Thread: 2007 R1200RT Windshield Swing Arm Support Bracket

thundley

2007 R1200RT Windshield Swing Arm Support Bracket

Hi all,

Was wondering if any of you have had to replace the windshield swing arm support bracket/s on your bikes and if so, how difficult of a job this is? See the attached image, I have circled the part in question.

BMW Windshied Swing Arm.jpg

My clutch side bracket has broken most likely due to the additional stress involved with an aftermarket (larger) windshield. I have heard there are aftermarket aluminum brackets available?

Also, there are some round retainer springs that hold this bracket in place (item #13 in the attached image). Is a special tool needed to remove/replace these?

Thanks in advance for any support with this!

Tom
    2007 R1200RT

Hey Tom.

Here is what you want:

http://www.westtoolff.com/index_file...l_products.htm

Replace both brackets, not just the broken one.

I did this on my 05 a couple of years back. It was not difficult, and required no special tools. Not dropping and losing the small parts was the biggest challenge. I had to remove some pieces of the faring, but nothing difficult.

I made a post with pics on XPLOR, but XPLOR is now dead and gone.

It really is not a tough job to do. The new brackets are strong and well made.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

thundley
    Thanks Rob!

How are those retainer clips removed, no special tool needed? screwdriver, needle nose pliers?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by thundley View Post
    Hi all,

Was wondering if any of you have had to replace the windshield swing arm support bracket/s on your bikes and if so, how difficult of a job this is? See the attached image, I have circled the part in question.

BMW Windshied Swing Arm.jpg

My clutch side bracket has broken most likely due to the additional stress involved with an aftermarket (larger) windshield. I have heard there are aftermarket aluminum brackets available?

Also, there are some round retainer springs that hold this bracket in place (item #13 in the attached image). Is a special tool needed to remove/replace these?

Thanks in advance for any support with this!

Tom
    2007 R1200RT
    I have a guy who is a BMW owner who makes replacement supports himself. I bought a set from him and they are of the highest quality, with German sourced bushings. I beleive they are solid stainless and painted black. I have permission to pass on his email address.

I originally came in contact wiht him either here at this site or BMWlt.com or possibly BMWst.com.

He sells his struts for $65.00 including airmail shipping to US (He is in Canada) contact him at jkwinchester@sympatico.ca

These struts are beautifully done and have operated flawlessly for well over a year now. I usually run a V-stream. But these things are truly bulletproof!

He made a set for himsellf and then posted that he had made a few for sale back when I bought mine.

A couple of days ago I conversed with him and he had 2 fresh sets sitting on his workbench ready for shipping!

His name is Jim Winchester Here is a photo of his Yep solid Stianless struts! http://gallery.mac.com/jkwinchester1...lack&view=grid

Jim also makes a RAM Mount some folks have used. here is the thread!

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...light=jakfrost

TURNS OUT HE IS FLYBIKE ON BMWMOA!!!!
    Last edited by Atomicman; 06-27-2011 at 09:57 PM.
    "The Older I Get, the Faster I Was"
    '09 Black Metallic Sapphire "Fully Farkled" RT

Quote Originally Posted by thundley View Post
    Thanks Rob!

How are those retainer clips removed, no special tool needed? screwdriver, needle nose pliers?

Tom
    I don't specifically remember, it's been too long. But I know that I did it in the shop, with 'normal' tools. So a screw driver, needle nose, etc. I do remember dropping one and hunting for it on the floor, and I recall some minor difficulty, but nothing that was overly difficult. Certainly no special tools.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

I have a set of the West Tool supports sitting on the workbench. The OEM's haven't broken yet, but I'm going to go ahead and install them anyway. Exactly which pieces of the plastic need to be removed?
    Tom
    Plantation, Fl

Here's the only picture I have showing what I did. I removed the mirrors and it appears I separated the dash upper part. I don't remember exactly, as I said, but what you see here was not difficult to do. I know it took maybe an hour, working at a relaxed pace, including a good buffing of the windshield.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

I bought them from Flybike: jkwinchester@sympatico.ca

The other source was weeks out & I needed them ASAP. They were easy to install & fit perfectly. As for the clips, they are half moons, just pick them out with a small screwdriver & give them a little squish to close them up a scoch before reinstalling them. Very very simple...
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by JStrube View Post
    I bought them from Flybike: jkwinchester@sympatico.ca

The other source was weeks out & I needed them ASAP. They were easy to install & fit perfectly. As for the clips, they are half moons, just pick them out with a small screwdriver & give them a little squish to close them up a scoch before reinstalling them. Very very simple...
    Didya read my post 3 posts above yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Atomicman View Post
    Didya read my post 3 posts above yours?
    Of course I did...
    John.

I just replaced one of mine on my 07 R1200Rt.
    I didn't even think to see if there was aftermarket ones, so I bought the OEM part.

Remove the mirrors. remove all the windshield parts. Remove the screws that hold the top and side of the part that holds the gauges. I was able to pull back the top of that part to gain access to the bracket.

Use a small screwdriver or needlenose to get the circlips off. But be VERY careful they don't fly away. Go slow and use one hand on the circlip.

I hope that helps!
    Larie
    Reno-Tahoe, NV
    '07 R1200RT, '09 F800GS

Quote Originally Posted by JStrube View Post
    Of course I did...
    OK, then!