Thread: New York Finger Lakes recommendations?

Hybrid View

ronshult

New York Finger Lakes recommendations?

Greetings:

After the rally in Bloomsburg I was thinking about heading up into the Finger Lakes. I am sure someone is familiar and may offer some recommendations for places to visit. Appreciate any help...thx

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Watkins Glen, take the hike up the Glen.

Hundreds of Wineries

Curtis Museum in Hammondsport

The Finger Lakes Region . . . .

As a former resident I would recommend the riding along all of the lakes. There are over 100 vineyards and there are good restaurants. One in particular is Rosalee's Cucina at the top of the hill (west) of Skaneateles. It is not cheap but the food and wine are the best. Go very hungry. It is a must go to when I return there to visit. In fact, I am going there after the rally and I will have dinner with friends there.
    Safe travels . . .
    Campbell Tellman II
    Last edited by CTellman; 06-20-2011 at 09:57 PM.

ronshult
    Thank you...we love good wine and food.

As mentioned, the Curtiss Museum is worth a visit. It's on SR 54 just south of Hammondsport. You can't miss it, there's a big airplane parked in front. From there, a leisurely ride up SR 54A on the west side of Keuka Lake is nice and there are lots of wineries, some on the hill west of the lake. Keuka is one of the prettiest of the Finger Lakes.

There are wineries all along Seneca Lake as well.

On the way to the Finger Lakes, you might want to stop in Corning for the Corning Museum of Glass and the Rockwell Museum, which has Western art. If you are into gliders, there is Harris Hill just west of Elmira on the hill above the Corning Elmira airport.

Ride safe and watch for deer; they are abundant in the Finger Lakes area.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

MHUMMER148668

Finger Lakes

I agree with all the posts. We have explored much of that area and we truly love it. Hammondsport and the museum is worth the stop, as is Bully Hill Vineyards, weird but cool. The ride around Skaneateles Lake is nice as is staying at the Sherwood Inn. I am leaving Michigan a few days early before Bloomsburg and taking the long way though the lakes for a few days. Staying at the Birds Nest Motel just outside Skaneateles one night. Old School, clean, with a pool out front that is so nice to fall into after a days ride.