Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: BMWMOA Not Very Attractive to Some

Internet...what's that???
    It's funny to see this post - I enjoy the MOA because it isn't the sharky community like the SoCal sportbike scene I was out and about in during my 30's/ZX11 years. At 48 I prefer the relaxed nature of MOA GTG's and low-keyness, and also prefer my sportbiking to be with very small groups now, and the competition muted. It really cuts down on the accident factor and plastic litter on interesting roads.

However, when the MOA sent me their survey, I replied with a very detailed list of reasons gathered from my 24 year old son and his buddies. Here's what they want:

1.) To meet gals their age that ride..don't we all?
    2.) To meet gals...

3.) They thought the bigger MOA events were good, but wanted these types of events locally and lower cost; IOW more local clubs doing stuff. Since they mostly ride sportbikes, a 500 mile + trip is more or less out of the question. Never stopped me but this is the XBox generation.

4.) Money for them is a big concern and although brand cost for a BMW is an issue, maintenance cost is too.

His BMW pick was an F800ST but we couldn't find a nice used one that wasn't lowered, so he ended up with an SV650. Nice bike though he would have ridden the ST more due to comfort.

Also, the younger folks do tend to be more competitive, and more inclined to take unsupported risks (riding outside the envelope, etc). I guess in the end, I think the MOA caters to the age group it caters to and that's probably a good thing.

I'll be showing up at the next local KY rally on the 1000RR just for fun though : )
    Cheers / Robert
    2010 R1200GSA (Yellow/Black)
    2000 Suzuki TL1000S
    2012 S1000RR

Having stunt bikes at the Nationals is a quantum leap into the late twentieth century by MOA and BMWNA. I never thought I would live long enough to see that at an MOA Rally, and I sure enjoy it. Maybe having a non-geezer band at the beer tent might help as well. Leave the nostalgia cover bands and country bands on the main stage playing to the main crowd.
    Last edited by 39520; 03-14-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robert.bantly View Post
    I'll be showing up at the next local KY rally on the 1000RR just for fun though : )
    just curious, but what exactly is a KY rally? Anything like a Vaseline rally?
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

That's a slippery slope...

Internet...what's that???

re: Bikerfish

If you show up at a rally in K entuck Y....

you might just hear banjo music!!!!!
    Cheers / Robert
    2010 R1200GSA (Yellow/Black)
    2000 Suzuki TL1000S
    2012 S1000RR

In the middle

I joined the MOA right before ordering my S1RR in '09. I was 41.
    I keep hearing about members that have been around for 20+, even 30+ years....they didn't join when they were 50, so youngin's have been members fer quite some time.
    I do spend a lot more time on another forum site where the smart-ass youngin's provide most of my on-line moto-tainment. But my membership here isn't in jeopardy. When I need that pure BMW mainline hit, I come here to get it. It's just different flavors...

LONG LIVE THE MOA!
    If you can't go fast with 100hp, you can't go fast with 200hp.

Quote Originally Posted by robert.bantly View Post
    It's funny to see this post - I enjoy the MOA because it isn't the sharky community like the SoCal sportbike scene I was out and about in during my 30's/ZX11 years. At 48 I prefer the relaxed nature of MOA GTG's and low-keyness, and also prefer my sportbiking to be with very small groups now, and the competition muted. It really cuts down on the accident factor and plastic litter on interesting roads.

However, when the MOA sent me their survey, I replied with a very detailed list of reasons gathered from my 24 year old son and his buddies. Here's what they want:

1.) To meet gals their age that ride..don't we all?
    2.) To meet gals...

3.) They thought the bigger MOA events were good, but wanted these types of events locally and lower cost; IOW more local clubs doing stuff. Since they mostly ride sportbikes, a 500 mile + trip is more or less out of the question. Never stopped me but this is the XBox generation.

4.) Money for them is a big concern and although brand cost for a BMW is an issue, maintenance cost is too.

His BMW pick was an F800ST but we couldn't find a nice used one that wasn't lowered, so he ended up with an SV650. Nice bike though he would have ridden the ST more due to comfort.

Also, the younger folks do tend to be more competitive, and more inclined to take unsupported risks (riding outside the envelope, etc). I guess in the end, I think the MOA caters to the age group it caters to and that's probably a good thing.

Those views were incorporated into the GT Giant format of events. The program was designed to bring our members together with an activity to do before and during the rally (Giant Trip), then at the rally, the competition gymkhana (Giant Track competition) with a professional rider to bring out the competitor in us all. Finally, the Saturday morning "Coffee with..." session will bring all the Giants together to talk and discuss what they learned and how it impacted them and what to do for the future.

Maybe this tactic could be tried: Any bike is accepted, yes we do swear by the blue/white roundel, but any brand is accepted in our fold.

I had two kids walk up to the 450 in Bloomsburg, and they said the same things. Now if I can let the wife believe a RR is a worthwhile investment with our other 3 track bikes...