Thread: Raleigh NC to Bloomsburg PA....Best Route

Question Raleigh NC to Bloomsburg PA....Best Route

I'll be heading to the rally from the Raleigh NC area and I'm looking for an interesting route.

I'll be leaving Wednesday 7-20 or Thursday 7-21 if anyone is interested in traveling together.

Thanks
    Ken
    2009 F800GS

Steve
    The simplest (assuming you want to staff off of interstates) would be to pick up 15 in Chapel Hill or Durham and stay on it all the way to Bloomsburg. The funnest would be to take the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive through Virginia to Front Royal, then maybe 340 to Frederick, MD and pick up 15 there.

Last edited by Visian; 05-28-2011 at 05:52 AM.
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Head over to Greensboro take RT 220 north to State College PA Then RT 45 east will get you close. But slow going at times.
    Why not ride the interstate and get to Bloomsburg a day early and ride the roads around the Rally site before all those BMWs crowd the roads?
    tony
    We're not here for a long time
    We're here for a good time HUEY LEWIS

2007 R1200RT, 2003 F650CS

NC to Rally

We have four riders leaving on Tuesday morning from Hillsborough, NC. We will travel on 86 N to Danville, head west on 158 to Martinsville, N on 220 to Roanoke and into West Virginia on 39 and then through WV on Rt 28 to spend the night at Smoke Hole Resort. On Wednesday, we travel east to Hancock, MD and into PA on 522. We will pick up 75 and 274 to head northeast. We will cross the Susquehanna and proceed on 147 to 225 to Shamokin and then travel to Catawissa and arrive in Bloomsburg on Wednesday afternoon.

Coming back to NC on Saturday, we will take 11/15 through Gettysburg and then 15 south through VA and spend the night at Warrenton. Sunday, we will travel to NC.

Bill
    BMW R1200R
    Alpine White

Thanks for the info. Hwy 15 looks like a good route. No GPS just paper maps, old school style. I have limited time off from work, so I'll be trying to make it up to PA in one day.
    2009 F800GS

I'm planning to leave from Charlotte on Wednesday. Depending on the weather and traffic I might make it a one or two day trip to Rally Grounds.

Leaving Tuesday

I will be leaving the beach [near Wilmington, NC] Tuesday morning.

I will take Hwy 421 North toward Sanford then go over to Hwy 86 near Hillsborough. It will be route 86 to Danville, VA. where I will pick up I-81 for 181 miles before getting on Hwy 11 which will take me into the rally.

I normally avoid interstate travel, but I-81 through that section is some great travel. I avoid I-95 at ALL costs.

My riding time should be around 12 hours but i will add an hour to that for stops. I should be at the rally before dark. I hate riding after dark. Too many close calls from deer for me.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.