Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sidecar on an R90?

Thanks for the info on your track width - I'm preparing to setup my 78 R100/7 with a DMC subframe and a Sputnik car - I figured that the minimum track width would be around 48", and this will be my first sidecar, so for me, going a bit wider makes sense. At least with a wider track (within reason), one isn't so hemmed in when trying to do valve adjustments, etc.

Beautiful looking rig - I hope that mine comes out at least to something approaching that, in time.
    BMWs in my garage: 1982 R65LS, 1978 R100/7

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Sputnik is a very light side car so you will want to consider ballast as well...
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

Thanks Dave and Hank for posting dimensions, thoughts, photos...

I've always thought the space on my rig between bike and car looked wide, visually. I'd love to skinny it up. This discussion is interesting in alerting me to what visually looks right and how the width may impact ride-ability. I hope too it is helpful to the OP.

Also, I like the idea of finding a 560 and mating it to the R100S, it's lines seem to fit the 100 better. If anyone knows of a good one out there, let me know. I may not mess w/ my 562 set up at all if I find a 560.

Thanks again for the info. Very helpful.

Well, I shuffled the traffic jam a bit in the garage and was able to measure a track width on my '81 R100/Velorex 562 rig. It's only 44" (center to center). The Velorex is a light car so whoever set yours up might have left it that far out to try to keep the chair down. I can tell you, my chair is prone to flight .. .really needs ballast to ride well on right-handers. It sounds like we might have the two extremes on R100's with the Velorex 562, in terms of track width. . .this makes me want to try moving it out 2-3" or so. . .
    Dave in Vermont
    '84 R80ST
    '81 R100 hack

Wow, we have a 6-3/8" difference from Dave's set-up to mine.

My 562, although light, is not prone to flight. I can get it in the air but I have to put some effort into it. On right-handers, it usually stays on the ground unless it is empty and I make the right-hander as tight of a radius as possible. I don't carry ballast in the 'car (but the bike is set-up to run on a car battery which I have in the trunk of the car in a plastic, marine battery box--so, the battery is the only ballast in the 'car, I haven't felt the need to carry any more than that).

So, at least so far we have:

44" if you want the 'car to be "light"
    50" if you want the 'car to stay on the ground for most right-handers

On a final note, my rig does pull to the right a bit. I worked on adjusting the rigging for lean. This spring I'll check the toe. I doubt the "wide" set-up would affect pull. Any thoughts on that?