps...

You've hit the key points. You already have lifetime maps and it is only $200 to replace. But yes, the 660/665 are better than the old 550/Nav III.

I just had a friend send his zumo 550 in for the flat rate repair and they didn't have any refurb units to ship back out to him so they sent him a 660 instead. I don't know if that if a permanent situation or whether they will eventually get some working 550's ready for the flat rate repair again. Something you might check into. Might get an upgrade out of it.
    Rusty
    Austin, TX
    Two Wheeled Texans
    2009 R1200GSA

The Lifetime maps are for that unit only.

Quote Originally Posted by widebmw View Post
    The Lifetime maps are for that unit only.
    If you return the unit to Garmin for their fix price repair, they will transfer the lifetime subscription over to the replacement unit they send you. You just can't transfer it to another unit you buy outright.
    Rusty
    Austin, TX
    Two Wheeled Texans
    2009 R1200GSA