Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: As usual, BMW well represented in the IBR

No Drama Honda and Yamaha

I visited the IBR checkpoint in Jacksonville. As far as I could tell none of the various Wings, FJRs, or ST1300s needed anything -- one FJR rider swapped tires that I noticed.

Most of the BMWs were also parked but the two getting the most attention that day were the GS bikes sitting under the front drive swapping parts -- one of the spectators visiting the checkpoint gave the IBR rider the drive shaft right out of his GS:

Last edited by TexanRT; 07-29-2011 at 10:16 PM.
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA
    BMW R1200RT | HD Road Glide

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Motor31 View Post
    Only 2 final drive issues is far better than a previous years IBR where there were about 50% of the BMW entries that did not finish, most due to final drives.
    Sad to read about, but for those of us who have not drank the BMW Kool-Aid, not exactly unexpected.

Shame on corporate BMW.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar

I agree with Greenwald: Shame on Corporate BMW!

Don't forget - there was another BMW that failed. But he was a finisher when someone loaned him his Kawasaki Vulcan 500 to get from Amarillo, TX to the finish. AND, Chris Sakala who more than likely had a Top 5 finish on his R1200RT encountered unknown problems with his BMW. So halfway through the 3rd leg all he was trying to do was limp it in to the finish.

From my view, there are less problems for the BMWs than in the past, but there are less of them running the IBR, and they still are 'by far' the most unreliable brand. Which is too damn freaking bad as they make some damn nice bikes. I really think the new 1600s could be the Long Distance community's bike of choice in the future if it wasn't for that damned reliability issue. Many I have spoke to won't ever take the gamble on a first year BMW and will wait several years to see how things go. And even then aren't so sure.
    Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

Quote Originally Posted by beemerdons View Post
    many i have spoke to won't ever take the gamble on a first year bmw and will wait several years to see how things go. And even then aren't so sure.
    +1
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA
    BMW R1200RT | HD Road Glide

Chris, Rear Tire, Not the Bike, AFAIK

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerdons View Post
    Don't forget - there was another BMW that failed. But he was a finisher when someone loaned him his Kawasaki Vulcan 500 to get from Amarillo, TX to the finish. AND, Chris Sakala who more than likely had a Top 5 finish on his R1200RT encountered unknown problems with his BMW. So halfway through the 3rd leg all he was trying to do was limp it in to the finish.
    From what I've been told (it ain't hearsay, a guy told me so), Chris had a rear tire come apart in Texas, which cost him a half day.