Thread: And the Starter dilema continues

And the Starter dilema continues

Original Thread...

[URL="http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54442"]

Installed the new starter and... well, it started.

Started it and ran for a minute then shut it off to get to drive way to take it for a spin. Started it again and let it idle while I got my helmet on. It cut off... Hit the starter again and something locked open. I don't know what part of the starter was still spinning when I took the key out but...

Sounded like my car starter did when it went up a few months ago. Only way to stop it was to disconnect the battery. At least I knew to do that.

So. Did my new starter kick the bucket already? Is it the relay? Or how about the starter button?

How do I go about finding the culprit?

I'm sure everybody is at the rally. Tempted to load it into a truck and hang up a sign asking for help. I am learning something new every time I get beyond my ability... but...

I am back to

I am low on funds... Have little time... Just as little knowledge...
    88 R100GS

Ummmmm..... Is that Egg??

Problem appears to be solved.

I do believe that I had the battery wire on the solenoid post touching the fin between the solenoid and the starter. I believe that I caused a short, creating a constant closed circuit weather the key was on or not and weather the relay was in or not.

I believe that I overlooked this because I was hot and tired and overlooked a simple thing because of that.

Two Good things came from this. 10 seconds after I put the bike back into the shed instead of for a ride, it started pouring rain. Second, I learned something new about how my bike works and the importance of paying attention to details (again.)

See you in Bloomsburg.

Funny what difference a day makes.
    88 R100GS