Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: As usual, BMW well represented in the IBR

  1. #1
    --Tony AnnapolisAirhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Watkinsville, Georgia/Annapolis, Maryland
    Posts
    1,783

    As usual, BMW well represented in the IBR

    For those following the IronButt Rally this year, looks like BMW leads the total number of bikes. This is just from interpreting the rally reports, no affiliation. Interesting spread of models within the brands. No Airheads, but there is a thumper...a KLR650. Maybe they should consider an award for miles per cylinder.

    Ride safe Ironbutters.

    Code:
    BMW
    F650GS.......:1
    K1200LT......:2
    K1300GT......:1
    R1100RSL.....:1
    R1100RT......:2
    R1150GSADV...:2
    R1200........:1
    R1200GS......:6
    R1200GSADV...:7
    R1200RT......:10
    ------------------------
    BMW Total: 33
    
    Harley-Davidson
    ElectraGlide.:1
    Roadglide....:2
    ------------------------
    Harley-Davidson Total: 3
    
    Honda
    CBR1100XX....:1
    Goldwing.....:16
    ST1300.......:9
    ------------------------
    Honda Total: 26
    
    Kawasaki
    Concours.....:1
    KLR650.......:1
    XZ12R........:1
    ------------------------
    Kawasaki Total: 3
    
    Suzuki
    DL650........:1
    SV650........:1
    ------------------------
    Suzuki Total: 2
    
    Triumph
    Trident......:1
    ------------------------
    Triumph Total: 1
    
    Yamaha
    DL1000.......:1
    FJR1300......:16
    FZ1..........:1
    RoadStar.....:1
    ------------------------
    Yamaha Total: 19
    '83 R100RT'd
    '71 R75/5 SWB
    '06 KLR 650

  2. #2
    Daily Rider jurgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    300
    Did it not end today? Who won? Checked the website and nothing posted yet...
    J?rgen
    Red Rocks
    04 R1150GS adv
    04 K1200RS last of the great bricks

  3. #3
    Registered User texanrt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    870
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA
    BMW R1200RT | HD Road Glide

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    153
    Of the top 10:
    5 Honda's
    2Yamaha
    3 BMW

    I think two final drive failures on BMW. Seems like a lot for something that's not a problem. One rider on a 2011 RT with 19,000 miles at the end had a seal leaking on the final drive.
    2007 R1200RT
    2000 R1100rt sold @ 72,000
    Iron Butt #24605

  5. #5
    Registered User MOTOR31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Full timr RV'er, where we park is home. No fixed address or location.
    Posts
    2,223
    Only 2 final drive issues is far better than a previous years IBR where there were about 50% of the BMW entries that did not finish, most due to final drives.
    DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
    Author Unknown

  6. #6
    Ambassador at Large JIMSHAW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hinckley, Ohio USA
    Posts
    351

    IBR Finish Report

    You can read the official story from the IBR 2011 finish here

    Only 3 BMWs finished in the top ten this year, and the winner rode a Yamaha FJR1300. Five of the top 10 were on Hondas.

    By all appearances, other marques have caught up with BMW reliability, and in some cases, bettered it. When I joined the IBA, BMWs were the brand of choice by a large majority of IBR riders. BMW dropped the ball by not admitting and solving the final drive and other issues, and today, newer IBR riders tend to look elsewhere.

    If you attended IBR events in the past eight years or so, you heard Iron Butt leaders severely batter BMW's reputation. Many of these folks referred to relying on a BMW in the IBR as "drinking the Kool-Aid." BMW owners took a pretty solid beating for BMW's reliability issues.

    Characteristically, BMW remained as stoic and silent as if their employees had been threatened, if they talked.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by jimshaw View Post
    You can read the official story from the IBR 2011 finish here

    Only 3 BMWs finished in the top ten this year, and the winner rode a Yamaha FJR1300. Five of the top 10 were on Hondas.

    By all appearances, other marques have caught up with BMW reliability, and in some cases, bettered it. When I joined the IBA, BMWs were the brand of choice by a large majority of IBR riders. BMW dropped the ball by not admitting and solving the final drive and other issues, and today, newer IBR riders tend to look elsewhere.

    If you attended IBR events in the past eight years or so, you heard Iron Butt leaders severely batter BMW's reputation. Many of these folks referred to relying on a BMW in the IBR as "drinking the Kool-Aid." BMW owners took a pretty solid beating for BMW's reliability issues.



