Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Insurance riding through Canada from USA

I should rephrase my question. What type of insurance does the Canadian government require for travelers? Liability, full coverage, etc.? Also, is an insurance card enough proof? Thanks for all the help.
    Sasan
    1993 BMW R100GS PD, 1973 BMW R75/5, 1969 BSA A65 Lighting, 1962 BMW R27, 1957 Triumph Tiger Cub, 1942 BSA M20 WWII

Quote Originally Posted by smmotorco View Post
    I should rephrase my question. What type of insurance does the Canadian government require for travelers? Liability, full coverage, etc.? Also, is an insurance card enough proof? Thanks for all the help.
    It's not the "Canadian" government, just as it's not the "American" government. As stated above, it's up to each province or state, so you've got over 60 different jurisdictions at work here.

Go to a Florida insurance broker and tell them you need insurance for the rest of the US and Canada. They should have an idea of what is necessary to satisfy all those jurisdictions and keep you legal. The usual mandatory minimum is liability, the dollar amount varying from place to place. They will then issue an insurance card which is proof of insurance.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

Quote Originally Posted by 32232 View Post
    It's not the "Canadian" government, just as it's not the "American" government. As stated above, it's up to each province or state, so you've got over 60 different jurisdictions at work here.
    Actually, in Canada, there's one card which covers the whole country. USAA just sent me a "Canada Non-Resident Inter-province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card." It has my name and city, and a description of my bike, along with an effective and expiration date. On the back it says: "This certifies that the party named herein is insured against liability for bodily injury and property damage by reason of the operation of the motor vehicle described herein, in an amount not less that the statutory minimum requirement of every province of Canada." Says it in French too.

I've been through Canada via car a few times and never had to produce the card. But then, I've never had a violation or an accident.
    John Gamel
    2008 Kalahari Beige R1200RT
    LEOSA Certified

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Actually, in Canada, there's one card which covers the whole country. USAA just sent me a "Canada Non-Resident Inter-province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card." It has my name and city, and a description of my bike, along with an effective and expiration date. On the back it says: "This certifies that the party named herein is insured against liability for bodily injury and property damage by reason of the operation of the motor vehicle described herein, in an amount not less that the statutory minimum requirement of every province of Canada." Says it in French too.

I've been through Canada via car a few times and never had to produce the card. But then, I've never had a violation or an accident.
    That's right, it says Inter-province. Motor vehicle insurance has nothing to do with the Canadian federal government. The Inter-province card meets the individual requirements of all ten provinces. Every province issues the same style card. Motor vehicle insurance remains the jurisdiction of the provinces, with every province having its own, different, mandatory coverage.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

Motorradfahrer
    I prefer to listen to the Canadian Gov on this issue

US Visitors - Your American driver's license is valid in Canada

Make sure you bring along proof of insurance by asking your insurance company for a free "Non-resident Inter-Provincial Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card" before you leave, or carry the policy itself. If you're driving a borrowed car or trailer, bring a letter of permission signed by the owner. If you're driving a rented car, carry a copy of the rental contract. ( from Canadian Gov Travel Site )

So, you need liability. The insurance company you deal with can issue said card. I have traveled there the last two years and had two different insurance companies I dealt with at the time issue the card to me for proof of insurance. Saying all that I have crossed into Canada 4 times in the last 2 years and never once had them ask for that card. If you are pulled over they may want it and if you are unlucky enough to have a mishap I am sure they will want proof of insurance.

Get it and most importantly have fun. I love travel there as the roads are good and the cars are sparse outside of the cities. Avoid Toronto and Montreal like the plague, like stay 100 miles away. If you do that life is good and the country is beautiful. I love Ottawa and especially Quebec City. Just got back from 16 day trip through Sault Ste Marie, North Bay, Ottawa, Quebec City, Saint John, PEI, Baddeck, Halifax, Sherbrooke, Peterborough and Chatham. I would go back today if I had the time off.

Certifiable User Mike_Philippens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smmotorco View Post
    I should rephrase my question. What type of insurance does the Canadian government require for travelers? Liability, full coverage, etc.?
    Liability would be enough, wouldn't it? Isn't full coverage just for you own damage when you fall down by yourself for instance? Forgive my ignorance, but I'm Dutch so I'm not fully aware of all the terminology. And since I'm planning a road trip through the US on my own bike, I'm interested in the regulations regarding insurance.
    -=- if you always see the road ahead of you, it's not worth the trip -=-

Full timr RV'er, where we park is home. No fixed address or location.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    I understand that Federal interstate commerce regulations allow uninsured motorists from states that don't require insurance to drive in states that do. Having said that, operating a vehicle without liability insurance is nuts.
    I seriously doubt this. Your registration would be accepted as would your drivers license, however reciprocity does not extend to a lack of insurance.
    DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
    Author Unknown

Thank you for all of the information you have provided me. I didn't think there was so much to it. I will contact local insurance company to see what they say. I seriously appreciate the help though. It has given me a great starting point.
    Sasan
    1993 BMW R100GS PD, 1973 BMW R75/5, 1969 BSA A65 Lighting, 1962 BMW R27, 1957 Triumph Tiger Cub, 1942 BSA M20 WWII