Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Michelin Pilot Road II vs III

Pusser's Pyrate Society Zygmund's Avatar
    '02 R1150RT

Anyone know what the new tire tread depth is on the PR3's?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveAikens View Post
    It's not just Michelin. Ever called a tech support line? At the lowest level, those are factory reps. Every company has their losers and dead weight they need to remove.
    First problem: English is a second language on a lot of tech support lines now. Neither side of the conversation is communicating well.
    Second problem: Reading a script and not listening to the caller. Better conversations with a brick or my dogs.
    Third problem: Probably know nothing about the product unless the computer they are using gets hits on specific search terms in your question then goes back to the second problem.

FWIW, I absolutely love my PR3's. "B" tire on the rear They have much better wear than the PR2's, despite the "Rep" saying nothing is different other than the sipes. I raise the BS Flag on that one .

Sorry, oil threads aren't scheduled until winter.

Tire threads are summer threads.....
    Steve, technically a tire thread is an oil thread. Unless, maybe, we are talking about synthetic tires...
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Quote Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
    Steve, technically a tire thread is an oil thread. Unless, maybe, we are talking about synthetic tires...
    Doug, Doug, Doug.... An oil thread can migrate to a tire thread but I don't see any way a tire thread can revert to an oil thread - well, maybe if we had a Star Trek warp drive....

I love it when the "Dead Threads" [albeit without Jerry G.] are resurrected.

Words typed years ago like "genuflecting" in a tire thread are so gratifying....

BTW, if anyone is interested, that set of PR3s I mounted in Tucson went 13,722 miles. They were both changed because the rear was almost showing cord. The front could have easily gone "more". How much more is unknown but it was started to show some cupping but I couldn't feel anything from it. They were changed out back in Tucson, after a hard run across to Springerville, AZ from Clovis, NM, then south on 191 to enjoy one of the southwests finest motorcycling roads on the way to Tucson.

My confidence in these tires to the very end of their life is still as stated in 2011.

Buy them.
    Ride them.
    Enjoy them.

OR

Don't.

They work for me.

Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Caribbean Druid
    +1. We've run PR3s on my wife's RT and now on her 2012 1200R. She routinely gets 10-12k miles out of a set. We like them enough that I also just mounted them on my GS (I use it as more of a sport tourer than an off-roader). Great tires. Good stick, long life and excellent in the rain, which is important here in subtropical Flatistan. Highly recommended...

No longer a member here
    What tire pressures are you running when you get 13,000+ miles out of a tire?

Running light 40/40 and heavy 40/42. Always one up. I weigh 160. However, aux fuel cell on passenger seat area lugging 4+ gal.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

I weigh 160.
    Oh yeah me too. 30 years ago.

30 years ago I weighed in the 125 neighborhood.... Happens to us all.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

6000 miles on my PR3's so far k1600, very happy with them. Should get another 3000-4000 out of them
    Run recommended 42/42 pressure
    Ordered the B rear tire, no telling when it will come in, want to have it, when needed

Had a pr 3 mounted on my R1100R yesterday. Pricey but looks good.

Doug, Doug, Doug.... An oil thread can migrate to a tire thread but I don't see any way a tire thread can revert to an oil thread - well, maybe if we had a Star Trek warp drive....
    Dilithium crystals unnecessary Steve ! Simply think Green !!

RECYCLING
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

tires

On my 2nd set of PR3's with almost 12k on this set with some tread left. Got my 30K coming up on 12 RT and will get new one's put on then. Great tire for me.
    IBA Number 49673
    Moore OK
    http://lngrdr.blogspot.com/

I had the 3's put on my RT during my 6K service last week and have to say that I really do love them. No more heart stopping moments when losing the front end or sliding mid turn after hitting one of the irregular road surfaces that we are famous for here in The lower NY area.

I was told at the dealer to run them at 36 / 42 and am curious about where the 40 / 40 recommendation came from? I'm 162 lbs and ride solo most of the time.

Thanks!
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

36/42 is what the owners manual calls for riding two up if I recall correctly. However, I have never found generally accepted pressures to suit individual riding styles or conditions.

I trashed a front wheel on my RS some years back, hitting an expansion joint that had a sunken asphalt entrance and a steel leading edge protecting the concrete side of the culvert. That joint was less than one inch high - the asphalt road is over a calachie vein that settled after a number of days of hard rain, but the concrete culvert remained at it's proper level. Not at all uncommon here in NM. I hit it at just over 75 mph, running just slightly above the flow of traffic on I-40 east outside Albuquerque in Tijeras Canyon. That joint has since been repaired twice I know of, and it's STILL like hitting a curb.

I was running 36 in front at the time. Back then, my dealer of choice was Deming Cycle Center - easily one of the best, if not THE best dealership - I've ever had the pleasure of working with [thank you Don Cameron]. The rim had to be replaced and was covered by insurance. At the time, Don told me to try running 40/40 to protect the rim. As it turned out, for my riding style and the crap roads we have here in NM, the added four lbs worked out great for me and actually decreased tire wear. The ride isn't as soft but on five high mileage BMWs, I've not had any more issues with damaging front rims since changing.

I check pressures every day I ride using either of two digital guages that actually read the same - they came from Roadgear:
    http://roadgear.com/digital-tire-gauge-p-40.html

I won't add air if the tires are at 39 lbs, but I will if they're any lower.

Works for me very well.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442