Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GT on Steriods

Unhappy GT on Steriods

I've been a two-up GL rider and for the last eight years a two-up LT rider. Having finally test ridden the new GTL and reviewing its ergonomics, stowage, and accessories I believe I can accurately state this bike is no LT. Mostly, it's a GT perhaps on steriods and with a few exceptions, not seriously designed with a pillion in mind. Sure, BMW will tell you it is and point out certain aspects to try and convince you but it simply does not make muster for a Luxury Touring bike. Two-up touring is still a good sized market but a good measure of the decision making process in bike selection is influenced by the pillion herself. Raw power and cases barely able to suit one person for three days are not attractive to the pillion. Dave Swider's article in the magazine didn't really provide anything new that wasn't previously published and was done with Dave riding one up, and again, emphasized power and rider ergonomics. Maybe BMW thinks mostly single guys will buy these bikes. I don't know an LT rider that's single and that's from a club with at least 20 of them. So far, none of us are biting. We've been told in many quarters these are "only" the first BMW bikes to use this engine. We can only hope a true LT will be built with a detuned version of this power plant by say, 2014. If not, BMW has effectively taken itself out of the luxury touring market and as our LTs age and the price of new ABS modulator costs more than the appraised value of our bikes we'll be looking elsewhere for a "real" successor.

Hint to BMW: Survey the right people. Ask the riders "and" the pillions. Drop this obsession with proprietary electronics. and stop assuming you know what Americans want in luxury touring motorcycle. Thanks for listening.

PS: Dave, did you get to keep those sharp riding togs you had for the photo shoots? Wondered if you already had a Shuberth helmet with the proprietary BT system in it or if it was provided. Loved the cows along with the red, white, and black color combination.
    Bob Morrow
    Purveyor of Fine Tarmac
    Expresso Riders MOA#340

What were the pillion comments?

Also i dont think the BT is properitary as they leverage the Cardo system

My wife and I are planning to get the Schuberth/Audio set up and we wont be on a 16 - just sayin'
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Semper_Fi View Post
    What were the pillion comments?

Also i dont think the BT is properitary as they leverage the Cardo system

My wife and I are planning to get the Schuberth/Audio set up and we wont be on a 16 - just sayin'
    The BT is proprietary and has no connection whatsoever to Cardo (no pun intended).
    Steve W
    Canton, MI USA
    2012 K 1600 GT (from 8/6/2011)

Tallyho, you are correct, the GTL is not an LT replacement. It is a luxury sport tourer. Both the bike and the equipment faithfully follows recent BMW automobile design. "Luxury touring" doesn't always mean a 1978 Lincoln Town Car. Sharp-edged, powerful, high-end tech, with a healthy dose of adrenalin make for a thrilling package.

But that's just me...
    Steve W
    Canton, MI USA

Quote Originally Posted by realworld51 View Post
    The BT is proprietary and has no connection whatsoever to Cardo (no pun intended).

So i guess I am missing the point of the BT - can you elaborate I thought it was tied in with the schuberth, you add the neck collar which contains cardo guts and then pair
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Semper_Fi View Post
    So i guess I am missing the point of the BT - can you elaborate I thought it was tied in with the schuberth, you add the neck collar which contains cardo guts and then pair
    The BT system used on the K16 models will connect with limited functionality to many aftermarket BT headsets including the "neckroll" unit on Schuberth C3 helmets. However, for full functionality including use of multicontroller and ability to connect 2 headsets to the bike, only the BMW BT Communicator may be used. It is designed to fit exclusively into the Schuberth C3 helmet, but that's the only connection to Schuberth. It isn't the neckroll unit marketed by Schuberth.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by realworld51; 07-09-2011 at 01:35 PM.
    Steve W
    Canton, MI USA

The BT system used on the K16 models will connect with limited functionality to many aftermarket BT headsets including the "neckroll" unit on Schuberth C3 helmets. However, for full functionality including use of multicontroller and ability to connect 2 headsets to the bike, only the BMW BT Communicator may be used. It is designed to fit exclusively into the Schuberth C3 helmet, but that's the only connection to Schuberth. It isn't the neckroll unit marketed by Schuberth.

Hope this helps.

PERFECT!!!

Thanks for clearing this up for me
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

If it's designed to fit exclusively into the Schuberth helmet, I wonder if it's possible to fit it into other helmets. I don't believe a modular helmet can provide the protection of a 1 piece full face.

Having to spend upwards of $700 for a helmet plus what ever BMW charges for the communications gear is more of a deal breaker to me than the lack of space in the luggage or less than optimum comfort for the passenger...
    '74 Honda CB360, '77 Yamaha RD400, '83 Yamaha 650 Seca Turbo, '02 BMW K1200RS,
    '01 BMW R1100RT
    IBA #55862

Quote Originally Posted by RODNEY.ANDERSON@COX.NET View Post
    If it's designed to fit exclusively into the Schuberth helmet, I wonder if it's possible to fit it into other helmets. I don't believe a modular helmet can provide the protection of a 1 piece full face.

Having to spend upwards of $700 for a helmet plus what ever BMW charges for the communications gear is more of a deal breaker to me than the lack of space in the luggage or less than optimum comfort for the passenger...
    Everyone has different priorities and I agree about the modular helmet. I wouldn't wear anything but a high-quality full-face helmet.

I sure wouldn't let BT functionality be a deal breaker for me though. Give the aftermarket time to adjust and we'll see options other than the $1100 combo of the C3 modular helmet and BMW Communicator.
    Steve W
    Canton, MI USA

Back to the OP's point.. I understand your viewpoint, but I must say this.. I sometimes ride with a "GOLD-WING" group (Tri-State Touring Riders) and already a number of them have switched (are awaiting) to the K1600GTL.. and they are riders that are 2 up.

Some are hesistant due to the BMW parts price /repair reputation and others cause it is the "first" year of a new model, but as a whole they seemedl VERY excited to get their hands on one....
    Phil W2GE
    2010 R1200RT 2011 Husqvarna TE310 'Woods-Weapon'
    New Sweden BMW Riders
    iPhone5-> Zumo 660->SENA SMH10, Nuvi 500,

LB

Hope this helps.
    So to use the BMW BT Communicator with the Schuberth C3, do you also need the Schuberth SRC system or is it in place of the neckroll?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by larrybenitz View Post
    So to use the BMW BT Communicator with the Schuberth C3, do you also need the Schuberth SRC system or is it in place of the neckroll?

Thanks
    The BMW Communicator is a complete unit. The SRC is itself a complete unit. Use one or the other, but the SRC (neckroll) unit does not have full functionality with the bike's audio system.
    Steve W
    Canton, MI USA

Quote Originally Posted by RODNEY.ANDERSON@COX.NET View Post

Nothing to stop you from using a wired intercom and avoid this issue if a deal breaker.
    Pretend it doesn't have bluetooth.

I already have the bluetooth intercoms that work very well.

It's a bit of a moot point, since I just bought my '01 R1100RT, there won't be a new K1600 in my future any time soon, but it's just disappointing that they are trying to force a modular helmet and proprietary gear in order to make use of all of the features.
    '74 Honda CB360, '77 Yamaha RD400, '83 Yamaha 650 Seca Turbo, '02 BMW K1200RS,
    '01 BMW R1100RT
    IBA #55862

Quote Originally Posted by Tallyho View Post
    Having finally test ridden the new GTL and reviewing its ergonomics, stowage, and accessories I believe I can accurately state this bike is no LT.
    It clearly was not intended to be.