Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: To sheepskin or not

Rally Rat
    I had an Alaska Sheepskin early on and all it did was make me sweat. Gone.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bandman View Post
    My wife and I will be leaving next week for a 3000 mile journey to Yellowstone from the UP of Michigan. We have an KLT and I want her to be comfy. How valuable are the(AEROSTICH) sheepskin pads to a good ride? Do they keep your bum coolo or cooler than the stock seat? Question - are they worth it to purchase?

The Mrs. Enjoys her sheepskin (www.alaskaleatheronline.com) pad Big Time - you can save 10% if interested by using "Deadsheep" when checking out.

We also have a Russell Day long FWIW.

08RT

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    It's the reason I take mine off the saddle in very heavy rain. Never had any problem with dye transfer.
    If you are caught on I35 in Texas in stop and go traffic, you can't just get off and remove the pad. This place has popup showers all of the time!
    SABMWRA MOA #62
    2005 BMW R1200RT
    2008 Honda CBR1000RR LE
    1984 Kawasaki 750 Turbo E1

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfr View Post
    If you are caught on I35 in Texas in stop and go traffic, you can't just get off and remove the pad. This place has popup showers all of the time!
    No need to remove the pad for most rain. You need to be in a gully washer for quite a while before the pad gets uncomfortable, and even then it doesn't really soak up the water unless the bike is parked. Your butt on the pad keeps most of the water out.

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    No need to remove the pad for most rain. You need to be in a gully washer for quite a while before the pad gets uncomfortable, and even then it doesn't really soak up the water unless the bike is parked. Your butt on the pad keeps most of the water out.
    I can vouch for that. Today, crossing a mountain pass in British Columbia, the rain stared pouring down. Temps dropped to 39 degrees. No good place to pull off. When we got to the other side, only the edges of the sheepskin picked up water.

Drying now. No worries. Alaska Leather sheepskin goes everywhere with me.

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Sheepskin

Lots of good info. Thanks for all who replied. What to do, what to do. The Alaskan sheepskin looks good.. Now to decide on a Russell or an Alaskan

Quote Originally Posted by kgadley01 View Post
    I had a Sheepskin and gave it away. I had Beads and gave them away also. The cure for me was a Russell Daylong Seat. No more problems period!!!
    I am probably in the minority, but the Russell did not work for me. It cut off circulation to my right foot.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Got that sheepskin and no longerr use it. Sweaty hot in summer and not needed in winter around here. Use a bead rider for a cool butt in the humid stuff around here.

I had a sheepskin pad that I bought with my firsr BMW in '82, and loved it. Couple years ago I replaced it w Alaska leather pad and had the opposite reaction. It didn't "work" very well, AND it attracted flies!!.

But I'm gonna try and cheap out and use the baby sheepskin that our "baby" no longer sleeps on. I'm trying to figure out how to attach it, or who I can take it to to sew in some straps for under the seat.
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

I've used a sheepskin for many a mile, wouldn't leave home without one. When we got our Wing we bought a car sheepskin and cut it down to fit. I use generic sheepskins, nothing fancy or motorcycle specific. If you go the cheap route like me, make sure you DO NOT get a long hair skin, make sure it's short hair. Long hair skins do a poor job of keeping you cool. Just my 2 cents.
    Have fun & Ride safe, Anthony
    '83 R100RS
    '03 GL1800A
    '99 KLR 250

Forgot to mention, but you can wash it in the washer and dry it in the dryer for a feeling like NEW!

Voni
    sMiling

Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    Forgot to mention, but you can wash it in the washer and dry it in the dryer for a feeling like NEW!

Voni
    sMiling
    I use Woolite and a bucket then it drips dry to like new & refluffs itself. Hey, mine is covered in the rain too, but I kinda think its the size of my butt that does that ?

not so much

washed my alaska leather on gentle cycle ...destroyed it.
    Last edited by 26667; 06-09-2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: sbelling
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

Tell Barb at Alaska Leathers. She'll make it right.

Voni