Thread: 1982 R100RT Side Stand

1982 R100RT Side Stand

Put the 82 up on the work bench so that I can better see things and I see that I have a side stand that is not a BMW OEM side stand.
    Any idea what sort of side stand it is?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rick MacPherson
    Success is Not a Destination, But a Journey.
    Accredited Motorcycle Appraiser
    1968 BSA Starfire, 1976 BMW R75/6, 2009 R1200RT

Brown, an aftermarket that in my opinion is better than the factory.

Brown stands are good.

The oem was/is a p.o.s. on the '82. When the bike leans over on it, the weight of the bike spreads the fork on he upper end of the stand where it pivots on the bracket. After a while it will break, dumping your bike in the parking lot or wherever it decides to let go. Ask me how I know this. Keep your Brown, or if you want a concourcs bike I'm sure someone here would volunteer to take it off your hands as they are n/a.

Quote Originally Posted by Krpntr View Post
    The oem was/is a p.o.s. on the '82. When the bike leans over on it, the weight of the bike spreads the fork on he upper end of the stand where it pivots on the bracket. After a while it will break, dumping your bike in the parking lot or wherever it decides to let go. Ask me how I know this. Keep your Brown, or if you want a concourcs bike I'm sure someone here would volunteer to take it off your hands as they are n/a.
    I have had that happen on my Kawasaki Concours once or twice. Know the feeling I have no issues with the side stand other I just didn't know who manufactured it or it's trade nmae
    Thank you for your input.
    Rick MacPherson

Yep. Looks like a Brown side stand. The stocker on my 82 R100 broke while I was getting off the bike at a gas station. It leaned over and pinned me against the gas pump. The back seat was loaded with camping gear making the situation worse. My wife had to jump off her K bike and save me!
    I replaced it with a Brown and have had no problems since then other than the Brown and the Reynolds ride off stand didn't like each other so I went back to the stock center stand.

N-I-C-E scissors jack Rick. Is it s "Handy" ?

BTW, I have a Brown's stand on my /5. When I'm loaded up with gear I drop it as a "safety" before I pull the bike up onto the center stand.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Grammarian no, Rider yes ISAMEMON's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krpntr View Post

The stands are still availble ay Bobs among others

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    N-I-C-E scissors jack Rick. Is it s "Handy" ?

BTW, I have a Brown's stand on my /5. When I'm loaded up with gear I drop it as a "safety" before I pull the bike up onto the center stand.
    Not sure who manufacture's them, other than it's a Princess Auto Special that without it, my back would have gone south years ago.
    Rick MacPherson