Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: First Impressions: Continental Road Attack 2 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by mclassing View Post
    * handled well.
    * had excellent grip.
    * soaked up the bumps quite nicely.
    * did not cup.

I should be more excited about these tires, but for the type of riding I do (longer trips including twisties and interstate highway), they don't wear quite long enough.
    I can say similar things about the RA2 on my R1200R, only I am at 9300 miles on the rear and getting ready to replace it with another RA2. It's started to look squared off since maybe the last 2-3k miles now with no ill effect from it as far as handling goes. The inner wear bars are just becoming exposed. However, the flat center seems thin, looks like the wires may start to show soon, no longer makes me trust the tire, and that's what bothers me the most.
    The lack of cupping is what feels good compared to the Z6 I used in the past. Cornering still feels smooth, but absorption of bumps at the rear is pretty much gone by now. The front has something close to 4k miles and still feels good. The RA2 is a better twisty road than straight slab tire, IMHO.
    Harald
    2007 R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Ridealot View Post
    Seriously, why would any manufacturer make a tire without a wear bar in the center. .
    That's my biggest complaint on the Road Attack 2. Last fall we both had to make a unplanned tire change when the cords started to show on wife's back tire. We both had 3/32" to 4/32" of thread next to the center most wear bars, but the center on the tires were toast.
    We both had about 8,000 miles on the tires, mounted on K1300S,s, but should have been removed at 7,000 miles.
    BTW, Bentonville BMW got us right in and gave us a fair deal on Pilot Road 3s.
    The PR3 has a nice center tread you can check at a glance.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I'm running Conti Road attacks on my 1200Gs and so far happy with their performance.
    As long as a tire works for the style of riding I do and I feel safe and planted I don't care how long it lasts. I never understood the posts about a tire lasting 5000 miles vs another lasting 8000 miles but it's sub par, or I should have changed it 1000 miles ago, etc... What are you guys trying to save? $20-30 bucks for what?
    2009 R1200GS LE

I just changed mine and put on another RA2. It took me about four hours including the final drive oil change. I think that has a lot to do with why I am delaying the tire change as much as I can. It's about as exciting as mowing the lawn and especially the rear is somewhat difficult to do also.
    Harald
    2007 R1200R