Thread: summer helmet

summer helmet

Does anyone make a full coverage helmet that does NOT leave one's hair soaked with sweat in the summer heat?

I currently have an old Buell that I wouldn't mind replacing. I drove about 10 miles with temperatures in, I guess, the low 80's and when I take it off, my hair is soaking wet and I was just in a T-shirt. I had the shield up also since I had a windshield and glasses on.

I'm about ready to get half helmet.

Thank in advance.

Chuck

HOTTECH

summer helmet

I wear a silk cap under my helmet and it is cool and dry in the summer. Can not seem to find the web site that I bought it from but I paid something like $10 and free shipping. It is not the one that fits tight but fits loose and light. Will up date with the web site later.

My new Arai Profile vents like crazy over the top of my head. I'm going to try a LD Comfort head sock soaked in water this summer to see how it works.
    John.

I went from a modular helmet to a Shoei X-11, full face helmet. I wear a schumpa helmet liner and have for years. I swear that the full face helmet has much more ventilation than the modular helmet. I believe that wearing a helmet liner is a key. The combination between a good ventilated helmet with a liner is the key to comfortable. Keep the hot air off my face. My food for thought...
    Keep the rubber side down!!
    1986 R 80 RS
    1992 R 100 R
    BMW MOA Life member; Ironbutt Member; Airhead Member

I recently picked up a new Scorpion Exo 900 convertable helmet. So far I am real pleased. It is well ventilated and has a liner that makes space for airflow. I am in Hotlanta and have done some 90 degr. + rides. This brain bucket is probably the coolest I have owned.
    "Wer reitet so spaet durch nacht und wind -es ist der Vater mit seinem Kind" -- Goethe
    R1200RT, F800GS
    '80 GL1100

Helmet liner and keep your hair short.
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

This is a BMW site - we wear full face helmets & replace helmets every 5 yrs. or so
    '91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753

My white Arai Profile full-face works well in the heat.

So does my much cheaper HJC full-face in white.

White helmets are safer, and white does reflect sunlight better, so they probably run cooler.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Bell Star

I have a Bell Star and this helmet flows ALOT of Air! It's pretty loud so I would suggest ear plugs.

Brick--->Rockster
    Shoei X-11, period. This is the best helmet I've ever tried. Prior to this helmet becoming discontinued for the X-12, it was the benchmark for ventilation without being overly noisy. It's even been stated that the X-11 is still a much better helmet than the new X-12. My father uses a new Shoei RF-1100 which also is a great venting helmet.

Certifiable User Mike_Philippens's Avatar
    I know they're expensive in de US, but I have a Schuberth S1Pro, which is quite good in the heat. Normally you have a liner that covers the entire interior of the helmet. Not in the S1Pro. The top half of the helmet only has 3 'lanes' of liner. So it has a good fit on your head, and allows for good ventilation:

The 'lanes' of liner are removable (velcro) for easy cleaning.

And I also wear a CoolMax liner.
    -=- if you always see the road ahead of you, it's not worth the trip -=-

Quote Originally Posted by NH_k75s View Post
    Shoei X-11, period. This is the best helmet I've ever tried. Prior to this helmet becoming discontinued for the X-12, it was the benchmark for ventilation without being overly noisy. It's even been stated that the X-11 is still a much better helmet than the new X-12. My father uses a new Shoei RF-1100 which also is a great venting helmet.
    +1 Nothing vents as well as an X-11!
    Rod
    95 K1100RS
    07 R1200RT

Raspberry waffles Bob!!! kewlmoose's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dchumphrey View Post
    I have a Bell Star and this helmet flows ALOT of Air! It's pretty loud so I would suggest ear plugs.
    +1 on the Bell Star. Go with a light color.
    82 R65LS - gone but not forgotten
    02 R1150RT
    "Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw"
    "I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart."