Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why are most jackets and pants black?

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    I think a lot of riders choose black because they just don't want to stand out.
    Darwin would have an issue with that.

The idea is to stand out so other motorists will see you.

When I was at my dealer I wanted to buy a rain suit to go over a mesh jacket and kevlar jeans. All he had was black. I asked if they could order the rainsuit I liked in a brighter color. They could, and did, and I have a rainsuit with a bright yellow panel on the upper part, way better than black for riding in the rain...

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Bike Shorts

Quote Originally Posted by Guenther View Post
    Here we go...I was looking for bicycle (non-motorized two wheeler to be clear) shorts. ALL stores in town only carried BLACK. I complained to all the shop owners about that. And their typical answer was..."because our customers prefer black".
    /Guenther
    Up until relatively recently, black was the only color permitted for racing, so the pros all wore black. When that rule was dropped, some very bad color choices were made in shorts. Ride behind a sweaty cyclist in white shorts and you'll quickly see the wisdom of black. Still, colorful shorts are available.
    Justin in Somerville, MA

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    Darwin would have an issue with that.

The idea is to stand out so other motorists will see you.

When I was at my dealer I wanted to buy a rain suit to go over a mesh jacket and kevlar jeans. All he had was black. I asked if they could order the rainsuit I liked in a brighter color. They could, and did, and I have a rainsuit with a bright yellow panel on the upper part, way better than black for riding in the rain...

Harry
    Yes I think standing out in the crowd is a good thing for us since most motorists don't see us anyway.

Thanks everybody for all the info...I knew this would start a firestorm but it's all good information to share.
    Patti B

'00 R1100R
    '08 F800ST

Quote Originally Posted by na1g View Post
    Aerostich Transit Two-Piece Suit: it's leather but is specially made with a "solar-reflective pigment" that will "wear up to 30 degrees cooler." Also waterproof. If it's as good as the other Aerostich riding gear, it's excellent. I haven't tried one but spoke with another rider who had one and he loved it. Oh yea, it $1,595.

My Olympia AST jacket was substantially cheaper and in high-viz yellow is impossible to get or keep clean.

pete
    Pete,

I would love to get the Transit Suit but then I would have to come out of retirement and get a job to pay for it and I would have no time for riding then...
    Patti B

'00 R1100R
    '08 F800ST

Black or any other color the inexpensive key to not roasting is to wear a long-sleeved shirt and soak it with water, then put the jacket on. Works best with a vented jacket.
    When the only riding gear was leather black just made sense, and as well all know Black is the only color for REAL Motorcycles.

Still, colorful shorts are available.
    Oh wow! Never seen those on the roads...these items must be "verboten" in public. Good to know that there are options out there.

So, do we have pictures of colorful motorcycle wear that is "tolerated" on a Beemer?

/Guenther

Back in the old days...
    if you didn't wear black, you ended up with a nice chain oil stripe up your right leg and back...even on pedal bikes. And, before lycra/spandex bike shorts, they were made of wool and made nice place to wipe your hands off when your chain came off.
    Have a pair of light grey riding pants amongst my black ones...they sure get dirty real quick out in the rain or bug filled byways.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

This was nothing more than an a convenient excuse. Couldn't justify buying myself a new jacket, so I bought a neon one for my son. Now he always has an excuse to ride with me. Hopefully, if they don't see me, they'll see him. Its good to be 13....

Black was used for motorcycle wear because that's the color of all the grease and grunge on old motorcycles. Maybe not so much of an issue for BMW's, but ride a leaky old bike with a chain and black becomes much more appealing.
    Last edited by Anyname; 06-08-2011 at 03:51 AM.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Real bikers don't wear neon, stripes or day-glo 'hi-vis' garbage. Black proves you're a bad ass biker, and non of that pansy ATGATT stuff either. Except fingerless gloves. Those are cool. Worried about being seen? Your bike aint LOUD enuf !!
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

I have a gripe about light colored matching jacket/pants. I'm trying to find a white 2-piece mesh suit. It can even have some gray/silver pattern. I'm successful in finding a white/silver jacket, but they don't make a matching pant.

Any suggestions???
    09 HP2 Sport: '06 K12R; '09 Buell XB9SX

Retired User
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainR12C View Post
    I have a gripe about light colored matching jacket/pants. I'm trying to find a white 2-piece mesh suit. It can even have some gray/silver pattern. I'm successful in finding a white/silver jacket, but they don't make a matching pant.

Any suggestions???
    Try the Rev'It Tornado jacket & pants: http://www.revitusa.com/en-us/#/home
    Bill Mayer
    MOA #98888
    R1200RT

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by johnnywishbone View Post
    i an a HARLEY stripped softail guy. i don't wear the black darth vader crap. i am beauty.
    i am also a R1200RT guy. i wear schuberth C3 and technical riding gear from bmw motorrad.
    simply because i'm old and if i fall off, i know i'll come apart, and it's gonna hurt. my riding skills are poor.
    pain purifies, but i'm already pure enough. jp
    I have Black jackets but have left the Dark Side and now wear BRIGHT colored mesh jackets. The better ventilation and visibility of the yellow/lime green is a +.
    Hot humid weather can be dealt with by using a Camelback & wicking underwear in addition to using quality mesh gear.
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

Real bikers....35634
    There; somebody said it.
    Last edited by rinty; 06-08-2011 at 02:25 AM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    There; somebody said it.
    Actually its because the makers of motorcycle clothes have been bought up by the Bottled Water distributors!

RM