Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for a tire bead breaker tool?

Ideas for a tire bead breaker tool?

Can anyone recommend a tool for breaking the bead on a motorcyle tire? Got a new set of Avons for my R1150RS and a manual tire changer. I want to try changing with this changer and a No-Mar Demount Bar, but unsure of a good tool to break the tire bead.
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2004 R1150RS, forming a search committee to add another.

I have a bead breaker from JC Whitney but on the road I use a big C clamp.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

I have zero problem changing the older bikes tires and do it all the time, but opt to take my 1150r wheels off and pay the local Suzuki dealer(25k away) to change them out on a several thousand dollar machine for $25 the pair! Beads go back in at home. They do them on their schedule, I pick them up on the next grocery run. My wheels stay nice and no fighting with no-mar plastic thingies. If I had to I would take the "Paul route" vs. a cheapo changer.

Jim Bud
    I use an 8' 2x4 and a block of wood. The 2x4(on edge) is levered from under the car or some other sturdy pivot point. The pivot point needs to be very sturdy or very heavy.
    Breaking the bead takes alot of force, I have lifted a 200+lbs man standing on a work bench and not been able to break the bead.
    I keep planning to buy a breaker, but every time I'm ready to change a tire, I just reach for the 2x4 and get it done.
    Jim Bud...

From MARS
    It cost me about $40 to make this one. I carry it with me when away from home.

Tom

Bead breaker

Well, what Paul said. These were just laying around.

Mike B
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Very ingenious:)

Those are tire spoons!!! I like. Need these on the newer rims, as they are hard to work a tire off indeed. Check Aerostitch too, as they sell a few items of this regard. I bought the Popper wedge a few years ago and its a good tool, but you need a good hammer, too heavy to carry around. CClamps I've had issues with, not big enough bite in my experience, probably me. Never had to do a tire on the road however, just plugs or snakes in the tread worked every time. I mount new tire before every new long trip, regardless of the used tire treads on the bike. I reuse the tires when I get home, as needed for local riding and have a tire machine for this. My longest road trip is 10000 miles and have made it home easy. Randy

Those are tire spoons!!!
    Those isn't tire spoons ... those is tire IRONS
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

From MARS
    Well........... they call them spoons in the catalog.

I'd like to make the same tool using an aluminum "spoon" about 16" long, but these fit into the main tube on my R100R for traveling. I did make the connecting links a little longer and drilled two sets of holes to accommodate different width rims on later versions.

The most difficult part about making this bead breaker is drilling the holes in the spoons; you have to go really slow and use cutting oil if you don't want to burn up the drill bit.

Tom

They sell a very nice bead braker at Harbor Frieght. I use mine all the time. Its 30 or 40 bucks. Not made for travel though.
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

I have, over the years, changed my tires using only the two "spoons" supplied with the OEM BMW tool kit with no special "breaker" needed (and that was when I used to run Michelin M45s).

But I'll be damned if I could do if this past spring ... granted, it has be a number years (read, 15+) since I had done it, but I don't remember having the hassle with it that I did when I tried it a month ago.

On the road ... I've heard of using the weight of the bike and the center stand to break the bead. Sounds risky, at best.

Short of making the "spoon" handles shorter, and including a tubular "extension" (to make the whole package smaller) I think you have a marketable product there Tom.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Tube vs tubeless rims!

The two are worlds apart in difficulty as I see it too. I've done dozens of my tube rims with the bmw short irons and NO WAY will they work on my tubeless tire rims. The beads are way different to break loose too, tube vs tubeless. Boy, those tubeless beads nearly need an act of God to get loose, imo and even my tire machine struggles with that. Randy

From MARS
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    The two are worlds apart in difficulty as I see it too. I've done dozens of my tube rims with the bmw short irons and NO WAY will they work on my tubeless tire rims. The beads are way different to break loose too, tube vs tubeless. Boy, those tubeless beads nearly need an act of God to get loose, imo and even my tire machine struggles with that. Randy
    Randy, do you lube the tire *before* you try to break the bead? I've found it makes the job easier.

Tom

From MARS
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    ...............Short of making the "spoon" handles shorter, and including a tubular "extension" (to make the whole package smaller) I think you have a marketable product there Tom.
    Lew, I've sold a few ($75). When I get my new house finished, marketing them is on "the list". Thanks for the feedback.

Tom

I've used one of these for years:

http://www.aerostich.com/bead-breaker.html

2014 R1200GS Adventure