Thread: ON Product Reviews

ON Product Reviews

Having just read one of the product reviews for a pair of gloves (June 2011 - P 107), one thing is for certain, a series of check lists should be drawn up for the various products being tested.

I just bought a pair of summer gloves (Tourmaster Dri-Mesh) before heading out to the Alps for 6 weeks of touring; I had a chance to really test them.

As is the case with all lined motorcycle gloves that I have bought over the years, the liners pull out when your hands are damp/wet due to perspiration or rain. Ever try to get your fingers where they belong when that happens and doesn't it at the most inopportune time...at a toll booth with a string of cars behind you?

Motorcycle glove manufacturers have no business being in the motorcycle glove business if the liners aren't sewn to stay where they belong...in the glove. Period!!!

That important aspect wasn't even mentioned in the ON Product Review. But it was in the Aug '11 issue of RoadRUNNER - Held Warm 'n Dry glove review.

BTW, the Dri-Mesh gloves are nice and comfortable, but hardly waterproof, but then how many really are.

I tend to agree Alex. After going through several different summer-weight gloves I now just ride with generic "mechanics" gloves.

These are made by Majestic; Model 2149, $11.95

Mesh-back deerskin, Totally flexible right off the shelf.

Waterproof? Nah.. .
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    a series of check lists should be drawn up for the various products being tested.
    If they can't even get to press with an issue free of spelling & grammar errors (which is eminently controllable, editorially speaking), how on earth do you think they'd implement this kind of thing across the wide variety of people that submit product review articles?

Reviews are one person's take on a product. Take what you can from them, but no matter what, your personal experience with a product is the only thing that really matters.
    --
    - '05 R1200GS - '98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by chiba13 View Post
    If they can't even get to press with an issue free of spelling & grammar errors (which is eminently controllable, editorially speaking), how on earth do you think they'd implement this kind of thing across the wide variety of people that submit product review articles?

Reviews are one person's take on a product. Take what you can from them, but no matter what, your personal experience with a product is the only thing that really matters.
    As for your first paragraph of comments, let's keep a few things in mind - this is a 'club publication' - not National Geographic. I'm sure all who submit a story, article or review take pride in their efforts and strive for perfection. Mistakes still occur, but the intent to minimize is always present. Secondly, any member is welcome to contribute material to ON. Ergo, with 35,000 potential writers, I agree with you - across the board conformity may be difficult, though Mary Baker has released a comprehensive outline of grammatical expectations to potential contributors and it is very helpful.

As for you second paragraph, I totally agree. As someone who has contributed a product review more than once, I am still just a member with delusions of journalistic talent, trying to be objective and informative, but the final decision for a purchase should rest with the individual consumer.

Ride well and often!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Quote Originally Posted by chiba13 View Post
    Reviews are one person's take on a product.
    Exactly! Lets only hope it isn't a trumpet blowing session for a product that can actually do damage to your motorcycle. The Colortune comes to mind.

I guess I won't waste my time reading them anymore. One has to have analytical skills to write up good reports. A glove lining pulling out is an important aspect of any glove and should be mentioned whether they do or not.