Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: New Ride Reports forum

The Bloke

Across US route 20

Hello Everyone

Anyone any idea if there are any ride reports on here or the web on going across US Route 20 from east to west

I have found small bits of info but nothing going all the way

Thanks
    Martin Buck

Blue Ridge 1150GS Ride Video

I put up a new YouTube Video of my son and me on a 1150GS and KLR 650 ride through the mountains of North Georgia, Western North Carolina, and East Tennessee. For those going to the National Rally in Johnson City, take a look at the dirt roads and twistie pavement of this area. The Dragon, Smoky Mountains, Max Patch, and the Blue Ridge Parkway are all represented.

Go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsxnu...e=channel_page

Enjoy the video. We had a great time making it.

Talking Close calls

I rode about 1400 miles this week. Started with a day ride around Cour'd'elene Lake in northern ID. Wonderful, long curvy roads full of sweeping corners and u turns... but... I was already shaken from the night before. I was coming home on the freeway, there was some confusion in a construcion zone and the person ahead of me slammed on the brakes and swerved. My front rotars are bad, and I unfortunately went for the back break first. I locked it up and slid sideways past the car, then fish-tailed to a stop. Then, when we were going around a u-turn the next day at CDA lake, a car was completely in my lane, head on, coming around the corner, I cut to the inside, and was lucky I was NOT in a car, or I would not have fit. About 60 miles down the road, we approached a sweeping, blind corner, I slowed to about 42mph and thought I saw a dog out of the corner of my eye. It was a deer. She ran to the front left of me then tried to jump, she cleared the windshield only to have her hip and legs nail the left side of my upper body and head. Miraculously, I had leaned into her, and when she almost peeled me from the handle bars, I think I gave my bike more gas. The deer flipped off into a ditch and ran, I pulled over safely down the road. My fingers were swollen before I got my glove off, my whole left arm was on fire and my neck and shoulder hurt, but I know how lucky I am. We picked up the broken pieces of my old K-bike and continued on. The next morning, though I was a little sore, we took off for Klammath falls OR. The weather was fair and the ride went fine. The only wild life I hit was a bird and it was not as lucky as the deer. I will try to post some pics. We took I-90, then down towards Pendleton to Hwy 84, then hit Hwy 97 alll the way down. One the way home we stayed on 97 all the way to I-90. Beautiful views from above the river, and some nice curvy hwys.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by staciebug; 07-16-2009 at 11:21 PM.

Talking pics

at our first stop for the trip, notice the missing mirror and turn signal assembly, stupid deer!
    Last edited by staciebug; 07-16-2009 at 11:18 PM.

Talking maryhill museaum overlook

hello!

Talking more pics

oregon trip

Buy a lottery ticket

You were very lucky in the incidents you described. Hopefully you future rides won't be so eventful. Many more experienced riders have had worse outcomes in similar situations. you don't sound discouraged so keep riding, in my experience it is unusual to have so many close call is such a short period of time. But then I like to hang on the back-roads.

Talking I am lucky

Quote Originally Posted by 41077 View Post
    You were very lucky in the incidents you described. Hopefully you future rides won't be so eventful. Many more experienced riders have had worse outcomes in similar situations. you don't sound discouraged so keep riding, in my experience it is unusual to have so many close call is such a short period of time. But then I like to hang on the back-roads.
    Several family members who have ridden a long time are very worried about me, even though the only incident that was my fault was the first, the rest were flukes. If it weren't for the safety course, and some books I have read on riding, I might not be here. I still ride my bike 5 days a week or more. My car sits around in summer. Hopefully I have had enough close calls for this year. I know poeple who have had one close call and haven't ridden since. Good thing I am young and stubborn.

stacie,stacie,stacie,what are you doing out there..matthew

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfelton View Post
    stacie,stacie,stacie,what are you doing out there..matthew
    Only the first one was my fault... sniffle.. sniffle!!!! Did you get our new shirts yet, still waiting to pick mine up.

Id say bring your bike to my shop, lets se what you need as far as brakes, as far as the tee shirts go, shanon lives close by, matthew i think you have my number?? 509 710-0880, By fo now..

brakes

the disks on the front are both a little warped, they have a grabby spot, I can't hardly use them below 20mph, thats why I went for the back brake. I found some used brakes disks, they are for an 86 K100, does anyone know if they would fit my bike 85 K100RS?

Staciebug you might not get a response since the rally is going on at this time, you could shurley try dave hopkins at beaudrys on tuesday, or sometimes i use the parts fiche at bobs bmw, just do a year search for replacement rotors and see it the part numbers align-up....matthew

Talking

Thank you Matt, I ordered the parts on ebay, they were said to be in great condition, no warp etc. I will see you at the rally in republic if you are there, my dad's rental LT arrives this afternoon from Classic Rides. We might ride around to Harrison and St. Maries, (where I hit the deer last week) wish me luck! I still have to get one of my turn signals working though, stupid deer. Still missing a mirror too... sad

Talking ha!

Quote Originally Posted by 41077 View Post
    I buy a lotto ticket every week, no money to be had!! I just want one million, thats all. I went to the Republic Rally and managed to not hit anything, except the keg during the keg push.