Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: quick turn signal question

new kid
    Please let me know the results! Sounds interesting. I would assume my bulbs aren't "authentic". I'd be pissed if that was the case and I spent 90 bucks on a new relay.

Bulbs

Been there, done that. I installed an 1157 (maybe a 1156 I forget now exactly) instead of the right bulb. It fits but draws way too much current. The dealer at the time spotted the problem right away as it was a common thing to try to use auto bulbs. As I recall the wattage is suppose to be 2 watts and the car bulb rates at 20 and the flasher can't work it.

I also learned the hard way by melting the taillight lens.

Now I have the LED board from Motorrad Elektrik and a new lens!
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

new kid
    well luckily i only spent 8 bucks on the new relay. i didn't throw out the original one, so i'll just hold onto it, just in case it's only a wonky bulb. it wouldn't surprise me, i think last time i switched them i just used whatever i had left over in a box of random parts that fit. haha. and my rear signals are aftermarket and use a different smaller bulb entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by nardowell View Post
    My 1974 R90/6 is having the same problem. While at an Airhead meeting a long time airhead owner told me to check my bulbs in the turn signals and make sure they are all original equipment bulbs.
    I found that one of the 4 was a 1156 bulb which is not what is recommended. My guru said that this bulb has a bigger filament and that makes the flasher unit think that the bulb is burnt out and it won't flash correctly on the insturment panel.
    When I get the new (right) bulb from Hucky, I'll let you know if that was the right fix or whether my leg was being pulled.
    Got the new OEM bulb in the turn signal and the flash indicator on the instrument panel works fine now. Even a nardowell can fix things with a little help from fellow Airheads.
    Nardowell
    Hoa Binh (Peace)
    Vietnam '69 and '70
    2012 R1200R classic