    Characteristically, BMW remained as stoic and silent as if their employees had been threatened, if they talked.
    Our local BMW club is a BMW club in name only now. You can ride any 2 or 3 wheel machine to be in it. Good thing or the club would be shrinking rapidly. Every manufacturer has a design/quality problem now and then. The best ones admit it, fix it and make it right when a customer has a problem. My 2 cents.
    2007 R1200RT
    2000 R1100rt sold @ 72,000
    Iron Butt #24605

  8. #8
    BobT BobT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Evanston, IL USA
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by jimshaw View Post
    If you attended IBR events in the past eight years or so, you heard Iron Butt leaders severely batter BMW's reputation. Many of these folks referred to relying on a BMW in the IBR as "drinking the Kool-Aid." BMW owners took a pretty solid beating for BMW's reliability issues.
    It was a shame that Ken Meese, riding a K13000GT, was in the lead for this year's Rally until the last 24 hours, crashing in Nevada on Thursday evening.

    It will be interesting to see whether the rally performance and durability of BMW GT's over the next few years will repair the battered reputation BMW has right now in the LD community for final drive problems.

    The Yamaha FJR's stand out in this year's rally, IMO, as the most reliable ride: 7 of the top 20 finishers were on FJR 1300's. And all 16 of the FJR's that started the 2011 IBA rally in Washington made it to the finish in California.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    It was a shame that Ken Meese, riding a K13000GT, was in the lead for this year's Rally until the last 24 hours, crashing in Nevada on Thursday evening.

    It will be interesting to see whether the rally performance and durability of BMW GT's over the next few years will repair the battered reputation BMW has right now in the LD community for final drive problems.

    The Yamaha FJR's stand out in this year's rally, IMO, as the most reliable ride: 7 of the top 20 finishers were on FJR 1300's. And all 16 of the FJR's that started the 2011 IBA rally in Washington made it to the finish in California.
    Yep, FJR's did well and a new FJR cost about 25% less than an RT or GT. I like my RT, it's my second one, but I'll be looking hard at the competition next time.
    2007 R1200RT
    2000 R1100rt sold @ 72,000
    Iron Butt #24605

  10. #10
    Survivor akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Land of the Big Sky
    Posts
    3,710
    I think the results indicate there is still a significant issue with our FDs. Progress was made, but FD failures should be a rareity in the IBR not an expectation.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

  11. #11
    On the road again! R80RTJohnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    861
    First congrats to all who participated in this years event. Reliability for reliability most manufacturers make a great product which can withstand such "abuse". Seems like the Triumph made is a finisher this year.

    The Ironbutt rally is more then just machine it's the rider. The abilities of the rider will make the difference between a high and low result. What I found disappointing were the DNF results for Harley mounted riders. Please no jokes.

    Happy riding.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

    Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

  12. #12
    Registered User MOTOR31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Full timr RV'er, where we park is home. No fixed address or location.
    Posts
    2,223
    BMW no longer has the reputation that the airheads and early K bikes earned for the marque. Back in the 70's when I bought my first BMW, it was regarded as the most reliable long distance machine available. If something did break, it could be fixed by the rider usually.

    I think BMW, like VW, has dropped the ball in search of gadgets to tempt buyers. They have lost the reliability factor by overcomplicating the vehicles with less than stellar engineering. Relying on gadgets like power brakes on a motorcycle, to show improvements was not the way to go. The cost and necessity of maintenance has skyrocketed with the brand and makes for an expensive choice in riding equipment.

    Honda is now the reliability standard and BMW has fallen far behind. It's sad but as long as BMW relies on selling a "lifestyle" rather than a means of transportation it is not going to get better.
    DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
    Author Unknown

  13. #13
    Ambassador at Large JIMSHAW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hinckley, Ohio USA
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by R80RTJohnny View Post
    The Ironbutt rally is more then just machine it's the rider. The abilities of the rider will make the difference between a high and low result. What I found disappointing were the DNF results for Harley mounted riders. Please no jokes.
    It is widely thought that the rider wins or finishes the IBR. The machine he's on can enable or prevent that.

  14. #14
    On the road again! R80RTJohnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    861
    Quote Originally Posted by jimshaw View Post
    It is widely thought that the rider wins or finishes the IBR. The machine he's on can enable or prevent that.
    Reading different forums over the years the emphasis it seems would be manufacturer bragging rights. Other forums are a bit more manufacturer/machine centric.

    Now let's just wish those who did not finish due to accidents a speedy recovery.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

    Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

  15. #15
    na1g
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Greater Bahstin, Massachusetts
    Posts
    689
    According to the fjr-forum, Yamaha has finally stepped-up with a recall of an electrical issue that has occured on the "generation 2" (2006-now) models. This has not often been a dead-by-the-side-of-the-road failure but is finally being viewed by Yamaha as a safety issue. So, good for them (at last). Hello BMW... anybody listening?

    pete

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •