Thread: 2 meter antennas

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar

2 meter antennas

What antennas are you folks using on the bike for 2 meters?
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Using a Diamond NR770HBNMO on my truck. Not really into going motorcycle mobile at the moment...
    Craig
    New York's Hudson Valley Region
    2009 R1200RT
    MOA #146131 IBA #55715

Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    Using a Diamond NR770HBNMO on my truck. Not really into going motorcycle mobile at the moment...
    It'll be primarily for APRS.

I've run with a 5/8 wave whip mounted low on a luggage bracket in the past, but considering other options. Will check out what they have at HRO in NH sometime early next week.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    What antennas are you folks using on the bike for 2 meters?
    Hi Tom, I am using the Yaesu AMK-1 license plate bracket with the YHA-M10 Yeasu VHF/UHF mobile antenna, Yaesu coax also. It's nice, neat and out of the way mounted to the license plate but as you would guess-a compromise. This is all hooked to that FTM-10sr we had spoke of in the past. BTW it seems the FTM-10sr has been discontinued as a AZ friend of mine got the last one AES had. HTH Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    This is all hooked to that FTM-10sr we had spoke of in the past. BTW it seems the FTM-10sr has been discontinued as a AZ friend of mine got the last one AES had. HTH Gary
    I'm trying to talk myself out of buying that new Kenwood APRS/GPS dual band HT. D72? Will also take a look at the Yaesu lic. plate mount -- it sounds interesting.

Ultimately, I suspect I'll go back to the 5/8 wave setup, but it's nice to see other options. APRS isn't all that reliable via motorcycle mobile, especially with an HT. I had better luck getting out using the higher power Kenwood radio (D700 ?) but couldn't run it with heated gear - dead battery guaranteed.

There was a ham in Maine a few years ago looking for me on the turnpike. We almost connected in Lewiston, unfortunately, I didn't see his packet message until I got home. He's a radio guy for the staties there and had an APRS laptop in his work truck. Pretty cool. I did connect with another guy up in Jackman for the same reason --APRS on the bike, just because he heard the beacon when I pulled in to get fuel. Still, pretty cool. His wife was with him and they both had calls.

Yeah, I have a Spot too.

-Tom (KA1TOX)