Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: BMWMOA Not Very Attractive to Some

There were some excellent S1000RR boards already very active before this sub-forum was started. In fact they were popular long before the RR ever arrived in the US, and you did not have to pay dues to a club to use them. At least one of them was rumored to have some mildly helpful relationship with BMWNA.

BTW I am 58 and I owned an RR for 15 months. It undid decades of trying to learn to ride in a safe and law abiding manner. I sold it before I ended up in jail or the hospital. Awesome machine.

i spent some time talking to this member out in Oregon last year. He was from Baker, OR (east end of the state) and said he was having a great time.

if we could only get some S1000RR riders to come to a rally, i think they'd enjoy themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    i spent some time talking to this member out in Oregon last year. He was from Baker, OR (east end of the state) and said he was having a great time.

if we could only get some S1000RR riders to come to a rally, i think they'd enjoy themselves.
    I saw a production of Pagliacci years ago when I went to Europe the first time. I went with some friends that I was traveling with. To my surprise I really did enjoy it even though I didn't understand a word. I have been to a few more but not many. Pagliacci is a fond memory from that trip; however, if opera were all Europe had to offer I doubt I would have gone back so many times.

Went to my first rally when I was roughly the same age (in BMW MOA member years). Had a great time. Went to another. Regardless of the grumbling before and after the association puts on a great rally. I heartily agree that if they went to the rally the S1000RR riders would enjoy themselves. However, I have to wonder if everything we have to offer as an association boils down to the rally and attending it as the ultimate in membership experience how many RR riders would ever show.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Wierd and ugly;

Most younger folk say this about BMWs, all through my BMW life. "Different" would be another word I've heard. German bikes used to be an engineering phenom, way back, bikes with lengendary longevity and miles. Much moreso than attracting youth, so to speak. Its changed slightly, an understatement. All the bikes today have longer lives, so BMW searches for another niche. 10-20 years will tell a huge story as to BMWMOA still being alive, as todays members grow into old age. ME, I ride to 80 and beyond 90+. Our avg. member age should become interesting!. And, my younger family IS riding BMWs, in there 20s....

From MARS
    Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    Went to my first rally when I was roughly the same age (in BMW MOA member years). Had a great time. Went to another. Regardless of the grumbling before and after the association puts on a great rally. I heartily agree that if they went to the rally the S1000RR riders would enjoy themselves. However, I have to wonder if everything we have to offer as an association boils down to the rally and attending it as the ultimate in membership experience how many RR riders would ever show.
    My guess is that any S1000RR riders that attend the rally are going to be locals. I don't think owners of this bike are going to ride them across the country to attend a rally. The MOA and BMW marketing dept are on diverging paths.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    However, I have to wonder if everything we have to offer as an association boils down to the rally and attending it as the ultimate in membership experience how many RR riders would ever show.
    no... the rally is just the gateway drug.

Quote Originally Posted by From MARS View Post
    My guess is that any S1000RR riders that attend the rally are going to be locals. I don't think owners of this bike are going to ride them across the country to attend a rally.
    maybe... it might depend on what incentives are in place and how well we reach out to these riders. (or, trailer-ers as the case may be...)

i heard it said by a BMW official that the reason the S1000 riders don't ride to rallies is that the bike is too uncomfortable to ride more than 100 miles...

Quote Originally Posted by From MARS View Post
    My guess is that any S1000RR riders that attend the rally are going to be locals. I don't think owners of this bike are going to ride them across the country to attend a rally. The MOA and BMW marketing dept are on diverging paths.Tom
    We are on the same path when it comes to the traditional BMW market. The difference is BMW has found a way to remain committed to serving those markets while expanding into others. For all our window dressing I am not certain we are really interested/able in expanding our market/customer base.

no... the rally is just the gateway drug.
    Politically they may not agree with Nancy but when it comes to rallies many sport riders do and ...

maybe... it might depend on what incentives are in place and how well we reach out to these riders. (or, trailer-ers as the case may be...)

i heard it said by a BMW official that the reason the S1000 riders don't ride to rallies is that the bike is too uncomfortable to ride more than 100 miles...
    I can't agree with you more when you pitch doing market research to find out what BMW owners in these new to us market segments are interested in and would like to have in an organization like ours. Without actually talking with them in a market research manner I couldn't disagree more more.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Interesting. I hit the 600-mile-time-for-service-mark in two rides on my RR.

Not So . . . . .

I can easily do 200-300 mile days on mine. Seat is more comfy than R100RT. Once wrists are conditioned to forward riding I am good to go.
    The bike would look silly with panniers. I have a BMW tailbag that looks and works great. Too small to travel.
    I am a teacher and the kids think the bike is cool. They think I am cool too!
    Campbell Tellman II
    '93 R100RT
    '11 S1000RR

Worry is wasted

Seems that BMW is satisfied with their place in the motorcycle world. I still lust for some cool BMW t-shirts, hats, and other gear with the BMW logo. Go in any Harley dealer and you can find everything from leather jackets to toilet seats with their logo. BMW is more protective than a first-time mother at a Raiders vs. 49'ers football game when it comes to their logo and trademark.

If they're happy being in 7th place with 1% of US sales vs. HD at 1st place with 28% (http://knol.google.com/k/the-u-s-motorcycle-market#), I'm not losing sleep over it.
    Piperjim

'95 R1100RS
    '61 John Deere 3010 LP

As I was cleaning out a closet, I found an old (2007-era) BMW sticker sheet with 4 cartoon motorcycles: F800 Stuntwars champion, HP2 enduro Baja 500 top 5 finisher, K12S Bonneville Landspeed Record, R1200S Daytona MotoST winner.

Do rich old guys like or need cartoon stickers? Generally no, but their kids or grandkids do. Seems like BMW was planting a seed now that I look at the sheet from 4 years ago and reflect on all that's happened in that time.

Sometimes trying something new, or different than what is traditional is hard to accept. It becomes easier to criticize and attack then reach out and understand.

Sadly, those who do try something new, usually are the ones attacked and criticized and therefore do not try again. Even if their ideas are what is needed for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
    I have no numbers to back up my opinion, but I'd be willing to bet the average age of a S1000RR rider is still far greater than the average age of a GSXR/ZX/whatever rider. As such, why would you expect a sudden wave of "young" RR riders to take the step to join the MOA and the bigger step to devote time to the admittedly-dead MOA forums?

Additionally, I know of NO S1000RR riders who are remotely near my age. Of the people who are near my age and on a BMW, it's 9 times out of 10 an airhead. Of the people who are near my age on a motorcycle, 99 times out of 100, it's not on a BMW.

BMW's are rich old guy bikes. That's what the numbers say. That's the way it's been for BMW for ~88 years, and the MOA ~39 years. Sounds like it's working out for both organizations thus far.

Wow.

Hey, not to hijack the thread, but did you graduate from college, yet? You seemed to be on a good path, but I haven't seen any posts for a while. I'm just curious and hoping that it's all working out.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
    Additionally, I know of NO S1000RR riders who are remotely near my age.
    Nathan - go to an AMA Pro Drag race and have your eyes opened.

unless you've done the research, this is an opinion. i've had some conversations with others that are knowledgeable about this segment and their opinions are different than yours. in candor, some of these people are black, and the S1000RR is very appealing to this community. i've hung out with these folks a bit and they are very very different in how they interact with each other and with their bike.

for sure, when you strip away everything but the person, there are joiners and there are loners.

the questions i have are:

- if a joiner, what type of club are you interested in joining (e.g. only sportbikes but of all types, all types of bikes in a marque, only sportbikes of the marque... etc.)

- what are the dimensions of the discussion (riding, tuning, racing, other tech... or social, or stunting, or gang banging... ha, those last two would be us, eh?)

- how could a club expand your enjoyment of ownership and riding
    .... and others. we should be doing research into this segment.

ian
    I've had to anlayze areas for mishap research and surprisingly the same attitudes, just differernt genres of motorcycles, was very glaring.