Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are most jackets and pants black?

Why are most jackets and pants black?

I often wonder why most motorcycle apparel black or if it's multi colored the arms are black or the tops of the arms are black or another dark color?

Didn't the manufactures ever hear the warnings when it's hot out "wear light colored clothing?"

And don't we know of any high tech fabric that keeps the sun from broiling you in your jacket and pants or one piece suit? How about some reflective properties in the garment to help us not feel like a baked chicken when we arrive at our destination?

Vents in the right places make sense too. If they are on my chest, and I am behind my windshield that really doesn't do me any good.

I did hear of one jacket that has some fabric that breathes when you're hot and conserves heat when you are cold....but I think it comes in Black and Black......

I don't need to look like an outlaw when I ride. It isn't a fashion show for me it's about comfort and safety.
    Patti B

'00 R1100R
    '08 F800ST

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Supply and demand.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Earache
    It's gonna end up black anyway, so they're just speeding up the process.

Smile

Basically three reasons:

1) Fades the least of all dyes, so still a popular (and inexpensive) color option for manufacturers

2) Jackets tend to get dirty with wear - black is one less 'region' to show dirt

3) Still some 'tradition-clinging' to the original colors of motorcycle apparel from a bygone era

Good luck finding something that you like.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Bob T
    The big question to me is, why did I BUY black colored mesh jacket and pants...??

There are other options out there...but I didn't buy them...
    I was thinking about this very thing when I was out yesterday in near 90?? weather in my black mesh....

Moondog
    [QUOTE=Bob T;686113]The big question to me is, why did I BUY black colored mesh jacket and pants...??

I was thinking about this very thing when I was out yesterday in near 90?? weather in my black mesh...."

Don't feel bad I fell in to that category also BUT recently bought an Olympia Bushwacker jacket, bright yellow! Living Georgia I'm sure black will absorb lots of heat and also with the bright jacket no one misses me. If they do, they shouldn't be driving!
    It is a well ventelated jacket with all the armour.

Why did I buy a silver Transition 2 winter jacket??? It can't be machine washed or dry cleaned. I should have bought a black one.
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Unhappy me, too

Quote Originally Posted by Bob T View Post
    The big question to me is, why did I BUY black colored mesh jacket and pants...??

I was thinking about this very thing when I was out yesterday in near 90?? weather in my black mesh....
    me too
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

Jackets

Quote Originally Posted by kgadley01 View Post
    Why did I buy a silver Transition 2 winter jacket??? It can't be machine washed or dry cleaned. I should have bought a black one.
    How do you clean it?

Mary
    2007 R1200RT

Ride in the rain.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

I think a lot of riders choose black because they just don't want to stand out.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

johnnywishbone

not black, not neon either

i an a HARLEY stripped softail guy. i don't wear the black darth vader crap. i am beauty.
    i am also a R1200RT guy. i wear schuberth C3 and technical riding gear from bmw motorrad.
    simply because i'm old and if i fall off, i know i'll come apart, and it's gonna hurt. my riding skills are poor.
    pain purifies, but i'm already pure enough. jp

Quote Originally Posted by kgadley01 View Post
    I have a silver Transition 2 and wash it on gentle using the Nikwax Tech Wash product.

Black areas came out a bit grey but that has since worn away. I'd wash it again tomorrow if it needed it.

Zips Location

Patti -

I bought a great FirstGear jacket and pants (In black, of course!) many years ago, and

IT HAS ZIPS AT THE FRONT ELBOW AREA, which absolutely, positively, give a rush of air across my CoolVest when needed. Or, they zip shut and are airtight (just "mostly" watertight in heavy rain) for colder weather and the electric Vest of Pleasure..

As I've since found out, finding a jacket with this (obvious, to me) hugely useful feature is RARE. People look at me as if I'm nuts to wear this ALL-SEASON jacket in the desert when it's (no kidding) 110 degrees, but a Camelbak and a Cool Vest and vented elbows have gotten this old bod across the summertime Mojave multiple times without incident.

I have NO idea why so few manufacturers have not got this one figured out. No idea. If I ever have to buy another jacket (thinking Hi-Viz yellow), I'll probably find a tailor to ADD these zips. Yeah, they make that much difference.

Walking Eagle

I bought one black BMW jacket.

I will never, ever, ever, buy a black riding garment again. Period.

Manufacturers, are you listening????
    The only difference between me and a madman... is that I'm not mad...DALI
    1990 K75T-- paint code 666
    1973 R75/5-- toaster curry orange
    2001 325xit-- titanium silver