Thread: Day Ride to Kernville/Lake Isabella

Threaded View

SNC1923

Talking Day Ride to Glenville/Lake Isabella

After a torrential rain storm on Friday and some black clouds on Saturday, Sunday turned out to be a beautiful California day. With all our rain the wildflowers are starting to bloom and everything is green!

So I joined a friend and his buds on their rockets for a ride in the mountains. I kept a slower, more relaxed pace and enjoyed some really nice scenery. Thought you might, too.

What way to go, which way to go?

A brief stop on a road out of Oildale leading to the 155.

This is what the road is like the whole way to the lake. Great riding, but quite a bit of sand in the corners which made for slow going, at least for me.

There was quite a bit of this matter on the side of the road. I stopped to see if I could identify it. Cold, wet, quite unpleasant. I left it where it lay and rode on.

After miles of twisties, I finally came upon the lake which is quite full after all our rain.

The current issue of RoadRunner magazine features four day-rides (a cloverleaf tour) out of Bakersfield and they gave Nelda's an honorable mention. I second it: great burgers!

Now well fed and ready to head home, we turned onto the 178, a twisty, in places treacherous, canyon road that parallels the Kern River.

Again, loads of twisties. Lots of traffic today, especially the two-wheeled kind.

Finally, it would seem, spring is here!

A couple of shots of the Kern churning down the valley. . . .

With temps in the low 80s, my bug collector was working overtime today.

One last look before heading home.

Last edited by SNC 1923; 03-07-2005 at 02:56 AM.