Thread: K1600GT/GTL Engine Development

One Man Wolfpack Kent Niederhofer's Avatar

K1600GT/GTL Engine Development

The article that follows chronicles the development of the K1600GT/GTL engine by UK-based technical consulting firm, Ricardo plc: http://www.ricardo.com/Documents/RQ%...RQ_Q2_2011.pdf

An earlier Ricardo Quarterly documents the development of the K1300x engines. Enjoy the reading.

Kent

Thanks, Kent, this is fascinating. We all know that BMW outsources parts and subassemblies, but the mothership is very quiet about outsourcing engineering and design. The lawyer in me was surprised that Ricardo's contract with BMW permitted them to publish this...but the rider in me was very interested to read it.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

If I did the math right, they are claiming 52.5 mpg at a constant 56 mph for the GT. That sounds close to my experience of racing one around the Colorado mountains and getting about 48 mpg. Pretty impressive for so powerful an engine.

- Kate
    '12 K1600 GT

What is it you intend to do with your one wild and precious life? - Mary Oliver

One Man Wolfpack Kent Niederhofer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    Thanks, Kent, this is fascinating. We all know that BMW outsources parts and subassemblies, but the mothership is very quiet about outsourcing engineering and design. The lawyer in me was surprised that Ricardo's contract with BMW permitted them to publish this...but the rider in me was very interested to read it.
    David,

I can assure you that the collaboration between BMW and Ricardo was exceptionally high and their "hand" was felt throughout the program. It is exceptionally challenging to develop a lightweight engine with such tremendous performance but even more so to package it in an environment as confined as a motorcycle chassis and then have it look like a work of art.

Enjoy your 1600!

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Niederhofer View Post
    Enjoy your 1600!
    Kent,

Thanks for the good wishes, but my interest is academic: I don't actually own or aspire to a K16. I'm a twin guy.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

It was interesting to note that they were developing the 6 at the same time as the 1300

Great read - thanks for the information
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator