Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: To sheepskin or not

To sheepskin or not

My wife and I will be leaving next week for a 3000 mile journey to Yellowstone from the UP of Michigan. We have an KLT and I want her to be comfy. How valuable are the(AEROSTICH) sheepskin pads to a good ride? Do they keep your bum coolo or cooler than the stock seat? Question - are they worth it to purchase?

sheepskin

Just want to add that I am not a newbie. I have ridden all my life and have put on several 800-900 mile days just myself on my KRS but just wanted to keep the wifey comfy.

Yarddog
    Only way to find out is to try out...

Mongrel Owner
    Don't know about the Aerostich sheepskins, but I've used a regular lay-your-baby-on-it piece of sheepskin and the comfort was almost sinful. It reduced sweating and felt like floating on a cloud.
    Downside is that if it got wet you were sitting on a rain cloud.
    For what they cost, I don't think you can go wrong.
    Cheers,
    Tony

Alaska Sheepskin Butt Pad

You can't go wrong with an Alaska Sheepskin Butt Pad.

http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/servlet/StoreFront

I used one on a standard seat on my old bike with pretty good success. When I
    bought my new 2009 RT I decided to go all out and shell out the big bucks for a Russell Day-Long Saddle. If you really want comfort, that's the way to go. If you're not ready to shell out the big bucks, an Alaska Sheepskin Butt Pad works well and my wife liked the Air Hawk cushion I got for her. Don

Honestly -

The Aerostich sheepskin is not up to par, the Alaska Sheepskin is better. But my experience is that the Beadrider is 1000% better than either.

I usually ride 11,000 + miles a year - in nearly all seasons. The Beadrider is perfect for hot weather riding - I use mine and wear the Aerostich padded riding shorts - keeps air moving under the nether regions.....

http://www.beadrider.com/

Usual disclaimers.

I've Tried Alaska Sheepskin & BeadRider

As noted, I tried the Alaska product on top of a BMW OEM seat on my RT, and then the BeadRider. After about 8000 miles trying to get beyond around 200 miles a day, in cold and heat, I decided to spring the big $$ for a Russell Day-Long. This single change has made all the difference, and my concerns now are not with how many miles I have to go (400+ a couple of times in April), but with gasoline supplies, nutrition, etc. YMMV, but all I can say is that when I settle into the RD-L, I'm doing fine, be it 10 miles or 400 miles.

One caveat, on long days above 85F I wear LD Comfort shorts under my armored pants.

PS - You will have a fine time in Yellowstone NP for sure...and don't miss the Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole, WY just south of there. If you're 62 or older, you can get a lifetime pass to the US National Parks for $10.
    John Gamel
    2008 Kalahari Beige R1200RT
    LEOSA Certified

KLT here too;

My past KLT1200, that is, but the wife loved the comfort of the backseat without anything on it. I had a custom Russel made for the front only and left the rear alone for her. Perfect for our 97000miles on the KLT. I own a Alaska Sheepskin too, two of them and its a good product for my other bikes. The KLT stock "passenger seat" is probably one of the best factory seats around for pillion riders. The front seat brought me to tears on a cross country trip in Kentucky one day as I had ridden 800 miles and the KLT seat was killing me, as stock. I bought the beads for a temp fix on the road and got the Russel made as soon as I got home. A long trip...Randy

I don't know if the Aerostitch is better, but I have a large piece of sheepskin from Ikea. Around $25, It works for me.

Sheepskin is OK, but Beads are the way to go in my opinion. They keep you cool, don't let puddles form on the seat when raining and though they don't look it, (Butt) I find them very comfortable. Have a great ride and what ever you choose I hope it works for you.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Sheepskin can help, Alaska pads are high quality, butt they won't help a crappy seat.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by Beemeup View Post
    You can't go wrong with an Alaska Sheepskin Butt Pad.
    I use one, but don't let it get wet and ride on it. The dye from the pad stained my Tour Master rainsuit.
    SABMWRA MOA #62
    2005 BMW R1200RT
    2008 Honda CBR1000RR LE
    1984 Kawasaki 750 Turbo E1

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfr View Post
    I use one, but don't let it get wet and ride on it. The dye from the pad stained my Tour Master rainsuit.
    That's why I bought a natural black sheep pad.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Sitting on a wet sheepskin pad feels like siting on a sponge. It's the reason I take mine off the saddle in very heavy rain. Never had any problem with dye transfer.

I had a Sheepskin and gave it away. I had Beads and gave them away also. The cure for me was a Russell Daylong Seat. No more problems period!!!
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle