Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Class Action Lawsuit Against BMW NA

re: "By the way has someone been holding a gun to your head to force you to buy/own a BMW?? "
    "
    brilliant
    Last edited by f14rio; 07-14-2011 at 08:44 PM.
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by f14rio View Post
    "By the way has someone been holding a gun to your head to force you to buy/own a BMW?? "
    "
    brilliant
    That ranks right up there with "Nah nah na-poo poo" on the top ten list of useless rationalizations.

Though someone obviously made a choice to invest in a particular marquee, once those dollars have been laid out, there are reasonable owner expectations of performance, reliability, disclosure and resolution that comes with that investment. That partnership applies to any brand motorcycle.

BMW is hemoraghing respect, and they would be wise to pay attention.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Full timr RV'er, where we park is home. No fixed address or location.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    You probably won't get their attention until they start to hemorrhage money.
    DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
    Author Unknown

"For the first three months of this year, BMW Motorrad sold 23,109 motorcycles ÔÇö an increase of 10.9% compared to the previous year ÔÇö which is its best quarterly result in its history." -- BMW Motorcycle Magazine

"BMW released their June sales figures which show an increase of 2.1% in BMW motorcycles sales. Adding the 11,831 June total (up from 11,584 last year), BMW Motorrad saw their best ever first half of the year in sales. BMW Motorrad sold 60,580 vehicles through June of 2011." -- BMW Motorcycle Magazine

But that's world wide. Perhaps they are only in trouble in the US.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post

"For the first three months of this year, BMW Motorrad sold 23,109 motorcycles — an increase of 10.9% compared to the previous year — which is its best quarterly result in its history." -- BMW Motorcycle Magazine

"BMW released their June sales figures which show an increase of 2.1% in BMW motorcycles sales. Adding the 11,831 June total (up from 11,584 last year), BMW Motorrad saw their best ever first half of the year in sales. BMW Motorrad sold 60,580 vehicles through June of 2011." -- BMW Motorcycle Magazine

But that's world wide. Perhaps they are only in trouble in the US.
    Ahhhh ..... statistics. Most of those 'impressive' figures are the rebound from a depressing previous sales year.

How is our dealer-network doing here in the US?!

How much recitivism is occurring?!

Often more reliable benchmarks of gauging the motorcycle industry.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Motor31 View Post
    You probably won't get their attention until they start to hemorrhage money.
    You're probably right.

Motorradfahrer
    Quote Originally Posted by brewmeister View Post
    Its just that the whinning is getting a little LOUD! IF its made by a flawed man it will be flawed to some extent.

That is why I have a spare transmition and a rear drive unit sitting in my garage for my 11rt 96 right next to a r100rt beauty. I'm over it now continue please.
    These machines are still more fun than the competion
    Remember the cheapest part on a beemer is the driver.
    Whining? Flawed? I have a pitching arm too if you want to start throwing stones.

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Let's say they thought about it but didn't want to admit their previous mistake and go back to the original mechanical float.

Sorry all you 2011RT drivers. No floating for you!

Jack

What is the cause of action? A number of different issues are mentioned in the post. They may have been experienced by a number of owners, but do they rise to the level of an actionable case. But then some people file lawsuits even without an actionable claim.

Once filed you have to get the court to designate it for class action which involves a number of additional hurdles. Is there a class, how do you identify it?

If you manage to get this far, the attorney's fees have just begun. You will have countless motions, counter motions, discovery issues with possibly hundreds or thousands of plaintiffs to deal with.

If you survive the motion and discovery process they you get to the trial. What will the court of jury do with the case? And getting the case to trial doesn't mean you'll get a verdict. Look at what happened to Roger today.

And if you get a verdict what will it be. Remember the famous case of Dr Wladislaw Dering V. Leon Uris (QB 7) involving the novel Exodus. The doctor won the libel case, but only got a half-penny in damages and was then was ordered to pay ?ú20,000 in court costs.

Class actions have been won in the past and will be won in the future, but you really have to be willing to ..."Go the distance."

Easy

3-1 You have to love it!!! Go USA!!!

Let's say they thought about it but didn't want to admit their previous mistake and go back to the original mechanical float.

Sorry all you 2011RT drivers. No floating for you!

Jack
    Uh, post #32 & 44 say otherwise

Oh, and I am still not suing anybody, I do have a great set of used Firestone tires off my 91 Exploder if anyones interested
    Last edited by henzilla; 07-15-2011 at 03:41 AM.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Ahhhh ..... statistics. Most of those 'impressive' figures are the rebound from a depressing previous sales year.
    The "best quarterly result in its history" comment pertained to number of motorcycles sold, not earnings. And it was most units sold, not "the highest percentage gain". In the first half of this year BMW sold 60,580 motorcycles. That again is more than they've ever sold the first half of any year. Kind of hard to reconcile that with "hemoraghing respect".

Jack Herbst
    That ranks right up there with "Nah nah na-poo poo" on the top ten list of useless rationalizations.

Though someone obviously made a choice to invest in a particular marquee, once those dollars have been laid out, there are reasonable owner expectations of performance, reliability, disclosure and resolution that comes with that investment. That partnership applies to any brand motorcycle.

Thank you Greenwald. I could have not said it better--at least not as nice!

Jack

Jack Herbst

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post

Uh, post #32 & 44 say otherwise

Oh, and I am still not suing anybody, I do have a great set of used Firestone tires off my 91 Exploder if anyones interested
    Damn, there I go beleiving my sales person again! Well I guess if that is correct they are admitting the strips were an error, right?

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 07-15-2011 at 04:45 AM. Reason: addition

Motorradfahrer
    Sales numbers increasing does not mean customers are all happy and satisfied. Much of the increase in sales has been the RR as many dealers will tell you. BMW has done a good idea of advertising and bringing new bikes to the market that attract a younger owner. Why the younger owner? To bring them to the brand in hopes they become loyal and stay with the brand. Loyalty is a two way street. BMW bringing them in and keeping them is two very different things. It is not like the issues mentioned in this thread are on the national news like a Toyota story and scaring the consumer off before a purchase. These are owner experience issues and JD Power has not contacted any of you to ask your opinions on owning your BMW have they? Let me answer that for you, no they have not. Let me make is clear. I love my bike. First BMW and I am tickled pink with the bike. I am not so happy with BMW NA and there lack of customer service and owner appreciation. They suck in this area. It would have been so easy to make me happy. I never imagined such a simple request would be handled in such a way. Still have not had follow up from BMW after a week. I guess dropping $20k on a new bike does not warrant any attention.

Damn, there I go beleiving my sales person again! Well I guess if that is correct they are admitting the strips were an error, right?

Jack
    It wouldn't be the first time. In 1983 they introduced the K100 with strips. They were still on the '85 models when they arrived in the US. By 1986 they had floats and continued to have floats until the K1100 and K75 were discontinued as models.

They may be slow and they may not say much but quitting doing something wrong and starting to do it differently is not beyond them. Back in the / (slash) days they continuously made product improvements and we accepted those as improvements, not admissions of grave guilt.

Exactly why we wouldn't want them to do this escapes my grasp.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves