Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Red-lining during run-in '11 R1200RT

'11 R1200RT '12F800GS BlackDenis's Avatar

Red-lining during run-in '11 R1200RT

I've packed on 1400 km in the three days I had my new 2011 1200RT. I have to wait a couple of weeks to get my first service appointment. The mechanic said try to keep it under 2000 km but to work the engine hard and red-line it.

Any comments?

Rob

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

This guy says to do it.

Everyone will tell you something different.
    2011 BMW R1200RT - 2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Limited
    2005 BMW GS (Gone)
    BMWMOA# 154903
    Danny

I've always followed the manuals break-in procedure for the first 300 miles. At that point, I run it like I own it, and plan to ride it. That generally means it gets run pretty hard.

I've never had a 'weak' engine, never had a related failure and my bikes have rarely used but very little oil after about 2,000 miles.

YMMV
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    According to my dealer:

Part of the initial service is to read the peak RPM from the computer and record of how it was driven during break in. If you red-line it before your 600 mile service, or it fails before the break-in period is up is up, you have given BMW all they need to deny your warranty claim.

My two cents:

The people who tell you to ignore the break-in guidelines are not going cover your repair bills. Manufacturers specify break-in procedures for reason and it best to follow them. You may get away with ignoring them, or you may not.

Scott
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

jduke
    +1 for what Scott says. BMW doesn't need much of an excuse to walk away from a warranty claim, don't give them a reason.

On a Ride
    +2 what Scott says. Have always followed the manual's guidelines, and have been served well by it.

But...

"The biggest factor is that engine manufacturers now use a much finer honing pattern in the cylinders than they once did. This in turn changes the break-in requirements, because as you're about to learn, the window of opportunity for achieving an exceptional ring seal is much smaller with
    newer engines than it was with the older "rough honed" engines."

With todays machining the engines need to seat rings quickly.

change your oil every 3000 miles no longer applies because the older carborated cars/bikes did not burn all the fuel and the crankcase oil would get contaminated with fuel and break down the oil. With fuel injection I change my oil every 15,000 miles.

Read the web site linked it is good info. Ride it hard!!!!!
    1974 R75/6 W Sidecar
    1989 R100GS

azrtrdr
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyTrains View Post
    According to my dealer:

Part of the initial service is to read the peak RPM from the computer and record of how it was driven during break in. If you red-line it before your 600 mile service, or it fails before the break-in period is up is up, you have given BMW all they need to deny your warranty claim.

My two cents:

The people who tell you to ignore the break-in guidelines are not going cover your repair bills. Manufacturers specify break-in procedures for reason and it best to follow them. You may get away with ignoring them, or you may not.

Scott
    1st that I have heard of this. Anyone else verify? My dealer and other BMW techs say, nonsense. But, I would like to verify as I have always redlined my BMWs when new but only after I am sure that the motor is warmed up.

And this is new!!!

Quote Originally Posted by azrtrdr View Post
    1st that I have heard of this. Anyone else verify? My dealer and other BMW techs say, nonsense. But, I would like to verify as I have always redlined my BMWs when new but only after I am sure that the motor is warmed up.
    With the New Computerized engine mangement system, I believe that a read out of All engine parameters could be read. But the statemant that BMW does this to check to see if they can void your warranty is a load of BS!!!!@

Scott be careful what you are told by the Dealer they are feeding you something not good!!!
    1974 R75/6 W Sidecar
    1989 R100GS

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    I did not say BMW will automatically void you warranty, but should a low mileage mechanical failure occur, and they think you may have abused the engine, I will bet they will look at the service data logs.

I can only speak for my dealer, but what they said during my 600 mile service was: "I need to read the computer and see if you have been nice to it". I took that to mean that if they found a reading of excessive RPM, it would be held against me should anything come up.

Scott
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

Well...

Sounds like your dealer wants to be able to keep you in line better heed there advise as they will control your destiny.

But..

I thought you bought the bike and it was yours???

Dealer should be you for the business.

Just saying but I guess Mother BMW has got you
    1974 R75/6 W Sidecar
    1989 R100GS

JT_R1200RT
    2009 RT, I rode it like a stole it...

I don't have vibration issues, the bike is smooth and sweet

After 600miles don't be afraid to test the rev limiter just to make sure it works....

'11 R1200RT '12F800GS BlackDenis's Avatar

Rev limiter

Yes, indeed it works. I rode one of the local mega-twisties in 1st gear yesterday. Kind of jerky because of the low ratio, and with the ear plugs in, it was great. Probably offended the populace a bit but it was necessary

IMHO - it's your bike, so do whatever you want with it. I have this silly belief that the engineers who wrote the break-in recommendations might know more about the engine and how it should be broken in then some dude with a website.. but that's just me. I'm funny that way.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

RPM procedure

changes on the 2010 models and newer allow you a much higher RPM during "run-in" then prior model by a long shot. Don't know why anyone would feel the need to over step the Manual's break-in guides. 5500 RPM right out of the gate, after 130 miles go to 6500, with a few more miles they tell you 7500 and before 500 miles they say max RPM. Beats the heck out of old days. Plus with the tall 6th gear you can pretty much go >100MPH area after first start-up.
    MOA #46783
    2014 R1200RT