Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Final Drive Issue 2008 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    Eh? Unless the FD design has changed the big bearing is on the dry side of an oil seal. Sealed or unsealed, it isn't in the drive gear oil.
    Absolutely correct. There's a great big seal between the bearing and the oil in the FD. I'm curious too.....what did they change?

Here's a picture of some of the tools I made....sorry about the poor quality. I also made a nice puller for the wheel mount hub.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can you elaborate on the use. What's the upper right one for? The upper left one for pressing in the seal? If you care to elaborate, I'm all ears. Too bad you didn't take more photos (or maybe you did) cause it would be a cool tech section write up.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    Can you elaborate on the use. What's the upper right one for? The upper left one for pressing in the seal? If you care to elaborate, I'm all ears. Too bad you didn't take more photos (or maybe you did) cause it would be a cool tech section write up.
    The upper right tool's purpose is to securely hold the FD so it can be mounted in a bench vise. This is really nice as the FD's shape is kind of rolly polly on the bench. The upper left one is used interchangeably with the lower left tool to press the crown wheel into the bearing housing. The other use for this tool is to press the wheel mount flange onto the spline crown wheel shaft. The small aluminum drift in the middle is to GENTLY seat the main seal behind the crown wheel bearing (as I stated before....I ruined the first seal by over pressing it in with an arbor press...totally not necessary).

Yes, I should have taken more pictures. The one's I did take where not detailed enough to clearly describe the rebuild process. I was stressing to get the motorcycle back together in time for a planned trip. Suffice it to say this is not rocket science. I now have 1600 miles on the FD and it's working fine. With a little thought and the right skills these FD's can be repaired without costly visits to the local dealer.